Fans at the Arena?

deluca67

A interesting conversation was had on WGR today in regards to the crowds at the Arena. Jerry Sullivan, Schoop and The Bull Dog had some remarks that really support the position PA has had for some time.

Shhhhhhh, it will only encourage him.

Shhhhhhh, it will only encourage him.

Jerry Sullivan mentioned that writers from other teams have been mentioning the lack of atmosphere at the Arena. I know it's not the popular "what will the next jersey look like" thread. I still thing there is a discussion to be had.

Mediocre team + distracting background "stuff" + marketing efforts directed at upper middle class families = Quiet crowds.

The game experience hasn't been the same since the team left the Aud and doubled ticket prices. Yeah, tix are lower in price now, and there are periods when the team is going well that the band waggoners jump in and make noise at the games, but overall, the rowdy fan was made to feel unwelcome and now stays home.

Mediocre team + distracting background "stuff" + marketing efforts directed at upper middle class families = Quiet crowds.

The game experience hasn't been the same since the team left the Aud and doubled ticket prices. Yeah, tix are lower in price now, and there are periods when the team is going well that the band waggoners jump in and make noise at the games, but overall, the rowdy fan was made to feel unwelcome and now stays home.

The big thing, I think, is the play style change from run and gun that really excited people...to the much less exciting defensive style they've adopted.

The problem is the fact that the majority of the people that attend are season ticket holders. I for one don't really get very excited about going to hockey games anymore. I don't yell over every stupid thing anymore, although I do pay close attention, and of course yell when they score, etc.

If the team wants a more lively crowd, play more lively hockey.

I don't buy it. You should have stopped at "mediocre team." I think the crowd is a reflection of the roster which is a reflection of the management. It's unenthusiastic and lacking any real passion for the game.

Jerry Sullivan mentioned that writers from other teams have been mentioning the lack of atmosphere at the Arena. I know it's not the popular "what will the next jersey look like" thread. I still thing there is a discussion to be had.

I know. I'm just funnin. I still say that style of play and results play a big part in that atmosphere.

As to the broadcast, last night, at around the 4:30 mark (damn, I wish it was 4:20) of the third, there was a Let's Go Buffalo chant. You could see lots of people doing it but it was really quiet on the broadcast.

I did some digging and found out that due to money constraints, we might not be getting the best audio possible from the arena. That's all I'm going to say for discretion's sake.

I don't buy it. You should have stopped at "mediocre team." I think the crowd is a reflection of the roster which is a reflection of the management. It's unenthusiastic and lacking any real passion for the game.

But you have affirmed what I said earlier. The crowd is a reflection of management. They attracted a ticket base that is content to be distracted and has no passion for the game. the passionate fans are at home because the team chose to market to a different set of demographics.

The crowd was different at the Aud, even during the mediocre 80's years. It was younger, less wealthy, drank more, and was a whole lot rowdier. The used to show up at the Aud regardless of how poorly the team played. At the Aud when the team was iffy, it was the quiet, upper middle class fans that stayed home. I was a season ticket holder back then. When they moved to HSBC the difference was obvious. Ushers were quicker to quiet loud fans, the tix were more expensive so the rowdies were less likely to afford them, and the venue was marketed towards a more family-freindly crowd. As you said, its a reflection of management.

The crowds became rowdy during successful runs at HSBC, but IMO when the team was successful (Hasek era and Briere/Drury era) the young, rowdy crowd paid up to watch the team. Without the success, the rowdies don't go.

But you have affirmed what I said earlier. The crowd is a reflection of management. They attracted a ticket base that is content to be distracted and has no passion for the game. the passionate fans are at home because the team chose to market to a different set of demographics.

The crowd was different at the Aud, even during the mediocre 80's years. It was younger, less wealthy, drank more, and was a whole lot rowdier. The used to show up at the Aud regardless of how poorly the team played. At the Aud when the team was iffy, it was the quiet, upper middle class fans that stayed home. I was a season ticket holder back then. When they moved to HSBC the difference was obvious. Ushers were quicker to quiet loud fans, the tix were more expensive so the rowdies were less likely to afford them, and the venue was marketed towards a more family-freindly crowd. As you said, its a reflection of management.

The crowds became rowdy during successful runs at HSBC, but IMO when the team was successful (Hasek era and Briere/Drury era) the young, rowdy crowd paid up to watch the team. Without the success, the rowdies don't go.

I don't know if I can agree that the arena experience depends on the "bandwagon" or "casual" fans. You may be right. I Guess I am just hoping that you are wrong. I am showing my age here but my passion for this hockey team is more than a trend.

