Win Jet/ Former Canuck, Rick Rypien

Hawk

Of all the positions in hockey it seems the pugilists are the tormented souls.

I think there are two things in play here.

1. I think it takes a truly antisocial personality to enjoy handing out beatings, and my gut tells me most of these guys are not that antisocial. They do it because they know it's the only way to make big money with the skill sets that they have. I think our Andrew Peters is a great example. Once he got off the supplements you could tell his heart wasn't in most fights. He didn't want to fight, he did it because it was expected of him.

2. Concussions. Depression is a side effect of concussions. These guys are huge and insanely strong. I'm betting there are alot of post fight concussions that don't get diagnosed.

1. I think it takes a truly antisocial personality to enjoy handing out beatings, and my gut tells me most of these guys are not that antisocial. They do it because they know it's the only way to make big money with the skill sets that they have. I think our Andrew Peters is a great example. Once he got off the supplements you could tell his heart wasn't in most fights. He didn't want to fight, he did it because it was expected of him.

2. Concussions. Depression is a side effect of concussions. These guys are huge and insanely strong. I'm betting there are alot of post fight concussions that don't get diagnosed.

Mazlows Hierarchy of needs, these guys don't score highly. Boxing is 'seen' to have an honor, wrestling is acting. These are just professional fighters.

Sad loss.

EDIT: Why did someone negative this?

To whomever dinged me for this post, would you care to discuss whatever it was that you found disagreeable? Were you offended because I offered up my opinion of why fighters seem to have more issues with inner demons than other players?

To whomever dinged me for this post, would you care to discuss whatever it was that you found disagreeable? Were you offended because I offered up my opinion of why fighters seem to have more issues with inner demons than other players?

COZ UZ IS WRONG GEEZ! FIGHTERZ ARE DA BOMB! ;)

I think Rypien battled depression to begin with. But I hope the family allows for research.

I didn't "ding" you but I don't think many hockey fights result in concussions. A few, sure.

I also don't think Andrew Peters is a great example of a guy with a normal disposition. I've met him, and I think the guy is 100% bully.

I agree and your post was very good, I rectified the negative ding....... :beer:

RIP Rick

Mazlows Hierarchy of needs, these guys don't score highly. Boxing is 'seen' to have an honor, wrestling is acting. These are just professional fighters.

Sometimes, it is strange to read how some of the fighters at one point were actually goal scorers, like Domi, Probert, Schultz etc.

I think Rypien battled depression to begin with. But I hope the family allows for research.

I wasn't thinking specifically of Rypien, it was more of a general response to Bunomatic's post. I know Rypien missed most of last season with "personal issues' but don't know the details.

I didn't "ding" you but I don't think many hockey fights result in concussions. A few, sure.

I also don't think Andrew Peters is a great example of a guy with a normal disposition. I've met him, and I think the guy is 100% bully.

well, then I got nuthin to explain Peters....

Sometimes, it is strange to read how some of the fighters at one point were actually goal scorers, like Domi, Probert, Schultz etc.

Compared to average offensive players in the NHL, fighters tend to be less skilled. But they are still as skilled as the average player in the AHL. It's all relative. In lesser leagues, they were often stars. Even the goons are phenomenal skaters. If you don't think so, try to fight on the ice some time. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Compared to average offensive players in the NHL, fighters tend to be less skilled. But they are still as skilled as the average player in the AHL. It's all relative. In lesser leagues, they were often stars. Even the goons are phenomenal skaters. If you don't think so, try to fight on the ice some time. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Kaletas dad has often said its the big fish in a small pond kind of thing back in the day pat was tearing it up and even in the OHL he was still a decent scorer who could turn it on at times.

Archived