Lindy

spndnchz

Nice game you're playing, stopping at 11 years. Why not look at Ruff's entire Sabres tenure? It's only another two years. Oh look, he won 9 series in 13 years. And the Flyers? They won 10 series in the same span. How about that.

One more thing: Lindy is 3-2 in playoff series vs the Flyers as Sabres head coach.

PTR

Laviolete was only the coach the past 2. In his last 5 years of coaching he has Won the Stanley Cup, just lost the Stanley Cup, and may well be on the way to another Stanley Cup...while beating Ruff 2-0 and coming to a Philly team that was worst in the league 3 years prior and Lindy had a President's Trophy roster.

So again.....

HOF?????

Sabres fans are like a guy in the trailer park bragging that he's married to the hottest girl in the trailer park. If you stay in the confines of the trailer park your entire life....you think you've got it made.

Sabres fans are like a guy in the trailer park bragging that he's married to the hottest girl in the trailer park. If you stay in the confines of the trailer park your entire life....you think you've got it made.

You should come join us in our trailer park... our kiddy pool is great!

Another quick point on Lindy. Miller was "lucky" enough to get hurt late in the season and had almost 3 weeks rest. What would the outcome of the series have been if Lindy stuck to his guns and played Miller like he did in 43 of 46 games leading up to the injury? Would the Sabres have still made the playoffs? Would Miller have the stamina for 2 shutouts? Would the series have gone 7 games?

That little continued bit of goaltender mismanagement was brushed under the rug.

Another quick point on Lindy. Miller was "lucky" enough to get hurt late in the season and had almost 3 weeks rest. What would the outcome of the series have been if Lindy stuck to his guns and played Miller like he did in 43 of 46 games leading up to the injury? Would the Sabres have still made the playoffs? Would Miller have the stamina for 2 shutouts? Would the series have gone 7 games?

That little continued bit of goaltender mismanagement was brushed under the rug.

I'll give you that one. I am very hopeful that next season, he'll stick to a rotation with Enroth since the kid has proven himself.

I want to see what Lindy does to change this off season, what changes he'll bring to the goalie rotation, and how he'll get some of these younger guys (i.e. MAG, Gerbe, Ennis, Myers) to grow.

If nothing changes like some suggest, I'll happily walk the plank of my own ship.

I'll give you that one. I am very hopeful that next season, he'll stick to a rotation with Enroth since the kid has proven himself.

I want to see what Lindy does to change this off season, what changes he'll bring to the goalie rotation, and how he'll get some of these younger guys (i.e. MAG, Gerbe, Ennis, Myers) to grow.

If nothing changes like some suggest, I'll happily walk the plank of my own ship.

I don't want to take all the credit away from the team for turning the season around. They showed more effort and were resiliant unlike recent editions. I just think we tend to glorify mediocrity at times.

Ruff is like Jimmy Griffin ... he's been there forever and he's the definition of mediocrity. It's just management not wanting to change. He's had 13 years (or is if 14?) to win a cup. He hasn't done it. Time for someone new.

Ruff is like Jimmy Griffin ... he's been there forever and he's the definition of mediocrity. It's just management not wanting to change. He's had 13 years (or is if 14?) to win a cup. He hasn't done it. Time for someone new.

So has Darcy but everyone is willing to forget about what he has done (or hasn't done) in that same amount of time and give him a fresh start because they say his hands were tied working with a budget from the owner.

A coach can only do so much with what he is given, and looking at what the coaches have been given to work with in Buffalo, mediocrity is overachieving. When he has had talent, the Sabres have been in the cup final, or on the verge of being in it. Ruff already has teams lining up ready to bring him in as their next coach if the Sabres decide to not re-sign him (Minneosota already has said he is their top choice)

So has Darcy but everyone is willing to forget about what he has done (or hasn't done) in that same amount of time and give him a fresh start because they say his hands were tied working with a budget from the owner.

Not me. I think they should both go and it has nothing to do with the Game 7 flat tire. They have both been here too long and have become too comfortable.

At the very least, Lindy should be forced to dump his assistants and they should hire an assistant GM who would act as another voice in hockey decisions.

Not me. I think they should both go and it has nothing to do with the Game 7 flat tire. They have both been here too long and have become too comfortable.

At the very least, Lindy should be forced to dump his assistants and they should hire an assistant GM who would act as another voice in hockey decisions.

This I'll agree with you on.

