Chances of Adam & Kassian making roster?

Barnabov

Came across this article & wondering if these 2 are ready to grab roster spots this year?

My link

Adam I can see getting added into the Center mix (praying that the Rangers or some other losers give Connolly a big UFA contract & save us from more years of "potential"). Zassian I would guess needs a year in the AHL with some callups, even if he has an awesome training camp.

Even before these 2 guys, there are 10 signed forwards, 1 RFA (Gerbe) & 1 UFA that might get re-signed (McCormick).

Defense corps is similarly full - 4 signed, 3 RFAs that should be resigned & 1 UFA that might be re-signed (Montador).

Any contrarians who think Enroth isn't going to be the backup to Miller?

All in all, not much room to add any UFAs (and not much on the market that's impressive - Connolly is listed on the TSN All-Star UFA list) without trading players away. Should be an interesting opening day of the Free Agency period as on most years.

Sorry if this has been hashed over already or should be posted in another pinned thread - my wife just had a baby & haven't been online much in the past week.

Sorry if this has been hashed over already or should be posted in another pinned thread - my wife just had a baby & haven't been online much in the past week.

Congratulations to your wife and the father! ;)

During European trip slim & none respectively.

Interesting - would have thought Adam could make the jump having been AHL Rookie of the year but maybe the smart money is on Buffalo signing some high end veterans and letting the youth develop another year in the AHL. Trouble is to my amateur eye, there doesn't seem to be a lot of quality on the free agent market - especially of good value when you think of the stupid money that will be thrown at the top UFAs. That's why it's so good that we were able to trade for Regehr - hope we can pull off a similar deal for a 1/2 Centerman.

Interesting - would have thought Adam could make the jump having been AHL Rookie of the year but maybe the smart money is on Buffalo signing some high end veterans and letting the youth develop another year in the AHL. Trouble is to my amateur eye, there doesn't seem to be a lot of quality on the free agent market - especially of good value when you think of the stupid money that will be thrown at the top UFAs. That's why it's so good that we were able to trade for Regehr - hope we can pull off a similar deal for a 1/2 Centerman.

There's an outside chance Adam could be on the roster (thus the chances being 'slim') but DR is on record as saying he's going to try to get a forward in FA. He's also mentioned being active on the trade market (as we saw this past week). The safe money would be to assume he's looking for a center as the forward(s) he's 'kicking the tires on'.

Personally, I don't think Adam is ready for the big club just yet. I'd expect him to be the 1st center called up from Ra-cha-cha, probably after 2nd center goes down (as my gut feel is that Hecht is pencilled in on a wing and 1st emergency center) and if he does well then he stays up for a while (permanently?).

If they can't land any legit outside centers, I think they'd start the year w/ Roy, Hecht, Connolly/low grade FA, & Goose before adding Adam to the mix.

IOf that's what you want why not just move Gerbe? :bag:

He's also a lot faster. You can teach maturity; you can't teach speed.

I think it's the other way around. Speed can be taught in skating clinics. Maturity just comes with age (assuming one grows internally as well as chronologically). Tkachuk was still a kid even when he was an adult. Remember him trashing that hotel room when playing for the American Olypic Squad? I'm not sure Kassian is that much different at this time.

I think it's the other way around. Speed can be taught in skating clinics. Maturity just comes with age (assuming one grows internally as well as chronologically). Tkachuk was still a kid even when he was an adult. Remember him trashing that hotel room when playing for the American Olypic Squad? I'm not sure Kassian is that much different at this time.

Have you seen what some of the middle aged players on the Sabres do? Kassian just likes to hurt people. At least he usually keeps it on the ice.

Skating clinics are great for 13-year-olds, and I'm not saying this to be sarcastic. Adam is slow. He always will be slow. I like the kid, but that's a problem.

Kassian, on the other hand, I do not like; I think he's the kid who is going to trash that hotel room. But maturity can happen.

Speed, if you ain't got it, you ain't got it.

And on edit: How many Cups for that Nagano-trashing Keith? 0. And no, I don't think there's a causal connection, but I am pointing it out. JR was on that team too,

Have you seen what some of the middle aged players on the Sabres do? Kassian just likes to hurt people. At least he usually keeps it on the ice.

I don't want the guy who just likes to hurt people on this team. It's not what I want to root for, and, frankly, I think Kassian can be better than that if he wants to be. I can root for Filly or Ottawa or Boston if I want; I choose not to. Goons suck.

I don't want the guy who just likes to hurt people on this team. It's not what I want to root for, and, frankly, I think Kassian can be better than that if he wants to be. I can root for Filly or Ottawa or Boston if I want; I choose not to. Goons suck.

I'm not saying Kassian goes out of his way to hurt people. Just saying he does it. He's large. (I was watching some vids and he was dwarfing Chris Neil.) He's quick for his size and he likes to use all of that to his advantage.

And I don't expect him to be Lucic. He already is Lucic. I want Brendan Shanahan with a mean streak. Forget winning Lady Byng awards. I just want to win cups.

Skating clinics are great for 13-year-olds, and I'm not saying this to be sarcastic. Adam is slow. He always will be slow. I like the kid, but that's a problem.

Kassian, on the other hand, I do not like; I think he's the kid who is going to trash that hotel room. But maturity can happen.

Speed, if you ain't got it, you ain't got it.

And on edit: How many Cups for that Nagano-trashing Keith? 0. And no, I don't think there's a causal connection, but I am pointing it out. JR was on that team too,

A few years ago some Sabres were encouraged to join a speed skating class and their skating improved. So maybe it's not just for kids.

I agree with the Kassian comments. Hurting people just to hurt people is common thuggery. It reminds me of the day we obtained Dave Shultz from Philly. It was the most disgraceful moment in our history IMO.

I'm not saying Kassian goes out of his way to hurt people. Just saying he does it. He's large. (I was watching some vids and he was dwarfing Chris Neil.) He's quick for his size and he likes to use all of that to his advantage.

And I don't expect him to be Lucic. He already is Lucic. I want Brendan Shanahan with a mean streak. Forget winning Lady Byng awards. I just want to win cups.

He does go out of his way. Even did it in a bar. Needs to grow up--and if he does, he'll be one hell of a player. Capable of hurting is great; wanting to hurt isn't, IMO. He'll always be capable.

And agreed on Shanny and Byng. But the kid is not Lucic yet. Not by a long shot. For one thing, his right fourth finger is missing something.

A few years ago some Sabres were encouraged to join a speed skating class and their skating improved. So maybe it's not just for kids.

I agree with the Kassian comments. Hurting people just to hurt people is common thuggery. It reminds me of the day we obtained Dave Shultz from Philly. It was the most disgraceful moment in our history IMO.

Adam never will be a great skater. Just won't. But I'm with you on the other stuff.

He does go out of his way. Even did it in a bar. Needs to grow up--and if he does, he'll be one hell of a player. Capable of hurting is great; wanting to hurt isn't, IMO. He'll always be capable.

And agreed on Shanny and Byng. But the kid is not Lucic yet. Not by a long shot. For one thing, his right fourth finger is missing something.

I really think everyone has this puffed up belief of Lucic. In reality, he's just a big, smashing bastard who's solid on his skates and impossible to move in front of the net. Kassian is big. Kassian smash. From what I've seen, he's good on his skates. We'll see what he can do in front of the net but I know for sure that I like the way he handles the puck which I've not seen much of from Lucic.

I mean, I am being a bit presumptive and we'll probably get a better picture next year. But at this time, I can see Kassian being right where he needs to be to be better than Lucic soon.

Archived