Lots of Decisions to be made

thesportsbuff

Now that I've come to terms with the fact that this season is lost, it's time to start looking at next year. And oh, boy are there some decisions to be made! At the forefront is the opportunity for new ownership to either replace or extend Regier and Ruff, but since the discussion whether to keep/fire these two has pretty much dominated the board lately, I'd like to keep this thread more focused on the team roster itself.

First, let's look at the Sabres eligible to become Free Agents this July:

Tim Connolly (UFA) - 4.5 cap hit

Mike Grier (UFA) - 1.4 cap hit

Rob Neidermayer (UFA) - 1.15 cap hit

Cody McCormick (UFA) - .500 cap hit

Craig Rivet (UFA) - 3.5 cap hit

Steve Montador (UFA) - 1.55 cap hit

Patrick Lalime (UFA) - .600 cap hit

Drew Stafford (RFA) - 1.9 cap hit

Nathan Gerbe (RFA) - .850 cap hit

Andrej Sekera (RFA) - 1.0 cap hit

Chris Butler (RFA) - .850 cap hit

Mike Weber (RFA) - .550 cap hit

So, following the rules of addition by subtraction, this team would improve substantially simply by letting the majority of these players walk. Buffalo's version of a "veteran presence" will be gone with Grier, Niedermayer, Rivet and Lalime likely done in Buffalo. Much to the delight of my fellow SabreSpace brethren, Connolly will certainly not be a Sabre next season -- but the more likely scenario is that he'll be wearing a different uniform this March, now that the Sabres can safely plan on being sellers at the deadline. The only UFAs I would consider keeping are Montador and McCormick, though I wouldn't be upset if either was let go as well.

As for RFAs: Sekera, Butler, and Weber may all be worth keeping, but again, the likely scenario sees at least one of them being dealt at either the deadline or the draft. I can't see Stafford or Gerbe in Sabres uniforms next year either.

So what an opportunity. If Pegula takes over, regardless of whether he chooses to fire Regier or not, he'll have an immediate opportunity to give the roster a complete facelift. Let's talk trades:

Come deadline time, teams will be looking at players like Connolly, Stafford, Sekera, either for some depth scoring or some PP help. Connolly and Stafford are virtual no brainers -- trade each for a pick at the deadline and call it a done deal, ending the commitment and severing all ties with these two. Sekera I would like to keep, but he can be had for the right price. The goal is to stock pile draft picks.

Next up? Ryan Miller. There's not many teams in this league that wouldn't inquire about Miller if he were shopped around. And, even more importantly, I'd be willing to bet we could find a fair amount of suitors willing to take on Pominville's contract along with Miller in exchange for a package of picks (including a Top 10) or a high-end forward. Better yet, SOMEONE out there might be open to trading away a superstar forward for Miller & Vanek. It's all just a matter of what kind of changes new management will want to make -- if they decide to move Miller, it can be done.

Next season might end up being a dreaded "rebuilding" year, but I'm excited about the possibility of October 2011's opening night roster lacking Connolly, Stafford, Grier, Neids, Rivet, Lalime, Gerbe, Pommer/Vanek, and Miller. Imagine the chance to rebuild, this time around Roy, Myers, Ennis, and whatever free agents Santa Clause brings us on July 1st, with that extra $20-25 million in cap space.

The possibilities have me drooling.

I'm now more excited for the future than I am of the present season as well. How much worse can it get? Blow it up and rebuild. As much as the thought of restocking and rebuilding turns me off we haven't really made the playoffs in the last decade with any regularity anyways. I, like many Sabres fans are used to not making it to the dance anyways so lets roll. Look at a team like chicago or even L.A. this year. You can turn it around in a fairly short timeframe if and when the right person is brought in to lead the rebuilding process.

Well, personally, I'd try and lock up Sekera long term. We developed him, we should keep him. I'm sure the "he's not as tough enough" crowd would up in arms over this, but what ever.

