[OT] Apostrophes have dramatic effects on words...

SDS

nice.

it annoys me to no end that canada's francophone [sic] laws require that tim horton's be branded as tim hortons.

If you guys will allow me to play this off into a tangent, I came across this completely by accident. Go to the link, scroll all the way down to the section "Products renamed to avoid offence", and look up "Buick had to rename..." and read the rest of it. It was so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing for several minutes.

Thanks, francophones. You know how to ruin a good thing... <_<

If you guys will allow me to play this off into a tangent, I came across this completely by accident. Go to the link, scroll all the way down to the section "Products renamed to avoid offence", and look up "Buick had to rename..." and read the rest of it. It was so hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing for several minutes.

For those of you not in Utah, you'll recognize the mayonnaise brand Hellmanns. When I moved out here in 1995, I scoured every store I could find, trying to locate some. I called around, asked store managers ... NO ONE carried it. I thought it was ridiculous.

After a couple of trips to the local store (Albertsons), I saw a familiar looking label on the condiments shelf, tucked away on the bottom shelf. Yellow background, blue text ... looked *just* like a Hellmanns label, except it was called "Best Foods." I bought a small jar, took it home, and taste tested it. Sure enough, it was Hellmanns re-branded to "Best Foods" for the Utah market.

This from the land of "heck," "fetch," "flip," and "biscuit" for swear words. Awesome.

For those of you not in Utah, you'll recognize the mayonnaise brand Hellmanns. When I moved out here in 1995, I scoured every store I could find, trying to locate some. I called around, asked store managers ... NO ONE carried it. I thought it was ridiculous.

After a couple of trips to the local store (Albertsons), I saw a familiar looking label on the condiments shelf, tucked away on the bottom shelf. Yellow background, blue text ... looked *just* like a Hellmanns label, except it was called "Best Foods." I bought a small jar, took it home, and taste tested it. Sure enough, it was Hellmanns re-branded to "Best Foods" for the Utah market.

This from the land of "heck," "fetch," "flip," and "biscuit" for swear words. Awesome.

Don't know if it is still so, but the Hellmann's label used to say "Known as Best Foods west of the Mississippi" or something to that effect. Ya, those punctuation thingies can get you into problems. So can misplacing a space:

Roger Willis, Therapist

Roger Willis, The rapist

Oops....

Don't know if it is still so, but the Hellmann's label used to say "Known as Best Foods west of the Mississippi" or something to that effect. Ya, those punctuation thingies can get you into problems. So can misplacing a space:

Roger Willis, Therapist

Roger Willis, The rapist

Oops....

reminds me of all those "celebrity jeopardy" SNL skits where "sean connery" screws up the pronunciation. "bon apetit" is not "bon ape tit".

I thought this one was particularly appropriate, given the general characterization of drivers of these vehicles:

"The Honda Fit was originally intended to be named the "Fitta", but the name was shortened and in some markets renamed completely upon discovering that in several Nordic languages, "fitta" is a vulgar word for the female genitalia."

I thought this one was particularly appropriate, given the general characterization of drivers of these vehicles:

"The Honda Fit was originally intended to be named the "Fitta", but the name was shortened and in some markets renamed completely upon discovering that in several Nordic languages, "fitta" is a vulgar word for the female genitalia."

I read that too.

But, hey. Volvo could be mistaken for V u l v a, given that some of the XX chromosomes who drive those things act like they own the road and have such a snobbish attitude.

I've held this philosophy for quite some time: one's driving habits are a reflection of their personality and attitude.

Now, in an attempt to tie things in with a tangent, those XX's need to take a side trip to Scott's second pic at the start of the thread for their next "oil change". Maybe they'll mellow out a bit after that.

Archived