Sabres 2011- 2012

LTIZEL

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see playing for the Sabres next year?

Alright here is I think the sabres should and could look like if the salary cap was at 62 mil and this would leave them almost 3 mil left over.

Vanek Roy Pommer

Stafford Spezza(7.0 m) Ennis

Gerbe Laich(3.1m) Kassian

Kaleta Goose McCormick

Myers Liles(4.2 m)

Ehroff(4.0 m) Sekera

Leopold Weber

Back ups: Gragnani and Mcnabb

Goalies: Miller/Enroth

Alright here is I think the sabres should and could look like if the salary cap was at 62 mil and this would leave them almost 3 mil left over.

Vanek Roy Pommer

Kaleta Goose McCormick

Myers Liles(4.2 m)

Ehroff(4.0 m) Sekera

Leopold Weber

What did the team do with Jochen in your scenario?

Seems as though you dropped Hecht, Boyes & Butler. How'd you manage to swing them for Spezza & Liles? Also, I think the contracts for Laich & Ehrhoff are a little light.

I had forgotten about Boyes/didn't notice him missing (seems to be a trend... ;) )

I just figured him and Butler fell off the face of the Earth for a period of time

Seems as though you dropped Hecht, Boyes & Butler. How'd you manage to swing them for Spezza & Liles? Also, I think the contracts for Laich & Ehrhoff are a little light.

Go to july 1st, now we can discuss it thread. We can buyout hecht and save 2 mil this year and 1 next. That would cover for boyes to stay or do whatever. The contract for laich is pretty generous. I took into consideration his regular season and postseason play. He has 23 pts in 37 playoff games. And I also took into consideration that he is a workhorse and almost plays every game, every year. Ehrohoff your right. I didnt take a close look at his stats. and I am actually very shocked. I would give him 5 mil and I wouldnt give liles anywhere over 4.2 He isnt that consisten and he hasnt been a plus player in over 3 years. Yeah I know its the team he is on, but still. I would love to see these 4 guys make the team. I would take Liles, Ehrhoff and Laich anyday over spezza.

Go to july 1st, now we can discuss it thread. We can buyout hecht and save 2 mil this year and 1 next.

Quick note, Hecht buyout saves them 2M this year from his current cap hit, but he still costs $1.53M towards the cap. Next year he costs $1M, saves nothing as he is a UFA after this coming season. http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?player_id=383

As discussed in the thread you noted, Laich is likely to cost in the neighborhood of $4M per year. Liles is still under contract with the Avs.

We need centers badly so I voted for Richards, Laich, and Weiss. I would only take Drury back on a incentive laden deal for 3rd line and PK duties. I also voted for Sharp because the guy is damn good even though as a winger he's a way lower priority than center. I think he's played some center though and if DR/LR think he can be a full time center I'd take him over everyone else on the list including Richards.

The reason why I say Weiss is because Florida is looking to trade him and we could probobly get him at a reasonable price. My (and everybodies) problem with Ritchards is the money he'll soak up, probably north of 8. Laich is a solid, tall center but probobly not ready for the #1 center position, so it would be like having 2 #2 centers(roy). Lastly theirs been some talk aout Sharp or Carter, I like both but the reason why their teams are looking to trade them is to free up cap. So they would want draft picks and one or two of our talented prospects probobly someone like Ennis, Gerbe, Enroth, Sekera, Kassian, Foligno, or Adam.

Vanek Roy Pommer

Kaleta Goose McCormick

Myers Liles(4.2 m)

Ehroff(4.0 m) Sekera

Leopold Weber

How would Roy be #1 over Spezza

Quick note, Hecht buyout saves them 2M this year from his current cap hit, but he still costs $1.53M towards the cap. Next year he costs $1M, saves nothing as he is a UFA after this coming season. http://www.capgeek.c...p?player_id=383

As discussed in the thread you noted, Laich is likely to cost in the neighborhood of $4M per year. Liles is still under contract with the Avs.

If we bought out Hecht's contract he is immediately a UFA.

The reason why I say Weiss is because Florida is looking to trade him and we could probobly get him at a reasonable price.

I haven't heard this anywhere credible. From what I understand, just the opposite is more likely. Florida wants to win NOW. If anything, they are looking to build around him.

