Who to keep on D from Free Agent List  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you sign from Sabres D free agents

• Marc-Andre Gragnani 78.28 RFA $500K
    • Mike Weber 66.88 RFA $550K
    • Steve Montador 67.50 UFA $1.55M
    • Andrej Sekera 65.26 RFA $1.0M
    • Chris Butler 62.45 RFA $850K

Here is an article that lays out some the questions. TSN's Scott Cullen's Offseason Game Plan for the Sabres

On the offensive side, I think you sign Gerbe and McCormick and let the rest go. I hate to let Connolly go because of the shortage of centers and his ability to carry the puck up the ice, but he is not worth the asking price especially with his obvious history of injuries.

The defense is more complicated. I keep Weber for his grit and Gragnani for his puck moving ability and his calm under pressure. The crap shoot is what to do with Sekera, Montador, and Butler. I think you keep one and sign a free agent D. That being said, you probably eliminate Montador from the mix and choose between Butler and Sekera...

Are there any other D from the AHL team wherever it is played next year ready to step up. If so, I keep Montador. If not I guess I hold my nose and keep Butler and let Sekera go but it depends on how much each demands.

? Any thoughts on buying out Hecht's contract... oh darn, he can play center... guess not.

Here is an article that lays out some the questions. TSN's Scott Cullen's Offseason Game Plan for the Sabres

On the offensive side, I think you sign Gerbe and McCormick and let the rest go. I hate to let Connolly go because of the shortage of centers and his ability to carry the puck up the ice, but he is not worth the asking price especially with his obvious history of injuries.

The defense is more complicated. I keep Weber for his grit and Gragnani for his puck moving ability and his calm under pressure. The crap shoot is what to do with Sekera, Montador, and Butler. I think you keep one and sign a free agent D. That being said, you probably eliminate Montador from the mix and choose between Butler and Sekera...

Are there any other D from the AHL team wherever it is played next year ready to step up. If so, I keep Montador. If not I guess I hold my nose and keep Butler and let Sekera go but it depends on how much each demands.

? Any thoughts on buying out Hecht's contract... oh darn, he can play center... guess not.

You re-sign all the RFA's. They'll come cheap (even Sekera will be relatively cheap) and you'll likely use 1-2 of them as parts of the trades that WILL happen this off-season.

As for Monty, depending upon what veteran D-man they bring in and whether they want to drop Morrisohn down to the Amrates (Pierks?) you might try to re-sign him, but I'd more likely expect to see him moving on.

You re-sign all the RFA's. They'll come cheap (even Sekera will be relatively cheap) and you'll likely use 1-2 of them as parts of the trades that WILL happen this off-season.

As for Monty, depending upon what veteran D-man they bring in and whether they want to drop Morrisohn down to the Amrates (Pierks?) you might try to re-sign him, but I'd more likely expect to see him moving on.

Solid on the RFA's. I would suspect Sekera or Bulter are going to be in a trade. My bet is on Sekera, high demand for PMD's, especially young ones with some experience under their belt.

Monty I beleive is gone. If Buffalo is going to improve their defensive position, it's going to be in the Myers shut down partner catagory in my opinion.

Many viable options in FA this off season as well.

I look to the following come next season:

Myers - ? (pick your FA name to insert, or, for those that dream, insert Shea Weber)

Weber - Leopold (looked good together at the end of last year and into the playoff series)

Gragnani - Butler/Morrison/? (Butler may end up back with Myers, although I doubt it, could see him as the 7th dman though, so pick your future here)

7th dman - Bulter/Morrison/?

Just my guess on it.

As the others mentioned, you sign all the RFA's I would guess two will be traded, hopefully for the right price. Weber is the only one I REALLY think must stay. I am hoping Sekera can be shopped at value. Not that I don't like Sekera, it's just that we have other needs. It's be great to keep them all, but not realistic.

Edit -- and who are the big names in D-men UFA's this offseason? All this talk on UFA forwards here, not so much on the D-men. Hopeful's lines above seem close to what I was thinking.

