Salary cap trades are necessary

PotentPowerPlay22

I haven't seen this topic discussed since Darcy Regier stated that the team will get under the salary cap by trading rather than sending players to the minors.

If so, then who are likely guys to get traded? I am curious, but have no strong idea.

I have a feeling at least one defenseman and maybe two forwards will be dealt. I wouldn't miss two of these three too much: Boyes, Hecht, or Gaustad . Morrison and Kotalik are whipping boys, and I suspect Morrison could go. I don't think anybody wants Kotalik.

Given that Buffalo has the option of sending Kotalik and Morrisson to Rochester to get under the cap, it's extremely unlikely that they'll move any key roster players in a trade. I do believe that Darcy is probably looking around for trades, but I'm guessing it would be one of the potential "odd men out" being moved-- Boyes, Kotalik, Morrisson, or Hecht. Just stating the obvious here, but basically I'm saying that, spare the event of a "mini-blockbuster" deal, the Sabres aren't going to HAVE to move somebody that we don't want to. No moving Ennis, or Gerbe, or Stafford, or Pommer, or Roy..

I think Darcy was just being politically correct when he stated that.

I wouldn't read into it too much, I expect to see kotalik in Rochester, and Morrison to be there or unloaded for a pick.

I thought Darcy was being sincere. I could be wrong, but he spoke strongly that his desire was to move people via trade. He also needs to create some space for some big contracts due next year.

I have a feeling people in Sabreland are going to be very surprised when he trades a so called "core" player.

I thought Darcy was being sincere. I could be wrong, but he spoke strongly that his desire was to move people via trade. He also needs to create some space for some big contracts due next year.

I have a feeling people in Sabreland are going to be very surprised when he trades a so called "core" player.

Yeah.

His jersey number has a 2 and a 9 in it.

Oh, I'm sure he was being sincere. He sincerely would rather trade Kotalik or Morrisonn than pay them millions to play in Rochester. :thumbsup:

I think Morrisonn and Boyes are likely out. Morrisonn for sure will get traded. He's an NHL calibre defenseman. He's just not a good fit here, and someone will trade a late round pick for him, I'm sure of it.

I think Boyes will be the surprise trade. I think the Sabres will keep Kotalik and trade Boyes to get under the cap. Boyes at $4m gives them a bit more cap space to play with, and I think he's gone. Boyes + Morrisonn eliminates $6m from the cap and gets them about $2.5-$3m under the cap, which is good flex room.

I am pretty sure I am the only one who believes this, but frankly, I think Kotalik may actually be a better fit in Buffalo than Boyes. I think their production is probably about the same, but Kotalik is a killer on the 5-on-3 PP from the point, and he could be the difference in 4-5 wins just from the shootout. The rest of his game of floating around and being a non-impact 5-on-5 in my mind isn't that different from what Boyes brings at $1 million more cap hit. Like I said, I am likely the only person in the world who believes this, but it's my opinion.

and he could be the difference in 4-5 wins just from the shootout.

I'll have to dig up the post where I estimated the difference of having Kotalik vs. the next best option in the shootout would only result in maybe 1-2 points over the whole season. That's before any negative effects of ...

The rest of his game of floating around and being a non-impact 5-on-5

I'll have to dig up the post where I estimated the difference of having Kotalik vs. the next best option in the shootout would only result in maybe 1-2 points over the whole season. That's before any negative effects of ...

Is that on a year-over-year basis or during this year? Remember, they were a 7th seed last season and 4-5 additional wins probably puts them as 4 seed. Let's also assume you are right and it's only 1-2 points, that probably gets them to the 5-6 seed (assuming all things being equal).

The net impact of the negative result of him on 5-on-5 could negate the 4-5 wins I mentioned before getting a net positive benefit of an additional 1-2 points. The question then becomes a former 40 goal scorer who has become a less than 20 goal scorer at a high cap hit in Boyes, does he bring more than Kotalik? It's tough to say. Certainly not if he's playing center, I think we can all agree on that. But, if he's playing his natural right wing position, is Boyes more of an impact player than Kotalik if you account for Kotalik's PP slap shot and shootout ability versus Boyes's better overall game and less defensive liability? I don't know the answer, but I could see a situation where they trade Boyes cause he gives them more cap room and not that much more upside than Kotalik. Like I said, I was not terribly impressed with Boyes's stint in Buffalo although it was more successful than Moore and Torres before him, I'll say that.

Is that on a year-over-year basis or during this year? Remember, they were a 7th seed last season and 4-5 additional wins probably puts them as 4 seed. Let's also assume you are right and it's only 1-2 points, that probably gets them to the 5-6 seed (assuming all things being equal).

I'm saying that if you add Kotalik to the lineup, you gain maybe 1-2 points - over the course of an entire season - from the shootouts alone. That's not considering any effects that having him in the lineup has on the rest of the game. That's simply "if we reach the shootout roughly X times per seasons, how many additional points can we expect from those games?" It's not nearly as much as you would think.

The net impact of the negative result of him on 5-on-5 could negate the 4-5 wins I mentioned before getting a net positive benefit of an additional 1-2 points.

