Bob McKenzie - Keep an Eye on the Sabres

Gramps

Please don't expect a Richards announcement at 12:01 Friday. He probably won't decide until Saturday at the earliest. If I were he, I would gather up the offers, reduce them down to 3 or 4 and then sleep on it. Makes sense that he'll do the same unless he already knows where he wants to go.

I think that McKenzie over-estimates the amount of cap room the Sabres are going to end up with. Not to be a wet blanket, but stashing Kotalik and Morrisonn in Rochester only gets us up to $16 Million or so. Moving Brad Boyes gets us up to $20 Million and newly acquired D Christian Ehrhoff (who I've been huge on for a while) was looking north of $5 Million when negotiating with Garth Snow.

And we need to re-sign Tyler Myers, Cody McCormick, our young defenders and Enroth.

Colour me exceptionally excited going into tomorrow and Friday. And nervous.

Let's Go Buf-fa-lo!!!

Please don't expect a Richards announcement at 12:01 Friday. He probably won't decide until Saturday at the earliest. If I were he, I would gather up the offers, reduce them down to 3 or 4 and then sleep on it. Makes sense that he'll do the same unless he already knows where he wants to go.

I don't expect him to decide 5 minutes into FA, but I do expect him to decide that day.

He claims he wants to win the SC again. Not hamstringing the team he's going to sign with for a couple of days while guys like Wisniewski and Ehrhoff are getting signed elsewhere because they don't know exactly what their cap situation is would help in the cause.

I think that McKenzie over-estimates the amount of cap room the Sabres are going to end up with. Not to be a wet blanket, but stashing Kotalik and Morrisonn in Rochester only gets us up to $16 Million or so. Moving Brad Boyes gets us up to $20 Million and newly acquired D Christian Ehrhoff (who I've been huge on for a while) was looking north of $5 Million when negotiating with Garth Snow.

And we need to re-sign Tyler Myers, Cody McCormick, our young defenders and Enroth.

Colour me exceptionally excited going into tomorrow and Friday. And nervous.

Let's Go Buf-fa-lo!!!

C'mon, moving Brad Boyes? Why would we do that? Seems Hecht is better for that. We just got Boyes, and he gave us a spark until we moved him to C. Lets give him a chance!!!!!

I don't expect him to decide 5 minutes into FA, but I do expect him to decide that day.

He claims he wants to win the SC again. Not hamstringing the team he's going to sign with for a couple of days while guys like Wisniewski and Ehrhoff are getting signed elsewhere because they don't know exactly what their cap situation is would help in the cause.

Not to mention that if he starts playing around with teams a bit, they could just as easily turn somewhere else. The big free agents are always snapped up within the first half of the day and it will be no different here.

Not to mention that if he starts playing around with teams a bit, they could just as easily turn somewhere else. The big free agents are always snapped up within the first half of the day and it will be no different here.

Where else would they turn? Talbot? Connelly? Really???

Myers' contract ends in a year (7/1/12). They can start negotiation on Friday, but the new deal wouldn't start until after next season.

When looking at the money, I'm looking at next season as well. If I pay to tie up everyone else and overpay on other guys, where's my money for that contract? I don't want to depend on the cap going up, because it's not certain.

C'mon, moving Brad Boyes? Why would we do that? Seems Hecht is better for that. We just got Boyes, and he gave us a spark until we moved him to C. Lets give him a chance!!!!!

Listen, I'm a huge supporter of Boyes. It's my belief that he gripped it tight when he was forced back to a playmaking role versus a scoring role (and having to, ya know, win draws) and that he had no chemistry to work with when he went back to the wing during the playoffs.

That being said...

Hecht is cheaper and a superior 2-way player. With guys like Ennis and Gerbe developing, the emergence of Drew Stafford and the fact that we're not going to be able to move a guy like Pominville's contract because it's so high and he's so very injured.

Boyes gives us the best money back we're going to get and is the most expendable.

When looking at the money, I'm looking at next season as well. If I pay to tie up everyone else and overpay on other guys, where's my money for that contract? I don't want to depend on the cap going up, because it's not certain.

Listen, I'm a huge supporter of Boyes. It's my belief that he gripped it tight when he was forced back to a playmaking role versus a scoring role (and having to, ya know, win draws) and that he had no chemistry to work with when he went back to the wing during the playoffs.

That being said...

Hecht is cheaper and a superior 2-way player. With guys like Ennis and Gerbe developing, the emergence of Drew Stafford and the fact that we're not going to be able to move a guy like Pominville's contract because it's so high and he's so very injured.

Boyes gives us the best money back we're going to get and is the most expendable.

Hecht is gett 500k less than boyes and plays about 1m less. Hecht is a better two way forward but boyes has more offensive punch. THis team needs less 10-15 goals 2 way forwards and more scoring depth.

Hecht is gett 500k less than boyes and plays about 1m less. Hecht is a better two way forward but boyes has more offensive punch. THis team needs less 10-15 goals 2 way forwards and more scoring depth.

Hecht may also be used as the German fishing bait to lure Ehrhoff to sign.

One thing to note, I'm not sure we are going to see a bunch of overpaid salaries in the minors this year as we have seen in years past. The Cap floor has gone up so much and there are a bunch of teams that aren't even close to reaching the cap floor case in point Florida and the Brian Campbell trade. I do believe that there will be the ability to dump some unwanted salaries off the Sabres books to another team, which is great because it will likely stockpile the Sabres with some draft picks.

By end of next week, I expect the Sabres to be about $3-$5M over the salary cap. Meaning, all they would likely have to do is trade Morrisson and one of Hecht, Boyes, or Kotalik and they are back in good cap shape. Morrisson will get traded as he is a competent NHL calibre defenseman who just had a subpar year with the Sabres and there will be teams looking to hit the cap floor.

If the Sabres are successful in signing Ehrhoff, I have a hunch that Hecht will not be going anywhere due to both being German Nationals, maybe/maybe not, but just my hunch. That leaves Boyes and Kotalik, and I do believe one of them will likely get traded. Also given Pominville's injury, there may not even be a sense of urgency to trade anyone as they can go over the cap during the season by up to Pominville's cap number depending on when he comes back. I think the Sabres will be fine from a cap perspective, and they won't have to hide anyone in Rochester because a bunch of teams will be desperate just to reach the Cap Floor.

Archived