For the first time in four years...

eball

...the Buffalo Sabres will be playing a hockey game with an opportunity to clinch a playoff series. I just realized it this morning, and wanted to start a special non-gameday thread because that fact sort of amazed me. The last game Buffalo played to clinch a series was against the NYR in 2007.

We are very fortunate to be watching this team right now, and shouldn't take the experience for granted. The team is far from perfect, but they're giving us a great ride.

Go Sabres!!

Here. Here.

Not to pick on you specifically, because I've seen it used wrong a few times lately... http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1489/why-do-people-say-hear-hear

The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Of course, if the speaker is actually asking a question, such as "and just where do you think we should open the new strip club?" it's not hard to imagine that at least one yahoo in attendance might yell, "here, here!" But this would be the exception that proves the rule.

So, I guess you could have meant that the Sabres are playing "here, here" in WNY on Sunday, as I see you're from Rochester :)

This is going to be the most ballest Easter EVER.

Very good post ... I will try and enjoy Sunday, but I am a nervous fan regardless of the circumstances. The character on this team, especially among its younger members, is something to see. After yestersday, Ennis is an obvious example. But Gragani and Weber playing with poise beyond their years. Tyler Myers has a nasty disposition emerging and is clearly becoming a leader before our eyes. Add the infectious enthusiasm of Gerbe and there is a lot to get excited about.

And how about the mutton chops with the 'stache choice for playoff beard growth - an ode to Rico!

There is a lot to love!

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of getting emotionally invested in this team. I came into this series with no expectations, and consequently, no emotional involvemenet beyond a fans' hope that they win. Last season I was convinced that the teams' success was a fraud, that it wasn't going to be carried into thepostseason. And the Boston series confirmed my suspicions. I was more neutral about the this years' team. And now this post season seems different somehow. I think they've been outplayed more often than not but the wins don't seem cheap or undeserved.

Even if the ride only lasts for 2 more games, it'll be a fun couple of games.

Not to pick on you specifically, because I've seen it used wrong a few times lately... http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1489/why-do-people-say-hear-hear

So, I guess you could have meant that the Sabres are playing "here, here" in WNY on Sunday, as I see you're from Rochester :)

This is going to be the most ballest Easter EVER.

Pardon my French. Errrr English! I didn't know my old 8th grade english teacher was lurking in the Aud Club! :D

Yes this is a nice little issue to have now isn't it? I posted this earlier in another thread but IIRC the last time Buffalo and Philly met for a game 6 Buffalo SMOKED Philly. It was May 2nd in 2006: May 2 Sabres 7, at Flyers 1. Let's have a repeat please!!!!!!!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!

...the Buffalo Sabres will be playing a hockey game with an opportunity to clinch a playoff series. I just realized it this morning, and wanted to start a special non-gameday thread because that fact sort of amazed me. The last game Buffalo played to clinch a series was against the NYR in 2007.

We are very fortunate to be watching this team right now, and shouldn't take the experience for granted. The team is far from perfect, but they're giving us a great ride.

Go Sabres!!

I don't agree with this sentiment at all. The rest of it I do, the bold part, no. It could be because as a older Sabres fan I am spoiled by the many playoff appearances I have seen over the years. I forget that for many newer fans this is only the fourth playoff appearance in a decade(including the lockout). It will be great to see them get out of the first round. I'm sure many older fans remember the decade of first round exits ending with the Brad May goal.

For the superstitous people here (most of us), remember that the last time buffalo clinched a playoff series was game 6 on NBC on a Sunday at 3pm! Don't forget that in game 5 afinogenov scored in overtime just like Ennis did yesterday. It wasn't Easter though...

Call me superstitious, but history repeats itself.

I don't agree with this sentiment at all. The rest of it I do, the bold part, no. It could be because as a older Sabres fan I am spoiled by the many playoff appearances I have seen over the years. I forget that for many newer fans this is only the fourth playoff appearance in a decade(including the lockout). It will be great to see them get out of the first round. I'm sure many older fans remember the decade of first round exits ending with the Brad May goal.

I was in my teens/20's during those years. From what I've seen on various Sabres message boards it seems like alot of us that age in the 80's and a little older have definitely NOT appreciated the Golisano years. Too many reminders of critically faulted teams. And this is still a Golisano team with critical faults.

