Kevin Devine on WGR

inkman

I think what Devine said was pretty close to what EJ Dionne was saying in November.

That there were 4 top guys, and maybe that second group goes to #18.

Devine says today maybe it goes to #17. (I think Biggs has fallen out of both groups since).

Actually, Kevin said "we're picking at 16 and we like 17 or 18 guys, so we're pretty happy with where we're picking," or something like that. It wasn't a hard 17.

GoDD: while I do fear that there won't be as much change in some areas as I would have liked, I think you are going way overboard on a very loose comment that you haven't even listened to. As I and others have stated, he reiterated what most scouts seem to agree on: four, maybe five guys that are top-tier, followed by another 13-14 guys that are pretty good. He also stated that they are looking to move that pick (and other picks/prospects) for a current player, so any comments about how their choice pans out in three years seem (as planned, anyway) moot.

In all honesty, I didn't hear the interview but will pull it up for a laugh if it is out there. Either way, it's MickeyMouse to make a statement like that to such a precise number. It's either "Hey look fans! We're gonna get one of the top prospects in the draft." or 3 years from now it's "We said we really liked the guys who were picked #8, #11 and #15 who are all Calder candidates, but our Finnish defenseman who is playing overseas now in a B league was the last of the lot of guys we thought could make an impact." or "Golly gee Mr Bowman and Mr Holland....don't you want to be one of the last in for such an exciting opportunity as to pick one of the 17 good players in this draft?"

Maybe he was just off-the-cuffing it, but given Darcy's history of pulling out spreadsheets for interviews and massaging the numbers, I'm sure it was his attempt at being clever.

I never thought I'd say this, but at least Larry Quinn had some business accumen as he tried to bamboozle people. How is ol' Larry doing these days? I sort of miss him.

really? really? no freaking seriously? You freaking miss Larry Quinn? the guy responsible for the drury/briere debacle? The guy who was a force in keeping TC here for that rediculous price all these years? If LQ never sets foot within 100yards of HSBC arena or the sabres hockey team... it will not have been long enough. The guys a land developer who couldnt run a hockey team if his life depended on it. EPIC FAIL

really? really? no freaking seriously? You freaking miss Larry Quinn? the guy responsible for the drury/briere debacle? The guy who was a force in keeping TC here for that rediculous price all these years? If LQ never sets foot within 100yards of HSBC arena or the sabres hockey team... it will not have been long enough. The guys a land developer who couldnt run a hockey team if his life depended on it. EPIC FAIL

I miss him in a "Hitler at least gave good speeches" sort of way.

The Devine comment isn't a big deal. I just think it's funny if he was trying to talk up their position.

Alright, just listened to the interview.....he's fine. Just a personnel guy that likes talking about his guys. He's hinting that they are looking to trade for a guy so nothing more than a signal to, "Hey, call us."

I've never heard the guy before. I'm so used to Darcy slow-talking his way through everything. This guy just chirped away.

The only thing I didn't like to hear was "We have a core here we think we can win with." They still all believe it.

Don't worry, I'm sure I will be back to crying tomorrow after the SS MaxPies christening of the lockerroom.

The Devine comment isn't a big deal. I just think it's funny if he was trying to talk up their position.

lol I accept that analogy. Devine i dont think is saying stuff plotting for so crazy move I think hes just talking about the draft and that maybe we might sell off our pick

If the Sabres were a stock, I would short the daylights out of Hockey Heaven. This is 98% the same culture that has been locked in place. The dog and pony show they must have done on Mr Pegula.......

I do hope you are wrong, and I don't want to agree with you, but the "Lindy ain't goin no-where" comment really gave me pause. What they do this summer will say a lot. As it stands they couldn't beat a Philly team that had horrible goaltending. Their skaters were just that much better than ours. So they need at least two more really good players. I'll believe it when I see it. Till they are here, I am not holding my breath.

Alright.....here's one for you....I actually like Devine. I did some scouting of my own here because I really didn't know much about him. He is a scout, but he sounds like he has a lot more gumption than Darcy. He talks off the top of his head and can rattle off pros and cons, and can support his position. Any clips I found he didn't have to make a position and defend it,he just told you how it is. He even said that he didn't think Myers would be here for 4 years.

Just seems like a guy you could have a few beers with and go back and forth just giving your opinions. I can appreciate that.

Damn all of you who calmed him down...

I'm always calm. The time to not be calm is when the ship is headed towards the iceberg and nobody wants to see the iceberg or believe it is there.

It's too late to not be calm. Now I just listen to the pretty string quartet play Eternal Father Strong to Save and smoke a cigar.

I'm always calm. The time to not be calm is when the ship is headed towards the iceberg and nobody wants to see the iceberg or believe it is there.

It's too late to not be calm. Now I just listen to the pretty string quartet play Eternal Father Strong to Save and smoke a cigar.

The ship's been banging off of icebergs for 40 years, but we've got a new Captain now. He's commanding the same navigator, helmsman, and quartermaster, but he does have a new first mate. I'm willing to let them make one voyage together before assessing their abilities as a crew.

The ship's been banging off of icebergs for 40 years, but we've got a new Captain now. He's commanding the same navigator, helmsman, and quartermaster, but he does have a new first mate. I'm willing to let them make one voyage together before assessing their abilities as a crew.

Well.....at least now maybe the lifeboats will be heated.

This.

I'm surprised he can even get a single word out. If I were him, I'd be way too surprised that someone is actually interviewing me.

Archived