Montador is gone. No way he will stay, and that's too bad.

Looks like they can dump some real dead weight though, Neidermyer, Grier, Rivet, Connolly and Lalime should all be gone. Not sure who will replace them, but I can't believe the new players will be worse than these guys.

I'm now more excited for the future than I am of the present season as well. How much worse can it get? Blow it up and rebuild. As much as the thought of restocking and rebuilding turns me off we haven't really made the playoffs in the last decade with any regularity anyways. I, like many Sabres fans are used to not making it to the dance anyways so lets roll. Look at a team like chicago or even L.A. this year. You can turn it around in a fairly short timeframe if and when the right person is brought in to lead the rebuilding process.

Prior to last year's success season by the Kings, they missed the prior 6 playoffs and in that span went through 5 different head coaches. The Blackhawks have had tons of success the last two years, but previous five seasons they missed playoffs and had 5 different head coaches in that time period as well. Those five bad years, also included two top 5 draft picks, which one of them was 1st overall in Patrick Kane. It was a long and painful process for both teams and their fanbases.

Well, personally, I'd try and lock up Sekera long term. We developed him, we should keep him. I'm sure the "he's not as tough enough" crowd would up in arms over this, but what ever.

Montador is gone. No way he will stay, and that's too bad.

Looks like they can dump some real dead weight though, Neidermyer, Grier, Rivet, Connolly and Lalime should all be gone. Not sure who will replace them, but I can't believe the new players will be worse than these guys.

Out of the list of free agents, i think McCormick, Sekera and Weber return. The other guys i think will leave because of free agency, retire or get traded in a package deal.

Out of the list of free agents, i think McCormick, Sekera and Weber return. The other guys i think will leave because of free agency, retire or get traded in a package deal.

I agree. I want McCormick back. Imagine a third line of Kaleta, McCormick and Kassian next year. Assuming Kaleta is a little healthier next year, that line could bring a ton of energy, much like he and McCormick do individually now.

I think Butler is the likely choice to be traded out of him/Weber/Sekera.

I'm not certain we won't see Connolly, Stafford, or Gerbe on the team next season. Just because fans aren't happy with them doesn't mean mgmt isn't.

As the biggest Tim Connolly supporter on the board, I can say with absolute certainty that barring a 30 goal second half, he won't be back next year. Gerbe is a bit of a question mark. Stafford is very doubtful.

I'm not certain we won't see Connolly, Stafford, or Gerbe on the team next season. Just because fans aren't happy with them doesn't mean mgmt isn't.

Unless he takes a massive hit on his salary, i think it's fair to say Connolly will not be back. Stafford is still an unknown, and you are right, fans may not be happy with him but maybe management is? I am a Stafford fan but i just think his time here is done. As for Gerbe, i think as of today, nobody knows about his future. He's auditioning for a roster spot right now with Roy gone. He's got 3 goals in 41 NHL games. But a real good end to the season would definitely bring him back. But, he finishes the season with 6 goals, i doubt they waste their money on him.

Prior to last year's success season by the Kings, they missed the prior 6 playoffs and in that span went through 5 different head coaches. The Blackhawks have had tons of success the last two years, but previous five seasons they missed playoffs and had 5 different head coaches in that time period as well. Those five bad years, also included two top 5 draft picks, which one of them was 1st overall in Patrick Kane. It was a long and painful process for both teams and their fanbases.

I'll agree with what you're saying but my point was that its also been a long and painful process for the fans of Buffalo for the last decade and what do we have to show for it?

I agree. I want McCormick back. Imagine a third line of Kaleta, McCormick and Kassian next year. Assuming Kaleta is a little healthier next year, that line could bring a ton of energy, much like he and McCormick do individually now.

I think Butler is the likely choice to be traded out of him/Weber/Sekera.

I like to imagine Kassian no lower than the 2nd line based on my own personal projection of what type of player he will become. The world junior tournament hopefully will open some eyes.

