Unconfirmed rumor

Two or less

Yea you can play with a sports hernia, its not a typical hernia. Its a pain threshold issue, its a stabbing pain anytime you make a cut, but otherwise walking around its feels fine.

How do you explain guys like Pomminstein who has been so healthy.

Goose was never a bull, he's 6'5 220 beanpole.

I would ask you to do some careful analysis of other teams and their medical issues before you bash the sabres medical team.

You dont know anything about medicine to state that they clearly mismanaged "major" medical issues.

Goose is 20lbs lighter than he was.

Pominville is having his day right now. Lindy is already making excuses for him.

I'm sorry if you or others have friends on the training staff, and it might not all be on them since they may be under orders, but this team does not understand the pyhsiology and composition of an athlete and I have said it for years. I just gave 10 examples of MAJOR issues they played with or outright missed.

Thank god Phil Kessell wasn't a Sabre, or he'd be in the grave with a 12 lb testicle right now.

Pominville is having his day right now. Lindy is already making excuses for him.

I'm sorry if you or others have friends on the training staff, and it might not all be on them since they may be under orders, but this team does not understand the pyhsiology and composition of an athlete and I have said it for years. I just gave 10 examples of MAJOR issues they played with or outright missed.

Thank god Phil Kessell wasn't a Sabre, or he'd be in the grave with a 12 lb testicle right now.

Im sorry did i miss goose being listed at 240? i dont recall that. Lots of players decide to add or lose weight based on coaching etc.

I dont see how any of the injuries you listed are bona fide examples of mismanagement. I happen to work in medicine and understand that its not exact science, each one of those injuries has easy explanantions.

For example - bones rebreak, tallinder is hardly the only athlete to have this happen to him.

Connolly - his injury was treated with cutting edge treatments. so kinda hard to blame the staff on that one.

Mckee - an infected cut? cmon now, people get infections after surgeries in even the best medical institutions in the world, hardly incompetence, it happens.

Rivet - a torn labrum and cuff are not treatable aside from surgery, not sure how thats the staffs fault.

btw a player playing with an injury is mismanagement?? some injuries are simply a threshold issue.

Im sorry did i miss goose being listed at 240? i dont recall that. Lots of players decide to add or lose weight based on coaching etc.

I dont see how any of the injuries you listed are bona fide examples of mismanagement. I happen to work in medicine and understand that its not exact science, each one of those injuries has easy explanantions.

For example - bones rebreak, tallinder is hardly the only athlete to have this happen to him.

Connolly - his injury was treated with cutting edge treatments. so kinda hard to blame the staff on that one.

Mckee - an infected cut? cmon now, people get infections after surgeries in even the best medical institutions in the world, hardly incompetence, it happens.

Rivet - a torn labrum and cuff are not treatable aside from surgery, not sure how thats the staffs fault.

btw a player playing with an injury is mismanagement?? some injuries are simply a threshold issue.

These are pro athletes making millions of dollars and responsible for the well-being of a $200 million investment.

You SHOULD have your hands all over these guys and know BEFORE things go wrong in some instances, let alone screw up recovery.

Connolly was treated cutting edge, AFTER being notified by an outside source that they had it wrong as he sat for a year.

Injuries happen....but it is early identification and management of an injury or potential injury that is the main asset of a medical staff. If you think it's about taping ankles, stretching, and handing out loritab the day after a back-to-back....I can give you the name of few good Mexican grooms who will do it for $10 an hour, AND tell you when something isn't right with a player before he's out for 5 months.

That is such crap! Everyone knows the first thing the Sabres do when they acquire a new player is remove the testicles. B-)

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/32720-THNcom-Top-10-Games-lost-to-injury.html

sabres are far from most injured team.

Lay off the medical team, you dont know medicine.

:thumbsup:

Not only do I know athletic medicine, but I see treatments 5 years before they are accepted for human use.

Hey....they saved Malarchuck and Zednek. There's a bone for you.

They let Briere, Dumont, Kalinin and Gaustad all play with a hernia.

They let Connolly sit for a year assuming head when it was really a neck and it took a college to call them to tell them how to treat it.

Tallinder's arm was broken in the exact same spot days after returning.

They miss freaking MRSA on McKee until he nearly goes septic.

Rivet was useless with one shoulder.

Afinogenov was back from a "wrist" only to get scratched 2 games into the playoffs.

Dominik Moore came to town with a broken arm but vetted clean by our braintrust.

Who knows what else they have missed along the way.

Gaustad used to be a bull who could post up in front of the net, now he looks like he's in cycle 4 of chemo.

Miller gets run down to 163 lbs. every year

Bernier and Torres were too fat and slow for the system.

Anyone notice a trend? This isn't "stuff happens". These are all clearly major medical issues that have been mishandled.

Too bad Larry went to Cleveland for his surgery. He should have trusted his in-house guys to cut him open. Lub-lub....lub-lub...lub...beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

:lol: All true.

nice

OK....tell us your credentials, and if they are independent of the organization.

You sound flustered about this, which leads me to think you know someone or are connected. I shouldn't be so smartalec....because in honesty, you aren't trying to mislead anyone, just defending them.

I've dealt with more of the medical system than I ever wished I had. I know how many think. Sports is even trickier because you are on the lookout for someone that may not want to communicate fully the extent of their pain or injury. That is where it is up to the coaches and medical staff to have a keen sense of observation and to be as hands on as possible.....every day.

OK....tell us your credentials, and if they are independent of the organization.

You sound flustered about this, which leads me to think you know someone or are connected. I shouldn't be so smartalec....because in honesty, you aren't trying to mislead anyone, just defending them.