Laviolete was only the coach the past 2. In his last 5 years of coaching he has Won the Stanley Cup, just lost the Stanley Cup, and may well be on the way to another Stanley Cup...while beating Ruff 2-0 and coming to a Philly team that was worst in the league 3 years prior and Lindy had a President's Trophy roster.

So again.....

HOF?????

Again compare apples to apples here. Laviolette walked in the door with this roster in place. Did Laviolette coach a team who's owner is in jail for fraud, a team that was bankrupt and a ward of the league? We get it. You hate Lindy. But don't be a douche about his record. If you have to start slicing and dicing stats then maybe your argument is weak.

PTR

Sabres fans are the stupid, pollyanna trailer trash and intellectual inferiors? Really now.

yeah we get it. :rolleyes:

Good point.

So you will admit that the Sabres are an average team that skirted into the playoffs the last week of the season?

No. I'll admit they are a slightly better than average team that fought it's way from last place into a playoff berth, only to be beaten (barely) by a more talented Philly team. I don't know what bizarro universe you inhabit.

PTR

No. I'll admit they are a slightly better than average team that fought it's way from last place into a playoff berth, only to be beaten (barely) by a more talented Philly team. I don't know what bizarro universe you inhabit.

PTR

Average and slightly better than average ain't that far apart in perspective, yo. And it took until the last game of the season to get in so I'm thinking that the word "skirted" applies. My guess is that your universe is right next door to his. :lol:

But I don't really have a dog in this fight. :D

Average and slightly better than average ain't that far apart in perspective, yo. And it took until the last game of the season to get in so I'm thinking that the word "skirted" applies. My guess is that your universe is right next door to his. :lol:

But I don't really have a dog in this fight. :D

Just thinking about it..(and not being a statistician)

Between #1 Vancouver and the #20 St. Louis the range is pretty narrow, so I'm not so sure the concept of average is a helpful concept in hockey the way it is in any other sport.

I don't watch the NBA...but I have the sense that there are rarely many true upsets in a seven game series. The Stanley cup is a crapshoot for survival.

Between #1 Vancouver and the #20 St. Louis the range is pretty narrow, so I'm not so sure the concept of average is a helpful concept in hockey the way it is in any other sport.

I don't watch the NBA...but I have the sense that there are rarely many true upsets in a seven game series. The Stanley cup is a crapshoot for survival.

My gut tells me that the Stanley Cup playoffs aren't a crapshoot and that the top teams have a significant advantage. But it's been a LOOOOONG day and I just don't have anything invested in the point so there is no way I am going to put any time into collecting data to verify. :death:

PTR

They were 15th out of 30. Pretty much the definition of average.

I don't want you slicing and dicing stats from the regular season. That would be....douchey?...did you say?

How about:

11 years

30 teams

16 playoff teams

15 playoff series wins per year

Average playoff series wins per team = 5.5

Lindy Ruff playoff series wins = 5

13 years

30 teams

26 Stanley Cup appearances

Average Stanley Cup appearances by team .87

Lindy Ruff Stanley Cup appearances 1

Dominik Hasek

Stanley Cup appearances 4

w/Buffalo 1

Does this help to define average at all?

I'll also pile on the hate on this worthless argument.

Their career post season winning percentages are identical (Laviolette: 0.567, Ruff: 0.564). Remember which one of them won the Jack Adams Award for Best Coach Ever In A Particular Year?

If we want to go down the worthless stats and logic failure road, let's look at number of offspring:

Laviolette: 3

Ruff: 4

-> Ruff is more potent.

NHL games played:

Laviolette: 12

Ruff: 691

-> Ruff plays hockey 57.6 times better than Laviolette.

Games won in the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals:

Laviolette: 2

Joel Quenneville, worked with Stan Bowman, son of Scotty Bowman, who coached Ruff in '79-80: 4

-> By extension, Ruff owned Laviolette on the big stage.

All of these contribute to Ruff being more qualified. Philadelphia should fire Laviolette and hire Ruff. Because if I'm pissed about not winning everything all the time, I start acting like Charles Wang.

How about:

11 years

30 teams

16 playoff teams

15 playoff series wins per year

Average playoff series wins per team = 5.5

Lindy Ruff playoff series wins = 5

You are averaging the last 11 years?

13 years

30 teams

26 Stanley Cup appearances

Average Stanley Cup appearances by team .87

Lindy Ruff Stanley Cup appearances 1

Dominik Hasek

Stanley Cup appearances 4

w/Buffalo 1

Does this help to define average at all?

Honestly, I want to say not really without being dismissive. I probably have a better sense of what your getting at.

Archived