Bars/restaurants

Derrico

I have long been a proponent of duff's and local wing places over anchor bar and will argue that tooth and nail but it is still a Buffalo icon. I tell people from out of town if you really want to go then go ahead but be aware it is overpriced because it is exactly that, a tourist trap. But in our city, how many tourist places do we have - lets not trash one just for the sake of it.

How is it horseshit? I am invited there 2 or 3 times a year by some vendor who insists we go there for lunch and each and every time the food and service sucks.

Same here. Grew up in WNY (Niagara Falls/NT) and never went to Anchor Bar until I came back home a few years back. Made the pilgrimage and was surprised to see that the food wasn't great, the service was iffy, and it was pricey as hell.

Duff's gets my vote every time, but there are a lot of mom & pop local joints I would go to before Anchor Bar - for quality of food, price, etc.

I remember being in the Anchor Bar on a game night and the Sabres game WAS NOT on the TVs inside the restaurant. I had to ask them to change the channel. I got looks like it was an outrageous request. I remember being appalled. The wings were okay. They're also expensive due to the tourist crowd within. But you have to make the pilgrimage once. Then ask the locals where the real wings are.

This. The EXACT same thing happened to me. If you are a Buffalo institution, to not have the Sabres on is sacrilege. The time I requested, they didn't even get whichever station the game was on.

What does overpriced mean to you?

Anchor bar costs like $2 more per order of wings than other local places. Not outrageous but for lesser wings (IMO) whats the point?

I'm glad inky/wjag/blue agree with my stance. No game on gamenight - that is pretty bad.

Anchor bar costs like $2 more per order of wings than other local places. Not outrageous but for lesser wings (IMO) whats the point?

I'm glad inky/wjag/blue agree with my stance. No game on gamenight - that is pretty bad.

Every sports bar restaraunt should have Direct TV with your local sports team on for sure,i understand that but if you dont like the anchor bar for the simple fact that the food is acouple bucks more just sounds bad.Ive been there and the food was good / The price was very reasonable.

Every sports bar restaraunt should have Direct TV with your local sports team on for sure,i understand that but if you dont like the anchor bar for the simple fact that the food is acouple bucks more just sounds bad.Ive been there and the food was good / The price was very reasonable.

What are you comparing the taste/price to??

I think most here are saying that compared to other (most, if not all) wing spots in Buffalo the Anchor Bar should not be a regular stop.

You'd be doing yourself a great service if you stopped by Duff's the next time you're in town.

And FYI, I've walked into gas stations in Buffalo that had the Sabres games on. For shame Anchor Bar....

Def not but I feel like people would go down to eat there at all times of year if it was AUD like with both sabres and bandits stuff, maybe even through in a little bills memorabilia, Pegula could even be like "hey tyler ennis, heres 50 bucks go eat at my place cuz if fans think we go there they will go there too" Sabres suggestion box time or do we need to hash this out more?

They should serve specials based on that day's opponent.

Frog legs for Montreal, fried babies on a stick for Carolina etc.

Hey guys, I'm from out of town but excited to be going to the game tomorrow night. I enjoy going downtown to a have a few wings and a jug of beer before the game. Problem is, Pear Street Bar and Grill is the only place we've ever found and that place is PACKED on game nights. I enjoy the buffet they have there but too many people sometimes.

Any suggestions for another spot within walking distance to the arena?

So, where you end up at? Was it epic?

Of course the Anchor Bar isn't a sports bar - but every bar in Buffalo should have the Sabres/Bills on when they are playing.

Sabres yes. Bills - maybe. You don't want to give fans nausea and indigestion while consuming mass quantities of wings and beer.

Archived