Sabres 3rd Jersey (Maybe) Back Next Year

Robviously

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2011/1/16/nhl-jerseywatch-2011.html

Per Reebok's 2011-2012 planning schedule, the Sabres are probably wearing their current third jersey again next season. It was supposed to be a one-year-only 40th anniversary thing, but I guess we get more royal blue next season.

This isn't the most interesting news in the world, but it's still better than staring into the black hole of hockey ability that is our four centers for tonight's game.

It doesn't make perfect sense as an ongoing third jersey. I mean, it would work, I guess.

I don't like the jarring color difference with the primaries. I like that royal blue, and the primary is too dark, but do we really want to see another tweak to the Sabres' look?

I really hope Pegula comes in and puts an end to the sweater madness. There shouldn't be any reason for future money grabs.

It doesn't make perfect sense as an ongoing third jersey. I mean, it would work, I guess.

I don't like the jarring color difference with the primaries. I like that royal blue, and the primary is too dark, but do we really want to see another tweak to the Sabres' look?

I really hope Pegula comes in and puts an end to the sweater madness. There shouldn't be any reason for future money grabs.

These money grabs almost always work. That's all the reason anyone will need, even the independently wealthy. Everyone always wants more, and if there is no conceivable chance of damaging the team, why not?

These money grabs almost always work. That's all the reason anyone will need, even the independently wealthy. Everyone always wants more, and if there is no conceivable chance of damaging the team, why not?

It'll be really interesting to see how this owner thinks. As Ghost would point out, Pegula is seriously, actually filthy rich. As in money in the bank, and a whole boatload more to come as the Marcellus Shale rush really gets going. He shouldn't care about a few million in jersey sales, especially if he's the traditionalist I suspect he is. I would expect him to treat the Sabres sweater as the Red Wings' sweater is treated, or the Canadiens'.

But, you're right to suspect he could be the exact opposite. The fun for an entrepreneur like himself might be seeing how much profit he can get the Sabres to turn. Losing money might be such anathema to him, he would never consider it.

I'm not even sure anathema is the right word at all, but I'm sticking with it!

That would be a change in plans. It was not supposed to continue on beyond this year.

I'd love to know where anybody officially said it wasn't supposed to continue beyond this year. I know it's their "40th Anniversary Jersey" but there's absolutely nothing on the jersey specific to just this year. My guess would be the plan all along was to keep this as the third for at least a few years. It's getting a little embarrassing for the organization to come out with a new jersey every single year.

It'll be really interesting to see how this owner thinks. As Ghost would point out, Pegula is seriously, actually filthy rich. As in money in the bank, and a whole boatload more to come as the Marcellus Shale rush really gets going. He shouldn't care about a few million in jersey sales, especially if he's the traditionalist I suspect he is. I would expect him to treat the Sabres sweater as the Red Wings' sweater is treated, or the Canadiens'.

But, you're right to suspect he could be the exact opposite. The fun for an entrepreneur like himself might be seeing how much profit he can get the Sabres to turn. Losing money might be such anathema to him, he would never consider it.

It would be great to have the tradition of the Detroit or Montreal jerseys, but we need to face facts here. We have a team that has been around for 40 years and has already worn 4 different jerseys. There is no tradition here.

Personally, I hope this jersey sticks around because it's the only way we're going to still have the royal blue. I absolutely hate the moment that pro sports started to move away from bright colors.

It would be great to have the tradition of the Detroit or Montreal jerseys, but we need to face facts here. We have a team that has been around for 40 years and has already worn 4 different jerseys. There is no tradition here.

Personally, I hope this jersey sticks around because it's the only way we're going to still have the royal blue. I absolutely hate the moment that pro sports started to move away from bright colors.

Would you be in favor of making the primary jersey royal blue too?

That's a huge exaggeration. They had the same uniforms for 26 years, then 10 years of completely different uniforms, then four seasons of blue and gold "banana slug" uniforms, and now they're back to uniforms that are the 21st century versions of what they originally wore. Basically, if this year was their first uniform change, you'd barely call it a change.

So over 40 years, the team colors have been blue and gold for 30 of those years and the team has had the same basic logo for almost that long. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. If we don't touch our home/road jerseys for a while starting now, we'll feel a lot more consistent.

Also, count me in as someone who likes alternate jerseys. These seasons are LONG. I like that team's can change things up a few times a year with different uniforms, so long as they fit the team's identity. The old navy blue Panthers, the old black Blackhawks, the current Sharks 3rd, the Leafs third, the Bruins third, and our current 3rd are all great. If the Sabres keep things simple and do a gold (yellow) version of their current white/road jersey, it'll look incredible and they'd have a home/road/alt all with the same colors and logo.

How "Bucky" of you!

Would you be in favor of making the primary jersey royal blue too?

I would, but if we're choosing between that and the gold/yellow 3rd jersey that SliverNRed just suggested, I'd rather stick with what we have now. I've never seen a yellow jersey I liked and I really don't mind the navy version we wear at home right now. They're going to run with 3 jerseys and maybe it could be better than what we have now, but I'm happy.

If the Sabres keep things simple and do a gold (yellow) version of their current white/road jersey, it'll look incredible and they'd have a home/road/alt all with the same colors and logo.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yellow jerseys are so friggin' ugly.

I like this. You were originally accused of being Bucky when you first started posting. Now you're throwing that accusation around. It's almost like you've officially become one of us now.

But carp is Drew Stafford and chz is some dude named Jaworski, 62, of Depew, right?

both detroit and montreal sweater designs underwent many changes (some minor, some not) in their first 40 years before settling in to the current versions they now sport. granted, there were no drastic color scheme changes of note, but detroit actually went through six designs in their first six seasons.

if pegs comes in and restores a lighter shade of blue (closer to the original royal) to the current sweaters, i'm certainly not going to scream "money grab!"

i think pegula has a lot bigger things to worry about then what shade of blue is on their jersey. if he makes ANY jersey changes at all I'll be pissed, unless they accompany a major roster overhaul (and by major i mean at least one of Miller/Vanek/Pominville gone). otherwise, is is just that- a money grab.

Archived