[OT] Bandits on Versus!

thesportsbuff

I'm not the biggest lacrosse fan but I've always liked the sport, but much like junior hockey, it's just incredibly hard to follow with as little TV/media coverage that it gets. I've never been to a game in person, but I've watched a few games either back on Empire or on various local channels over the years. It's a fun sport to watch, but in standard def it's incredibly hard to see what's going on a lot of the time.

Today I found out that the NLL is on Versus and being broadcast on HD! The Bandits are playing right now against Minnesota and it's 1,000 times more fun to watch in high definition. I don't have any stats to support it, but you have to think HD has done WONDERS for the popularity of hockey -- maybe the same will happen for Lacrosse? As much as I hate Versus' NHL broadcasters, you gotta appreciate what they do for the lower-popularity sports...

Wow thanks for this post. I turned my tv on to watch this game just because of this post.

Does Lacrosse have 4 quarters, 3 periods or 2 halves?

Hockey was a bit harder to watch on tv before HD was available, but it was still good, not great for new fans though. Now it's completely different/better to watch and the HD will help attract new fans

Buffalo is up 5-2 and Lacrosse reminds me of Football/Basketball/Hockey/Indoor Soccer all mixed into one. how? idk

Edit: Score is now 5-3. Minnesota has the Blackhawks goal song. That made me laugh

I'm not really sure about offsides to be honest. And yeah, Buffalo killed the penalty rather easily... they just stood around and weren't even pressured really! I feel like I have a lot to learn about this game haha. But if they're going to show games on Versus I'm definitely going to try to get into it.

Probably the most confusing part to me is it seems like everytime I see a lacrosse game everything is different. There's the NLL, and then MLL (Major League Lacrosse) which I think has more people on the field at once. I've seen some college lacrosse games and they play outside with no walls and I think a bigger field.

I'm not really sure about offsides to be honest. And yeah, Buffalo killed the penalty rather easily... they just stood around and weren't even pressured really! I feel like I have a lot to learn about this game haha. But if they're going to show games on Versus I'm definitely going to try to get into it.

Probably the most confusing part to me is it seems like everytime I see a lacrosse game everything is different. There's the NLL, and then MLL (Major League Lacrosse) which I think has more people on the field at once. I've seen some college lacrosse games and they play outside with no walls and I think a bigger field.

MLL is outdoor lacrosse. NLL is indoor, or "box" lacrosse.

I hope Bandits players earn their share of cash because they certainly make plenty for the Sabres. Large crowds, often sellouts. Most NLL players make an average of $20K and most need day jobs.

PTR

Bandits win! Bandits win! 12-9! 12-9!

I am very happy to see a Bandits thread on this message board! It would be great if we can keep this one going throughout the rest of the season and into the playoffs. Nothing I'd like more than to have both the Sabres and Bandits win a championship during Pegula's first few months of ownership!

For those interested in the Bandits, here are a few links for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bandits

http://www.nll.com/

http://www.ilindoor.com/

http://www.wingszone.com/nllmb/

For those new to the Bandits, no they are NOT a minor league team. The NLL is a professional league for indoor "box" lacrosse, i.e. the historically Canadian and Native American version of the sport that plays from early January through part of May. The league is in its 25th season with 10 teams currently.

Powerplays aren't really that great from what I see

How does offsides work in this game? Do they even have it?

No offsides, but there is an over-and-back rule. Once the ball is in the opponent's half of play it has to stay there.

The lines near the NHL blue lines are for faceoffs. Only the 2 centers can be inside of them on the faceoff.

As you probably figured out, the dots inside the zones are where the play starts on a powerplay. Players can change on the fly - once a player is in the box in front of the bench he can be substitiuted for. And there is a shot clock.

It's been a long time since I've been to a game, but I found that to be nearly unwatchable on TV. The constant music is annoying. And I think I just like the outdoor version of the game better. But I wouldn't rule out a trip to the Arena to see it live if I had nothing to do on a Saturday night. And I do hope the team does well.

IMO I think the indoor game is much more fast paced and exciting. But then again I haven't watched a lot of either.

I agree with the music though. Anytime there's music DURING play it's annoying. Overall I thought the Versus broadcast was awesome, though.

And Lacrosse is AWESOME in HD!

IMO I think the indoor game is much more fast paced and exciting. But then again I haven't watched a lot of either.

I agree with the music though. Anytime there's music DURING play it's annoying. Overall I thought the Versus broadcast was awesome, though.

The NLL is geared for 20-somethings. Loud music and a DJ hyping the crowd while the ball is in play is the norm. While we hate this someone used to this level of noise would say Sabres games are boring, like sitting in a library.

PTR

I agree with everything here. The pace of field lax is way too much like soccer to ever really take off in this country, IMO. At least with soccer, you have the world-wide popularity. Upper middle class white people from the mid-Atlantic states are really the only people interested in the outdoor version. Indoor lax has much more potential, but the NLL is still in its infancy and has a long way to go before the mainstream sports world takes it seriously. They can start gaining credibility by cutting off the music during play.

I agree with everything here. The pace of field lax is way too much like soccer to ever really take off in this country, IMO. At least with soccer, you have the world-wide popularity. Upper middle class white people from the mid-Atlantic states are really the only people interested in the outdoor version. Indoor lax has much more potential, but the NLL is still in its infancy and has a long way to go before the mainstream sports world takes it seriously. They can start gaining credibility by cutting off the music during play.

Same with basketball.

You wouldn't if you had to stand in front of those shots. That ball is as hard as a cue ball and travelling at 100+ mph.

PTR

No it's not. It's a rubber ball. Dense, but rubber. It still hurts, though.

Isn't it the same in outdoor lacrosse? But those goalies seem to do ok.

Yes - outdoor goalies are not permitted to wear that ######, and shouldn't. It looks freaking ridiculous. They don't need athletes in goal, they need a sumo wrestler in pads - then there wouldn't be anything to shoot at. My favorite part is when the goalies are so tired from holding up all that equipment that they throw their arms over the cross bar and lean back to rest.

Also, is the net smaller in the indoor game? Outdoor nets are 6' x 6'. Unless those indoor goalies are really damn tall, that net doesn't look 6' feet high.

No it's not. It's a rubber ball. Dense, but rubber. It still hurts, though.

Yes - outdoor goalies are not permitted to wear that ######, and shouldn't. It looks freaking ridiculous. They don't need athletes in goal, they need a sumo wrestler in pads - then there wouldn't be anything to shoot at. My favorite part is when the goalies are so tired from holding up all that equipment that they throw their arms over the cross bar and lean back to rest.

Also, is the net smaller in the indoor game? Outdoor nets are 6' x 6'. Unless those indoor goalies are really damn tall, that net doesn't look 6' feet high.

The ball definitely hurts. Broke my nose playing around with no helmet when I was 15 or 16.

There's no need for the indoor goalies to be wearing that nonsensical equipment (I mean, they're more heavily protected than an NHL goalie) and yes, the nets are smaller. In fact, they are smaller than hockey goals. They are 4' x 4.5'.

Which explains why it seems that there's more scoring in the outdoor game!

Archived