I know. I'm just funnin. I still say that style of play and results play a big part in that atmosphere.

As to the broadcast, last night, at around the 4:30 mark (damn, I wish it was 4:20) of the third, there was a Let's Go Buffalo chant. You could see lots of people doing it but it was really quiet on the broadcast.

I did some digging and found out that due to money constraints, we might not be getting the best audio possible from the arena. That's all I'm going to say for discretion's sake.

PEOPLE INSIDE THE ARENA ARE NOTICING HOW QUIET IT IS.

When it's loud, it comes through to those of us at home. After Kaleta's recent fight, man, it was deafening.

Nothing wrong with the Mr. Microphones OSP picked up on eBay.

PEOPLE INSIDE THE ARENA ARE NOTICING HOW QUIET IT IS.

When it's loud, it comes through to those of us at home. After Kaleta's recent fight, man, it was deafening.

Nothing wrong with the Mr. Microphones OSP picked up on eBay.

The media has noticed.

I have to say PA you have been on top of this from the beginning. The most common argument against you has been that you are not at the arena. That has been squashed by those that attend most games. This is a story. The apathy has made it's way from management to the players to the fans.

The lack of physical play is a big reason as well.

You don't need to play goon hockey, but when you lay hits and play the body....and don't let anyone get away with liberties...the fans notice.

I went to the Kings game with my cousin who is in her 20's, and there was a fight early on. The crowd errupted, and she goes, "that was fun!". Then McCormick and a King wanted to go, but were held back and each got 2 minutes. I told her..."watch what happens when the penalties are over...if the play is going on they will come out and beat the crap out of each other." The only reason I was confident that would happen is because it was McCormick. Anyone else on the team probably would have slinked out of the box and worried about their defensive assignment in Lindy's system. Sure enough....they come out whaling on each other. My cousin went nuts and learned a little about how the game used to be played. Afterwards, she said that was the most fun part. And she's more a girlie girl than beer swiller.

There are few chants. Back in the day, every clearing on a penalty kil would get an ovation and when the penalty was over fans would semi-errupt. I also agree that the in-house promotion overkill makes for an annoying experience and a less educated fan. Take the Bills for instance.....the most fun I had recently was when they lost power for the first half of the San Diego game a few years ago. It was what War Memorial was probably like. It was beautiful.....just you and the game. But most of the young fans had no clue what was going on. Simple things like what the different orange sidelide markers meant, or hand signals for penalties. They seemed to have fun too, but it was obvious that this was not the glory years fans who could tell you what number Howard Ballard and Hal Garner were.

If Pegula comes, I hope he understands the need for a restructuring of the arena experience. I used to sit in the Oranges behind a mother and son in their 60's and 40's, who had matching jerseys, matching beers, and matching mulletts. but they were good fans and good people. Now Chet and Muffy (that should be trademarked), rule the day. For as dour as I can come across...if this team played with some nuts day in and day out, I would still have my seats, drink my 5 beers with a beef on weck and nachos, cheer, scream, and pay attention to every last detail. In all honesty though, the last few years feel like I am at a business seminar. I could just as easily check my voicemail or daydream as play is going on. Yes, boring team = boring fans.

This whole ownership change has me excited again. If it falls through, I may just give up on hockey alltogether. If it happens and he is 80% as good as he sounds, I will expect to be a "full blown" fan sooner than later.

The lack of physical play is a big reason as well.

You don't need to play goon hockey, but when you lay hits and play the body....and don't let anyone get away with liberties...the fans notice.

I went to the Kings game with my cousin who is in her 20's, and there was a fight early on. The crowd errupted, and she goes, "that was fun!". Then McCormick and a King wanted to go, but were held back and each got 2 minutes. I told her..."watch what happens when the penalties are over...if the play is going on they will come out and beat the crap out of each other." The only reason I was confident that would happen is because it was McCormick. Anyone else on the team probably would have slinked out of the box and worried about their defensive assignment in Lindy's system. Sure enough....they come out whaling on each other. My cousin went nuts and learned a little about how the game used to be played. Afterwards, she said that was the most fun part. And she's more a girlie girl than beer swiller.

There are few chants. Back in the day, every clearing on a penalty kil would get an ovation and when the penalty was over fans would semi-errupt. I also agree that the in-house promotion overkill makes for an annoying experience and a less educated fan. Take the Bills for instance.....the most fun I had recently was when they lost power for the first half of the San Diego game a few years ago. It was what War Memorial was probably like. It was beautiful.....just you and the game. But most of the young fans had no clue what was going on. Simple things like what the different orange sidelide markers meant, or hand signals for penalties. They seemed to have fun too, but it was obvious that this was not the glory years fans who could tell you what number Howard Ballard and Hal Garner were.