As the others mentioned, you sign all the RFA's I would guess two will be traded, hopefully for the right price. Weber is the only one I REALLY think must stay. I am hoping Sekera can be shopped at value. Not that I don't like Sekera, it's just that we have other needs. It's be great to keep them all, but not realistic.

Edit -- and who are the big names in D-men UFA's this offseason? All this talk on UFA forwards here, not so much on the D-men. Hopeful's lines above seem close to what I was thinking.

http://capgeek.com/ufa_finder.php?position_id=D&stats_type=ICE_TIME the complete list from most expensive to least, and the talk about them is all over a couple different threads including the july 1 thread.

http://capgeek.com/ufa_finder.php?position_id=D&stats_type=ICE_TIME the complete list from most expensive to least, and the talk about them is all over a couple different threads including the july 1 thread.

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=1

The RFA list as well, more names interest me here then on the UFA defenseman list.

I have a feeling that montador, sekera,butler,and leopold are gone and Morrison gets pushed to the farm. I think they keep Myers,Weber,Grangani, and sign two defencemen. I think they get Brewer, Ehroff,or Jovanowski, then I just have a funny feeling about Ian White coming here. Schiestel would have to make the move up as the number 6 but I feel as he could do it. As far as center goes maybe they sign Laich if they can get him for 4 million per or less but I think there maybe an outside shot to make a big move for Stasny but I just have a feeling it will be a younger center possibly from the Islanders or maybe the kid from St Louis for a future pick and possibly Enroth. I think the big trade we are waiting for will to be to get up into the top of the draft to grab a young center maybe Mika Zibanjad. I think just from my gut they are going to style this team similar to the Bruins.I could be way off but I think Sekara, Butler,one of the rightwingers (maybe Boyz or Pomminstein) and the first round pick at 16 could get us a top five pick. Leopold could be dumped for a 3rd round pick somewhat making up for losing our second in the boyz deal.

I have a feeling that montador, sekera,butler,and leopold are gone and Morrison gets pushed to the farm. I think they keep Myers,Weber,Grangani, and sign two defencemen. I think they get Brewer, Ehroff,or Jovanowski, then I just have a funny feeling about Ian White coming here. Schiestel would have to make the move up as the number 6 but I feel as he could do it. As far as center goes maybe they sign Laich if they can get him for 4 million per or less but I think there maybe an outside shot to make a big move for Stasny but I just have a feeling it will be a younger center possibly from the Islanders or maybe the kid from St Louis for a future pick and possibly Enroth. I think the big trade we are waiting for will to be to get up into the top of the draft to grab a young center maybe Mika Zibanjad. I think just from my gut they are going to style this team similar to the Bruins.I could be way off but I think Sekara, Butler,one of the rightwingers (maybe Boyz or Pomminstein) and the first round pick at 16 could get us a top five pick. Leopold could be dumped for a 3rd round pick somewhat making up for losing our second in the boyz deal.

I don't see us dealing Leopold. He gave us too much offense to just get rid of. Yeah, his plus minus was in the red, but offensively, he added a lot to the power play and on even strength play.

Sign 'em all and still look to upgrade through free agency with one of the big name FA defensemen. I'm probably in the minority on this but I like Montador and want him playing for us next year (unless we can somehow pony up the cash for 2 stud FA defensemen). Morrison can be sent down to the AHL and we could look to trade Butler and/or Sekera in a trade package for a center with a team looking for cap relief. If we unload both, Morrison would become our 7th defenseman.

Myers FA (Erhoff, Bieksa, etc.)

Weber Leopold

Gragnani Montador

Butler/Sekera/Morrison - best of the rest as our 7th

I cannot stand Butler. IMO, the softest player in general that I have watched in along time..

I really thought he picked up his physical play in the playoffs. Not to mention Henrik Tallinder and Richard Smehlik crush Chris Butler in the softness category. Not that I think they were bad, just not what you expect out of a couple of 6'3" defensemen.

Archived