Remember him? The Mike Funk story

Two or less

Sad story. Mike Funk, at age 24, has been told he shouldn't play hockey again or risk long term health problems, due to concussions he has suffered.

http://www.bclocalne.../117436268.html

What's really sad is that one of the concussions came as the result of a practice hit when Kaleta went "flying" in to check someone and accidentally hit Funk.

Mike is a young 24. I don't think a comeback is inconceiveable...maybe he can take 3 years off and come back at 27. Ask Connelly. I wish him a long, long period of convelesence and a great comeback in a few years.

I wondered why Funk was walked away from. I didn't realize he had concussion problems. I hate to hear about guys with alot of promise that are forced out because of health issues. These guys work their balls off all of their lives for that one shot. It sucks that just when they are on the cusp of realizing great dividends for that sacrifice and work that it all gets pulled out from under them.

I hope he has enough sense to walk away from the game and put his energy and resources into another line of work.

"[He] was born on September 18, 1933 in Montreal, Quebec. He played minor league hockey until a fractured skull resulting from a slash by Jean-Guy Talbot ended his playing career." By 1956, he was coaching.

[He] is Scotty Bowman.

Perhaps Mr. Funk will be the next Scotty Bowman. If I were him, that's what I would try next.

Mike is a young 24. I don't think a comeback is inconceiveable...maybe he can take 3 years off and come back at 27. Ask Connelly. I wish him a long, long period of convelesence and a great comeback in a few years.

Connolly had nearly five full seasons in the NHL before he started having concussion/neck/whatever you want to call them problems. Funk had 9 games. A comeback after three+ years off after having all of 9 games in the NHL would be exponentially more difficult (if not near impossible) especially if we're talking not playing at all for 3+ years.

Connolly had nearly five full seasons in the NHL before he started having concussion/neck/whatever you want to call them problems. Funk had 9 games. A comeback after three+ years off after having all of 9 games in the NHL would be exponentially more difficult (if not near impossible) especially if we're talking not playing at all for 3+ years.

I can't think of any defensemen who made great comebacks after more than a year off.

"[He] was born on September 18, 1933 in Montreal, Quebec. He played minor league hockey until a fractured skull resulting from a slash by Jean-Guy Talbot ended his playing career." By 1956, he was coaching.

[He] is Scotty Bowman.

Perhaps Mr. Funk will be the next Scotty Bowman. If I were him, that's what I would try next.

Anybody remember when Tiger Williams sticked Scotty in the coconut in the 1980 playoffs? Bowman was out cold IIRC.

[He] is Scotty Bowman.

Very nice. Just because he can't play anymore doesn't mean he cannot be utilized elsewhere in the hockey world.

Archived