If you've seen otherwise I'd apreciate you posting a link cuz that would be an interesting option.

How would Roy be #1 over Spezza

Simple. Vanek is a first line LW. it may surprise many on this board, but Vanek and Roy have always had pretty good chemistry. After all, they played on a line together for the majority of the 06-07 season (vanek broke 40 goals that year).

if we pick up malkin or Richards, i change my tune, but until then, i want Roy and Vanek on a line. The problem with this team nowadays is that past the Roy Pommer Vanek line, we dont have superstar caliber players (spare miller and myers).

When you pick up spezza, the other scoring lines become more viable. The big thing in hockey is flexibility and the ability to roll multiple high level scoring lines. I already went over it a while back, but the more forwards you pick up, the harder it is for the opposition to assign their top pair of D-men.

Look at the current series. Coming into the final Kesler was the x factor vancouver, and not the sedins. Why? because the Sedins are the target of bostons shut down line. That means scoring falls on the shoulders of kesler, who theoretically, doesnt have to deal with Chara.

The same goes with Tampa Bay, because if you put your top pair on St. Louis and Stamkos, Lecavalier commands a line with gagne. Detroit, philly, and the 06-07 sabres are/were the same way. The acquisition of spezza doesnt just make the line he's on better, he makes the team better as a whole, when it makes it harder to assign the oppositions top pairing.

If we bought out Hecht's contract he is immediately a UFA.

Ha, good point, I meant his contract as currently constituted has him as a UFA after 2011-12, so there's no savings on a buyout for that year.

Weiss has a no trade that at the deadline was reported he would only waive to go to Toronto.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/02/28/weiss_leafs/

Simple. Vanek is a first line LW. it may surprise many on this board, but Vanek and Roy have always had pretty good chemistry. After all, they played on a line together for the majority of the 06-07 season (vanek broke 40 goals that year).

if we pick up malkin or Richards, i change my tune, but until then, i want Roy and Vanek on a line. The problem with this team nowadays is that past the Roy Pommer Vanek line, we dont have superstar caliber players (spare miller and myers).

When you pick up spezza, the other scoring lines become more viable. The big thing in hockey is flexibility and the ability to roll multiple high level scoring lines. I already went over it a while back, but the more forwards you pick up, the harder it is for the opposition to assign their top pair of D-men.

Look at the current series. Coming into the final Kesler was the x factor vancouver, and not the sedins. Why? because the Sedins are the target of bostons shut down line. That means scoring falls on the shoulders of kesler, who theoretically, doesnt have to deal with Chara.

The same goes with Tampa Bay, because if you put your top pair on St. Louis and Stamkos, Lecavalier commands a line with gagne. Detroit, philly, and the 06-07 sabres are/were the same way. The acquisition of spezza doesnt just make the line he's on better, he makes the team better as a whole, when it makes it harder to assign the oppositions top pairing.

makes sense, and i looked at roys stats, he has top line stats, why then is their so much talk about the sabres going after a top center, take Laich as our #2 and move wit it

makes sense, and i looked at roys stats, he has top line stats, why then is their so much talk about the sabres going after a top center, take Laich as our #2 and move wit it

because it all comes down to flexibility. Think of it this way

Who is more offensively dangerous? Roy or Laich? Easy answer

Now who is more offensively dangerous? Roy or Spezza? Ideally there is no right answer to that question.

Laich is a FANTASTIC third line option, but if we can, we need two solid, make the golaie say "OH CRAP HERE THEY COME", scoring lines. In order for that to happen, you need at least two solid centerman of that ability.

I like the link on Weiss... Image a line with Kaleta, Goose and Kassian? Maybe through Cody in there sometimes too. That would be worth the price of admission right there.

I really hope they re-sign McCormick. I'm not certain Kassian makes the team, I still think he needs some seasoning in the AHL. Maybe a call up...

A low wage guy that knows the system and earns his keep. He'll be here.

I honestly hope he's still here. He's an upgrade from Mair, he can score the here and there goals that he needs to, and is sometimes the hardest working player on the ice. I don't think I've ever seen him take a shift off (the Boston game where he had 2 fights comes to mind to back that up)

Archived