I like to imagine Kassian no lower than the 2nd line based on my own personal projection of what type of player he will become. The world junior tournament hopefully will open some eyes.

Admittedly I haven't really ever seen him play, so I'm just going by word of mouth. I thought the general consensus was that he's big and physical, but like many other big physical guys, he may lack the offensive upside we're looking for -- at least that's the jist I got pre-season when Lindy returned him to juniors.

Can't wait to watch him play in the tournament though. And Foligno.

I'll agree with what you're saying but my point was that its also been a long and painful process for the fans of Buffalo for the last decade and what do we have to show for it?

Since Darcy has arrived in Buffalo, we've been one of the better teams with consistency and had a few cracks at Lords Stanley Cup. Things are not as bad as some make it to be. Sure, right now, it's pretty bad. But theres tons of talent on this team that could take us to the promised land.

Admittedly I haven't really ever seen him play, so I'm just going by word of mouth. I thought the general consensus was that he's big and physical, but like many other big physical guys, he may lack the offensive upside we're looking for -- at least that's the jist I got pre-season when Lindy returned him to juniors.

Can't wait to watch him play in the tournament though. And Foligno.

To be honest maybe its wishful thinking on my part but I've seen hockey people(T.S.N.) absolutely gush when they talk of his upside and in particular in regards to the world junior squad for Canada. That line of Kassian and Foligno and the other prospect (sorry I don't recall his name) should be good.

Since Darcy has arrived in Buffalo, we've been one of the better teams with consistency and had a few cracks at Lords Stanley Cup. Things are not as bad as some make it to be. Sure, right now, it's pretty bad. But theres tons of talent on this team that could take us to the promised land.

This year will make 6 out of 13 years missing the playoffs. I don't see how that makes the Sabres "one of the better teams with consistency."

This year will make 6 out of 13 years missing the playoffs. I don't see how that makes the Sabres "one of the better teams with consistency."

More specifically, 6 out of the previous 9 seasons missing the playoffs. I don't give him any credit for Hasek. Darcy is a frigging fraud of a GM. I hate everything about this piece of dry stool, right down to his sissy name.

Rivet, Connolly, Lalime, Grier, Niedermayer...gone. End of debate on this thread regarding these 5 has-beens and never-weres. That's $11.15 million down the drain this season. Frigging unbelievable.

Montador, McCormick...offer them 2 year contracts at market value. If they take them? Great. If not? Oh well.

Sekera, Butler, Weber, Stafford, Gerbe...tender them contracts. If other teams want them, go ahead and take the draft pick compensation. But all 5 are still young, and I also kind of wonder how much Lindsay Ruff is to blame for their stalled developments.

It can and probably will get much worse.

Agreed. When fans start to consider this record of mediocraty as one of the better in the league in terms of consistency then thats as good as it'll get. Set the bar higher than that and things will get better,eventually.

Agreed. When fans start to consider this record of mediocraty as one of the better in the league in terms of consistency then thats as good as it'll get. Set the bar higher than that and things will get better,eventually.

I beginning to wonder if Buffalo sports fans are afraid of real success. There seems to be a growing number of fans that are happy with mediocrity. Maybe "No Goal" and "Wide Right" have scarred the Buffalo sports fan to the point that they are willing to give up any dream of wining a championship in exchange for never getting there and having their heart broken again.

I say why not keep Stafford. He's still improving and due to his RFA status can probably be had for a reasonable price. He's not the superstar you build a team around, but I think he's a good player worth his current salary. Realistically, the team can't just dump everyone on the list and replace them with the wave of a magic wand. Darcy just has to start signing players for their appropriate value from now on, instead of pretending guys like Hecht, Pominville, Connolly, and Stafford are worth top-line $$$. Then please, just this once, use the savings to bring in one big name from the FA market to score some effing goals.