If Pegula comes, I hope he understands the need for a restructuring of the arena experience. I used to sit in the Oranges behind a mother and son in their 60's and 40's, who had matching jerseys, matching beers, and matching mulletts. but they were good fans and good people. Now Chet and Muffy (that should be trademarked), rule the day. For as dour as I can come across...if this team played with some nuts day in and day out, I would still have my seats, drink my 5 beers with a beef on weck and nachos, cheer, scream, and pay attention to every last detail. In all honesty though, the last few years feel like I am at a business seminar. I could just as easily check my voicemail or daydream as play is going on. Yes, boring team = boring fans.

This whole ownership change has me excited again. If it falls through, I may just give up on hockey alltogether. If it happens and he is 80% as good as he sounds, I will expect to be a "full blown" fan sooner than later.

:clapping:

At the Aud, my ticket cost $5 and my beer cost $4.50. I don't think the ratio these days is nearly as bad.

$5.00 ticket? Where did you sit, behind one of the posts in the upper blues?

Look, I love beer. I mean I really love beer. But $8.00 a beer? It's not that the money is an issue, it just seems wrong to spend that much for a can of beer poured in a plastic cup that doesn't even taste that good when you get back to your seat. Cut the beer prices in half and I bet consumption, and crowd volume, doubles. Maybe muffy will even flash her teats at the camera.

$5.00 ticket? Where did you sit, behind one of the posts in the upper blues?

Look, I love beer. I mean I really love beer. But $8.00 a beer? It's not that the money is an issue, it just seems wrong to spend that much for a can of beer poured in a plastic cup that doesn't even taste that good when you get back to your seat. Cut the beer prices in half and I bet consumption, and crowd volume, doubles. Maybe muffy will even flash her teats at the camera.

The one end of the Oranges was $5. I don't know how I survived, because the 120 degree angle didn't make for confidence.

Sadly, $8 isn't bad for a stadium these days.

Muffy's $550 Coach bag would get in the way of her flash anyway.

I would like to say it is the win loss column but it's not. Game 5 last year in the playoffs was absolutely brutal - I mean BRUTAL. I just don't get it. The reason I picked every Toronto game in my ticket draft was because I knew the atmosphere was going to be better than any other game. Now tomorrow night, no excuses. Like Sullivan said on the radio today, come out and lay a hit on Crosby and let him know the streak stops tonight.....

I would like to say it is the win loss column but it's not. Game 5 last year in the playoffs was absolutely brutal - I mean BRUTAL. I just don't get it. The reason I picked every Toronto game in my ticket draft was because I knew the atmosphere was going to be better than any other game. Now tomorrow night, no excuses. Like Sullivan said on the radio today, come out and lay a hit on Crosby and let him know the streak stops tonight.....

I hear you. I haven't been to many games the past 3 years, but I enjoy the Toronto and Montreal ones just to get some passion in there. I have more fun talking with hockey fans and goofing around than an average game.

I think it's tough for transplants who don't get a chance to be at the arena to understand what has happened. When I lived in FL, I would go to the Sabres and Bills games all the time down there, and it is fun because you are in enemy territory and you love seeing and hanging out with Buffalo fans. So that passion is there because you have a sort of Alamo attitude. Any Sabre game is fun and you might think those in Buffalo who can go to 41 of them are crazy for complaining. But it really has turned dry.

The media has noticed.

I have to say PA you have been on top of this from the beginning. The most common argument against you has been that you are not at the arena. That has been squashed by those that attend most games. This is a story. The apathy has made it's way from management to the players to the fans.

I'm trying to figure out what this post means. You are saying that it's not just PA saying it's quiet there because others are saying it now. Yet we have posters on this very board who have said they were at a game they knew to be loud, then watched it at home and said it sounded a lot quieter on the broadcast.

Your last line sums up what really pisses me off most about this topic. It implies that it is somehow the fan's fault that the Sabres are a crappy team. It is not the fans fault that the Sabres have only made the playoffs 3 out of 8 seasons (soon to be 9?). It is not the fans fault that there was no improvement over the past summer. It is not the fans fault that the Sabres had a really crappy first quarter of the season. The fans support this team plenty.

If you don't like it, go to a game and cheer. If not then shut it (not you in particular).

Archived