[OT] Be on the lookout for mysterious charges on your land line bill

LabattBlue

This happened to me(spyware monthly service for $12.95) on last months Verizon landline bill. I had to call ILD, demand that this be stopped as I never requested it, and then had Verizon block my account from any other 3rd party billing attempts.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/ild.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3078500/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/phone-bill-cramming-spikes-again/#.TmZ3MDuLE50

You still have a land line? Cut the cord! Add another cell line to use as a home phone and save $15.00 per month. Then, chuck it in a basket and never charge it - everyone I want to talk to has my cell number, and I am never interrupted by telemarketers again. If you get curious, you can plug the "home" cell phone in once every six months and check your messages.

You still have a land line? Cut the cord! Add another cell line to use as a home phone and save $15.00 per month. Then, chuck it in a basket and never charge it - everyone I want to talk to has my cell number, and I am never interrupted by telemarketers again. If you get curious, you can plug the "home" cell phone in once every six months and check your messages.

Seriously, my parents are older than dirt and they got rid of their's years ago. I'm going a decade strong without a land line.

You are both right. I am getting ripped off by Verizon, constantly bothered by telemarketers, and living in the past.

This happened to me(spyware monthly service for $12.95) on last months Verizon landline bill. I had to call ILD, demand that this be stopped as I never requested it, and then had Verizon block my account from any other 3rd party billing attempts.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/ild.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3078500/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/phone-bill-cramming-spikes-again/#.TmZ3MDuLE50

We still have one as well... My telecommunications bill is ridiculous. We keep the land line for the DSL. No FioS in my hood yet. Could switch to Comcast now that I have divorced myself from the DirecTV's iconclastic hold on me for Sunday Ticket. Have a service rep coming out on Friday. If they can't fix that POS, I'm pulling that dish off the roof..

It truly is amazing how much we spend on staying connected. In my household we have 1 land line, 1 DSL line, DirecTV, four cell phones, 1 air card, 1 wireless router and 1 wireless signal booster.... And then on top of that, everyone and their brother now has wireless in their home jamming the waves...

Some points to consider before chucking the land line-

You can place your phone number (land line or cell) on the National Do Not Call Registry (Do Not Call). There are exceptions, but it will cut back about 95% on telemarketing calls. (I have both of my phone numbers on the list because, you guessed it: telemarketers have gotten hold of my cell number.)

In case of a disaster/weather incident (and there have been a number of those recently), land lines will likely function when cell phones may not. Land lines (I'm talking regular old phone lines, not VOIP or FIOS) are on their own network with its own power supply. That is why land lines continue to work even when the power is out in your neighborhood. The phone company also has backup generators which will keep the (low) voltage flowing during a regional outage. Also, if there is a power outage for more than a day or so, you'll have to use your car charger to power up your cell.

As was seen after the earthquake on the East Coast, there were not enough cellular connections available in the larger cities and many cell users could not get a call through. The cell companies are under no legal obligation to have a certain number of connections available during disasters, emergencies, etc.

I'm not advocating keeping a land line necessarily (and I certainly don't work for Verizon or anything), but sometimes we are too quick to adopt trust in a system that isn't really complete. There are still areas of the country not covered by cell signals. In fact there are a number of areas around Buffalo (and other cities, I'm sure) where getting a cell signal isn't always possible. I'm going to hang on to my land line a bit longer, although I will be switching to their most basic plan (about $20 a month just to be hooked up, plus 9 cents per local call.)

In case of a disaster/weather incident (and there have been a number of those recently), land lines will likely function when cell phones may not. Land lines (I'm talking regular old phone lines, not VOIP or FIOS) are on their own network with its own power supply. That is why land lines continue to work even when the power is out in your neighborhood. The phone company also has backup generators which will keep the (low) voltage flowing during a regional outage. Also, if there is a power outage for more than a day or so, you'll have to use your car charger to power up your cell.

As was seen after the earthquake on the East Coast, there were not enough cellular connections available in the larger cities and many cell users could not get a call through. The cell companies are under no legal obligation to have a certain number of connections available during disasters, emergencies, etc.

This. We ran into this when we lived in Florida a few years back and hurricanes hit. The land line was the only thing working - it took nearly a full day after the hurricane had hit for the demand on the cell circuits to ease to the point we could use our cell phones.

Like Sabre Dance I'm not saying keep it in case of power outages but it is something to consider.

This. We ran into this when we lived in Florida a few years back and hurricanes hit. The land line was the only thing working - it took nearly a full day after the hurricane had hit for the demand on the cell circuits to ease to the point we could use our cell phones.

Like Sabre Dance I'm not saying keep it in case of power outages but it is something to consider.

Agreed. Here in the Washington DC area we've had a minor earthquake, hurricane residue and tropical storm residue. The land line has worked through all. Can't say the same for the cell phone. My wife works from home and the telephone is her lifeline. Don't chuck the landline without thinking through your situation.

Agreed. Here in the Washington DC area we've had a minor earthquake, hurricane residue and tropical storm residue. The land line has worked through all. Can't say the same for the cell phone. My wife works from home and the telephone is her lifeline. Don't chuck the landline without thinking through your situation.

Just to add on: for my FIOS install (which I only use Internet for, not phone) included a small battery backup unit which the installer claimed was so the system would continue to work during a power outage. When my power was out during Irene, I didn't have anything else on to test with though. Cell phone functioned throughout the power outage, but that's because the outages were local here (my neighborhood was out, but a mile away power was still on).

I've been using VOIPo.com. Seems to work pretty well, other than it won't work during a power outage unless you have you internet gear on a UPS.

Just to add on: for my FIOS install (which I only use Internet for, not phone) included a small battery backup unit which the installer claimed was so the system would continue to work during a power outage. When my power was out during Irene, I didn't have anything else on to test with though. Cell phone functioned throughout the power outage, but that's because the outages were local here (my neighborhood was out, but a mile away power was still on).

I've been using VOIPo.com. Seems to work pretty well, other than it won't work during a power outage unless you have you internet gear on a UPS.

True, FIOS does have a battery back-up but I think it only functions for 8 hours or something to that effect. Back during the October surprise snow storm a couple years back, my friend was without power for 13 days. If he had FIOS, the battery would have been gone in one. Certainly, that event was a once-in-a-quarter-century thing, but it gives one pause. (That's pause, not paws. It couldn't really give you paws, could it? I mean, like bear paws? That have really sharp claws? You know, bear claws? Actually, I could go for an almond bearclaw. They are sooo good with a cup of nice, strong coffee. What? Oh, sorry...I was rambling. It's Friday, it's late and I can't wait to leave the office....) :blink:

Archived