I was in my teens/20's during those years. From what I've seen on various Sabres message boards it seems like alot of us that age in the 80's and a little older have definitely NOT appreciated the Golisano years. Too many reminders of critically faulted teams. And this is still a Golisano team with critical faults.

I think it also leads to the criticisms of Ruff and Regier. Half of this franchise's non-playoff seasons are under Ruff and Regier. I know changes in the league and more teams has a lot to do with it.

Yes this is a nice little issue to have now isn't it? I posted this earlier in another thread but IIRC the last time Buffalo and Philly met for a game 6 Buffalo SMOKED Philly. It was May 2nd in 2006: May 2 Sabres 7, at Flyers 1. Let's have a repeat please!!!!!!!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!

Your post got me thinking... The Game 6 before the one you mention turned out well for us - Conference Finals 10 years ago (5 years prior to your mention), Buffalo SMOKED Philly 8-0. Keep the streak alive!

I think it also leads to the criticisms of Ruff and Regier. Half of this franchise's non-playoff seasons are under Ruff and Regier. I know changes in the league and more teams has a lot to do with it.

I agree. We went through an ~15 year period of playoffs nearly every season. First round felt like a continuation of the regular season. It was expected. Missing playoffs so many times was a real change. Even if it was due to changes in league rules as much as team performance.

As much as I have been a critic of these two, I think a more accurate statement might be "Half of this franchise's non-playoff seasons were under ownership where winning was not a priority."

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of getting emotionally invested in this team. I came into this series with no expectations, and consequently, no emotional involvemenet beyond a fans' hope that they win. Last season I was convinced that the teams' success was a fraud, that it wasn't going to be carried into thepostseason. And the Boston series confirmed my suspicions. I was more neutral about the this years' team. And now this post season seems different somehow. I think they've been outplayed more often than not but the wins don't seem cheap or undeserved.

Even if the ride only lasts for 2 more games, it'll be a fun couple of games.

Great post. Sums up my emotions and I am certain the emotions of Sabres fans throughout the world. We're obviously rabid for a championship beyond the Bandits (no slight to the Bandits whatsoever), particularly those of us fighting gray hair or trying to keep what we have. I've always said, "All you have to do in Buffalo is sell hope" with our sports teams. But it's more than that, of course.

I LOVED the "Hardest Working Team in Hockey" years. Miller summed it up last night - guys shouldn't feel bad about making mistakes, but their teammates want and EXPECT them to work hard and not quit fighting. Regardless of what talent level we have, THAT'S what Buffalo fans also expect from their teams.

Inside, I am an absolute Sabres nut-bag. I am insane during playoff hockey, and I try to keep my expectations lowered (after all the crushing moments we've endured over the years as Buffalo sports fans), just because I need to be shielded psychologically during the games. But a team like this makes my heart start to roll out of my chest and back onto my sleeve, again. They're giving us their hearts, so how can we not return the favor?

Nice post - stop making me get all choked up!

I remember all too well DeLuca! All too well!!!!!!! LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!

And when we crushed them 8-0 in 2001 when we smoked Cechmanek.

I too have higher expectations for the Sabres in general having followed them since the beginning as a 6 year old with a radio. That being said, I am enjoying this bunch, especially the coming of age of the young defense. Can't wait to see the some of the new guys in the minors step up next year. Hope McNabb really does have some of the abrasiveness like Weber. Saw he played along Myers in prep school.

Schiestel and Pisick should be interesting to watch too. Now, the Sabres need to find centers. They have two big guys coming up, but this high-bred version of using wingers at center is definitely problematic. I think they should look to trade for one no matter what happens this playoffs.

I hear you. I think my point is really that for those of us who were spoiled by regular playoff appearances in the "old days" it has been even tougher to go through more recent tough times -- hence, I'm really enjoying this.

Go Sabres!!

Agree 100%. I also think they're laying a solid foundation for the future with this series. Free agents are going to want to come here, and the kids are learning how to be tough.

Agree 100%. I also think they're laying a solid foundation for the future with this series. Free agents are going to want to come here, and the kids are learning how to be tough.

Yes.

I love the fact that the Sabres are giving at least as good as they get in the physicality department. It makes a big difference in the playoffs.

Gaustad for captain in '11.

Archived