I would also keep Montador, Weber, McCormick, and Sekera. I think Montador, being a UFA with increasing value, will be the toughest to keep around. Might as well keep Butler and Gerbe, too. They will be cheap and they know the system - again, not superstars but quality players to round out the roster.

Everyone else on the list should be gone, but I'm sure some will stay. It's kind of scary that all the greybeards will be walking at the same time, but they don't seem to be helping produce victories, so I guess it's time to cut ties. Sadly, there's only one substantial contract (TC) on the list, so it won't make for a huge salary cap windfall. This team is a long way from being good.

Now that I've come to terms with the fact that this season is lost, it's time to start looking at next year. And oh, boy are there some decisions to be made! At the forefront is the opportunity for new ownership to either replace or extend Regier and Ruff, but since the discussion whether to keep/fire these two has pretty much dominated the board lately, I'd like to keep this thread more focused on the team roster itself.

First, let's look at the Sabres eligible to become Free Agents this July:

Tim Connolly (UFA) - 4.5 cap hit

Mike Grier (UFA) - 1.4 cap hit

Rob Neidermayer (UFA) - 1.15 cap hit

Cody McCormick (UFA) - .500 cap hit

Craig Rivet (UFA) - 3.5 cap hit

Steve Montador (UFA) - 1.55 cap hit

Patrick Lalime (UFA) - .600 cap hit

Drew Stafford (RFA) - 1.9 cap hit

Nathan Gerbe (RFA) - .850 cap hit

Andrej Sekera (RFA) - 1.0 cap hit

Chris Butler (RFA) - .850 cap hit

Mike Weber (RFA) - .550 cap hit

So, following the rules of addition by subtraction, this team would improve substantially simply by letting the majority of these players walk. Buffalo's version of a "veteran presence" will be gone with Grier, Niedermayer, Rivet and Lalime likely done in Buffalo. Much to the delight of my fellow SabreSpace brethren, Connolly will certainly not be a Sabre next season -- but the more likely scenario is that he'll be wearing a different uniform this March, now that the Sabres can safely plan on being sellers at the deadline. The only UFAs I would consider keeping are Montador and McCormick, though I wouldn't be upset if either was let go as well.

As for RFAs: Sekera, Butler, and Weber may all be worth keeping, but again, the likely scenario sees at least one of them being dealt at either the deadline or the draft. I can't see Stafford or Gerbe in Sabres uniforms next year either.

So what an opportunity. If Pegula takes over, regardless of whether he chooses to fire Regier or not, he'll have an immediate opportunity to give the roster a complete facelift. Let's talk trades:

Come deadline time, teams will be looking at players like Connolly, Stafford, Sekera, either for some depth scoring or some PP help. Connolly and Stafford are virtual no brainers -- trade each for a pick at the deadline and call it a done deal, ending the commitment and severing all ties with these two. Sekera I would like to keep, but he can be had for the right price. The goal is to stock pile draft picks.

Next up? Ryan Miller. There's not many teams in this league that wouldn't inquire about Miller if he were shopped around. And, even more importantly, I'd be willing to bet we could find a fair amount of suitors willing to take on Pominville's contract along with Miller in exchange for a package of picks (including a Top 10) or a high-end forward. Better yet, SOMEONE out there might be open to trading away a superstar forward for Miller & Vanek. It's all just a matter of what kind of changes new management will want to make -- if they decide to move Miller, it can be done.

Next season might end up being a dreaded "rebuilding" year, but I'm excited about the possibility of October 2011's opening night roster lacking Connolly, Stafford, Grier, Neids, Rivet, Lalime, Gerbe, Pommer/Vanek, and Miller. Imagine the chance to rebuild, this time around Roy, Myers, Ennis, and whatever free agents Santa Clause brings us on July 1st, with that extra $20-25 million in cap space.

The possibilities have me drooling.

Everyone should be considered tradable with maybe Myers being an exception....I'd look at the Devils as possible trading partners....

Archived