I'm confused. You said 4-5 wins just from the shootout, which I'm saying would actually be maybe 1-2. So, you don't get 4-5 wins and 1-2 points. You get 1-2 more shootout wins, which don't count as "wins" in the tie-breaker, and that gets you 1-2 more points. Then, I'm saying that those 1-2 points could easily be negated - again, over the course of the season - by the rest of his play.

The question then becomes a former 40 goal scorer who has become a less than 20 goal scorer at a high cap hit in Boyes, does he bring more than Kotalik? It's tough to say. Certainly not if he's playing center, I think we can all agree on that. But, if he's playing his natural right wing position, is Boyes more of an impact player than Kotalik if you account for Kotalik's PP slap shot and shootout ability versus Boyes's better overall game and less defensive liability? I don't know the answer, but I could see a situation where they trade Boyes cause he gives them more cap room and not that much more upside than Kotalik. Like I said, I was not terribly impressed with Boyes's stint in Buffalo although it was more successful than Moore and Torres before him, I'll say that.

I would definitely rather have Boyes at wing than Kotalik. However, if Boyes is at center, then either Hecht is at wing instead or a center is hurt. I don't think that the first case happens, as Lindy seems to actually like Hecht at center (as much as I don't, Pommer did have his highest point season while on Hecht's wing for more than half of it.) As for the second case, if you have Kotalik instead, then do you call up Adam? Do you move Gaustad to the third line and have Cody center the fourth? I'm not sure that either of those options is better than Boyes at center.

I really hope the Sabres keep Boyes. I believe they traded for him to play in Buffalo for the 2011/12 season. Yes, Boyes cost more thank Kotalik, but he is also better than Kotalik. I keep thinking about the standout year he had w/ the Blues a couple of years ago. The system/style of play change for the Blues had a major impact on his game. Now that he has been in Buffalo for a bit of time, I think he may have a season like he had a couple of seasons ago. Plus, it's a contract year for him. It give Boyes more incentive to put up the numbers. Say bye bye to Kotalik.

I really hope the Sabres keep Boyes. I believe they traded for him to play in Buffalo for the 2011/12 season. Yes, Boyes cost more thank Kotalik, but he is also better than Kotalik. I keep thinking about the standout year he had w/ the Blues a couple of years ago. The system/style of play change for the Blues had a major impact on his game. Now that he has been in Buffalo for a bit of time, I think he may have a season like he had a couple of seasons ago. Plus, it's a contract year for him. It give Boyes more incentive to put up the numbers. Say bye bye to Kotalik.

I know a bunch of folks are hopping on the trade Boyes bus, but I for one don't think it will happen. Boyes represents the first move of the Pegula era. To trade him would turn him into a rental. I don't see that happening.

I know a bunch of folks are hopping on the trade Boyes bus, but I for one don't think it will happen. Boyes represents the first move of the Pegula era. To trade him would turn him into a rental. I don't see that happening.

I would hope something like that wouldn't matter to this front office. The goal is to win.

I would hope something like that wouldn't matter to this front office. The goal is to win.

I'd like to believe they saw enough in his game for the long term. Put him at his natural position and let him go a full season.

I'd like to believe they saw enough in his game for the long term. Put him at his natural position and let him go a full season.

Boyes is a goal scorer that failed to score 20 goals the past two seasons. Considering the Sabres Cap situation it may be the wiser move to trade him.

If it's for a top line player it will be Pominville plus. (ex. Pominville, Sekera, 1st for Iginla) The salary is a virtual wash.

If it's simply to move cap space for picks it will be Morrisson to NYI, COL or PHX. Kotalik won't be traded, he has no value to any other team. I also think Kotalik will surprise some people and put together a good training camp and maybe earn a spot on the roster. I bet Darcy believes Al can be a 20 goal scorer again here and Ruff may use him on the point on the PP. If they feel this way, Boyes could be expendable. Personally I'd rather keep Boyes and put Kotalik in Rochester. Besides I'm sure someone will be injured up front early on so he'll get his chance.

Another possibility is moving Boyes to PHX for Stempniak or maybe even moving Boyes, 2nd, prospect for Hanzal.

If it's for a top line player it will be Pominville plus. (ex. Pominville, Sekera, 1st for Iginla) The salary is a virtual wash.

If it's simply to move cap space for picks it will be Morrisson to NYI, COL or PHX. Kotalik won't be traded, he has no value to any other team. I also think Kotalik will surprise some people and put together a good training camp and maybe earn a spot on the roster. I bet Darcy believes Al can be a 20 goal scorer again here and Ruff may use him on the point on the PP. If they feel this way, Boyes could be expendable. Personally I'd rather keep Boyes and put Kotalik in Rochester. Besides I'm sure someone will be injured up front early on so he'll get his chance.

Another possibility is moving Boyes to PHX for Stempniak or maybe even moving Boyes, 2nd, prospect for Hanzal.

Hey how about a source for your Pominville/Sekera rumor in the other thread? Exactly WHO posted that on their facebook?

You just traded a former 40goal scorer, a 2nd round pick and a prospect for a 24yr old whose best season saw him get 35pts... and who only ever got to the 16g plateau in 4years, honestly if Phoenix needs to hit the cap floor or needs a c/rw with boyes production possibility they would trade Hanzal for him probably straight up... Hanzal right now is just big... not showing a lot more than being physical. your trading a 2nd line winger for a 3/4 center. seems overpayment once you throw picks n prospects in.

Archived