Why Continue to Post?

Dave Dryden

i come here to find comfort in my own thoughts regarding the sabres franchise. i rarely contribute anymore, since by the time i log on and read what's been posted since my last visit, my thoughts have more than likely already been expressed by somebody else. reassurance? i guess that's what this board is to me. if the nay-sayers and doom enthusiasts stop posting, i might start thinking that my feelings about the downward trend of this team are misplaced. and vice versa, when they are doing well, and in times of great fortune, it plays out the same way...my happy thoughts are propped up with the usually more well worded posts by plenty other people.

keep up the good work, i say.

one thing i've noticed, and i'm sure it's the same with every franchise, regardless of how the team is performing there are always those with negative opinions about how things are being done. it's just something we've all got to live with and accept, i suppose.

It's pretty hard to peg the decline of the Sabres after 1999 to Larry Quinn.

We can thank the Rigas family for the first 4 or 5 years of that period, but we can p**s all over Quinn's shoes for everything since 2004. Although this sentence from the Feb, 25, 2004 Buffalo News seems to suggest that Quinn's current tenure isn't the first time he's screwed up the Sabres:

Former Sabres President Larry Quinn, fired after a dispute with the Rigas family and condemned for his role in some of the most tumultuous days in team history, emerged from the shadows with a billionaire in tow.

I did not suggest there was anything wrong with it. Sports is an escape, but if it is an escape that you know will largely cause you pain--at least in the near term-what good is that? Is it not simply an investment in knowing frustration--at least for now? I mean if you know it is sh@t, do you need to wade in it neck deep. Can't you look at it from a distance, or just get your feet a little dirty?

So is Religion, (an often painful escape) but people still attend Church, Synagogue or Mosque to listen to fire and brim stone...

I love all the answers, especially the analogy to this being an "online bar," but at the end of the day, I think we all do it because we are TRUE fans.

We don't drop below 10k in attendance b/c the team sucks for a few years. The Bills finally had a sellout streak of four years end despite not having made the playoffs for a decade.

yeah, attendance will fluctuate, but at the of the day, fans of buffalo teams are so starved to finally see one of their teams win it all, that they always cling to that hope - because it is what true fans do, rather than how many other cities load up the bandwagon once their team becomes good

Days like today are why we all keep posting. We go from a hopeless situation here with Status Quo to the possibility that someone with actual passion for the game may be taking control.

It's almost like Pegula waited to leak out his interest until Dave made this post.

Archived