The League’s Best Anonymous Defenceman

Two or less

The League’s Best Anonymous Defenceman

He was never drafted. He has never represented his country in an international tournament. At 30 years of age, he has already played for five different NHL teams. He’s in the final year of his current contract, a two year deal that pays him a modest $1.55 million per season, and it’s a deal that is easily the richest of his career.

Despite that, little known Steve Montador is a truly remarkable defenceman.

Generally, I’ve seen Montador described as a rugged, defensive defenceman. There’s some truth to that description. He’s not a huge player, especially for his position (just 6’, 207lbs) but he fights (he’s fought 20 times in the past two seasons), he throws hits (currently leads the Sabres in hits with 40 in 25 games), and he blocks shots (currently leads the Sabres with 51 blocked shots in 25 games). Perhaps more importantly, he hasn’t been a minus defenceman once in the post-lockout era; despite playing for some lousy teams he’s a cumulative plus-39 since the lockout.

But describing Montador as a defensive defenceman also does him a disservice, because it doesn’t come close to covering the entirety of his game. He’s an incredibly underrated offensive defenceman, one of the best in the game at even-strength. The following chart shows his 5-on-5 scoring going back to 2007-08 (the earliest data provided by Behind The Net)

Rest of story- http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/11/29/the-leagues-best-anonymous-defenceman/

Read this tonight, thought it was a good read and thought i'd share it with you guys. I've never been a big Monty fan but he has played very good this season, despite having several big mistakes.

I'm a Montador fan. But I've always considered him a #5-6 defenceman. He's really come alive this year. I don't know if it is the defensive coaching here or the system or what, but he is playing like an honest 2nd pair d-man. And he seems to really up his effort when a big moment is needed. I hope Buffalo resigns him. He has just the attitude and mindset the Sabres need more of on the roster.

The pairing of Leopold and Montador has been excellent this year. Montador had some rough patches last year where he was even a healthy scratch. But, this year, I think the Leopold-Montador pairing is arguably the best pairing the Sabres have going right now. Montador also seems to have a laser slap shot from the point. I have been overall very pleased with his addition to the Sabres since last year, and he's really stepped up his game this year.

In addition to Montador, I have to say that Leopold has been fantastic this year. Like him or not, give credit to Darcy on this one as this looks like a really good signing so far. I always felt that Leopold was better than he had performed throughout his career and was an injury prone underachiever, much like Tim Connolly. But, he's finally gotten the chance to prove his talent and he's been really good for the Sabres this year. If only the forwards would step up their games and match the scoring from the blueline, this team would be in great shape.

The pairing of Leopold and Montador has been excellent this year. Montador had some rough patches last year where he was even a healthy scratch. But, this year, I think the Leopold-Montador pairing is arguably the best pairing the Sabres have going right now. Montador also seems to have a laser slap shot from the point. I have been overall very pleased with his addition to the Sabres since last year, and he's really stepped up his game this year.

In addition to Montador, I have to say that Leopold has been fantastic this year. Like him or not, give credit to Darcy on this one as this looks like a really good signing so far. I always felt that Leopold was better than he had performed throughout his career and was an injury prone underachiever, much like Tim Connolly. But, he's finally gotten the chance to prove his talent and he's been really good for the Sabres this year. If only the forwards would step up their games and match the scoring from the blueline, this team would be in great shape.

+1. Great post.

spot on, they've both been excellent this year. if the Myers & Sekera pair does end up flourishing and Butler & Morrisonn work out too then we should have a very solid defensive core. they have done more than their part in taking some of the scoring burden, aren't we like leading the league in that stat?

now if only we could get a couple of real forwards.. sigh

Notsofast. Things might be changing.

Regardless of who owns the Sabres, overpaying for a guy like Monty would be ill-advised, just as it would've been with Tallinder/Lydman and as it has been, grieviously, with Pommer and Hecht.

Having said that, I can see the Sabres giving him something like 2 years x $2.25MM.

Regardless of who owns the Sabres, overpaying for a guy like Monty would be ill-advised, just as it would've been with Tallinder/Lydman and as it has been, grieviously, with Pommer and Hecht.

Having said that, I can see the Sabres giving him something like 2 years x $2.25MM.

I see you're already fretting over Pegula's fortune.

I wouldn't argue for overpaying Montador, probably more like paying fair market value. You have to do that sometimes, otherwise you risk being 25th in goals against.

I wouldn't argue for overpaying Montador, probably more like paying fair market value. You have to do that sometimes, otherwise you risk being 25th in goals against.

On this potentially momentous day, I will refrain from hurling my usual javelin at you and will only ask this: do you not understand that if Tallinder or Montador or average-to-decent other defenseman X gets $3.5MM per year x 4 years, we are married to that guy in the top 4 for the next 4 years? Same goes for Pommer, Vanek and the rest of the stiffs at forward: when they get big, long-term deals, we are stuck with them, taking up space and generally sucking the life out of the team -- and we are precluded from pursuing the real difference-makers like Pronger or Gaborik or Chara (or keeping our own difference-makers like Briere or Soupy).

It's not a question of saving Pegula's or TG's money. It's a simple matter of not wasting limited resources in order to preserve the ability to get guys who really are good. And this is true regardless of whether their limit is $59MM or $55MM.

BTW, don't we have Monty now? And aren't we 25th in GA now?

That will be a tough decision for the new GM. :thumbsup:

But how many of these goals was monty on the ice for? He's part of the solution not the problem.

IMO

But how many of these goals was monty on the ice for? He's part of the solution not the problem.

IMO

I agree.

Who would argue that a defenseman who is plus 16, one off the league lead, is part of the reason the Sabres are 25th in GA?

Archived