I've dealt with more of the medical system than I ever wished I had. I know how many think. Sports is even trickier because you are on the lookout for someone that may not want to communicate fully the extent of their pain or injury. That is where it is up to the coaches and medical staff to have a keen sense of observation and to be as hands on as possible.....every day.

Im not connected to the team. I work in medicine and would challenge anyone in rehab medicine knowledge.

Many other NHL teams experience far more injuries than the sabres as i showed in my link.. Yes smart ___ deluca said its one year but show me a year where the sabres were top 10 in man games lost?

The medical staff isnt in a position to challenge players on their condition. If a guy says it doesnt hurt and he;s playing ok they arent gonna say hey buddy you are out and gonna have an MRI. Thats not how it works.

it is from last season, which would be part of the "history".

One year of a problem that seems to be covering many years. It seems your best move would be to address each issue individually where the Sabres medical team is being criticized. Pointing out they weren't in the top 10 in injuries doesn't address the point made let alone disprove it.

Im not connected to the team. I work in medicine and would challenge anyone in rehab medicine knowledge.

Many other NHL teams experience far more injuries than the sabres as i showed in my link.. Yes smart ___ deluca said its one year but show me a year where the sabres were top 10 in man games lost?

The medical staff isnt in a position to challenge players on their condition. If a guy says it doesnt hurt and he;s playing ok they arent gonna say hey buddy you are out and gonna have an MRI. Thats not how it works.

You work in medicine?

Look at the list Ghost of Dwight Drane listed. Now, if you were looking at a similar list and it was for children of one family are you not trained to consider that a red flag? I'm not saying the Sabres are abused kids. A case could be made for a certain level of negligence.

You work in medicine?

Look at the list Ghost of Dwight Drane listed. Now, if you were looking at a similar list and it was for children of one family are you not trained to consider that a red flag? I'm not saying the Sabres are abused kid. A case could be made for a certain level of negligence.

I looked at the list and addressed several of them. heres a list from the season before the one i listed. Sabres are #20. http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/03/official-man-games-lost-to-injury.html

They werent in the top ten, so the point could be made the list would be longer for many other teams.

The medical team is far from negligent. The standard for medical negligence is high, no one has put forth anything to suggest they were negligent. look up the definition for medical malpractice.

I work with a guy who is a former trainer of the Buffalo Sabres and went to the Amerks game last night, and met up with an old friend whos still a current Sabres scout to catch up on things... and the scout told him Ryan Miller will be out for 4-5 months because they will have him get surgery. They thought rest would heal it but his leg isn't getting any better and will opt for surgery.

Like i said, it's obviously a rumor. I don't know what was said because i wasn't there but i don't see why this guy would lie to me or i don't see why the scout, whos his friend, would lie to him. Take it for what its worth, but since i heard it today, i felt i needed to share it with you guys but i pray to god this is false.

I think the time frame may have been 4-5 weeks and not 4-5 months...that would be a severe injury and he wouldn't have been able to just play with it...

No....when you are dealing with a $200 million franchise, and ego driven, dollar driven, lucky if they have completed high school athletes....you tell them.."Hey RY...looks like you are a little slow in getting back to your feet...what's up?"

"Uh...nothing Lindy....just focusing."

"Really.....hey Corsi? He looking a little off to you today?"

"Uh....duh....fluhhh..."

"Thanks for the input Jim.....hey doc.....come here for a sec........Ry....I want you to jump into a butterfly and spring back up 5 times....alternating posts."

"Uh....ok?"

"That's great...thanks Millsie......."ok doc, you can tell he's off, especially going to his right....probably something in the left leg."

"Yeah, he's got no punch in the left....I'll feel around and get an ultrasound up and down."

"Thanks Doc"

Now THAT.....is how it's supposed to work. The organization is run so half-assed and in denial that I wouldn't doubt that isn't what happens. But there is NO excuse for a room full of 20 guys, not to have HANDS ON each of them every day. No excuse. Yes....you DO an MRI if something is off. This isn't Medicaid we are talking about. You are paying Vanek $6,000 for every minute of ice time. Burn the freaking $300 on an ultrasound or $1,000 on a CT.

That's great that you work in rehab medicine. I am sure you are fine in what you do. But running a bunch of pro atheletes SHOULD be done much differently than a junior high girl who sprains an MCL at the Sahlen's soccer field. I don't care what the textbook says.....everyone is different, and a $40 million salary cap says this medical staff and coaching staff needs to be in better communication, or more skilled individuals need to be brought in to deal with the issues.

On the regular injury note, it isn't surprising the Sabres aren't loaded with them because injuries usually corrolate to Talent x Effort in an athlete. Some can play through them, but you are going to get many more nagging things when you give it your all every day.

No....when you are dealing with a $200 million franchise, and ego driven, dollar driven, lucky if they have completed high school athletes....you tell them.."Hey RY...looks like you are a little slow in getting back to your feet...what's up?"

"Uh...nothing Lindy....just focusing."

"Really.....hey Corsi? He looking a little off to you today?"

"Uh....duh....fluhhh..."

"Thanks for the input Jim.....hey doc.....come here for a sec........Ry....I want you to jump into a butterfly and spring back up 5 times....alternating posts."

"Uh....ok?"

"That's great...thanks Millsie......."ok doc, you can tell he's off, especially going to his right....probably something in the left leg."

"Yeah, he's got no punch in the left....I'll feel around and get an ultrasound up and down."

"Thanks Doc"

Now THAT.....is how it's supposed to work. The organization is run so half-assed and in denial that I wouldn't doubt that isn't what happens. But there is NO excuse for a room full of 20 guys, not to have HANDS ON each of them every day. No excuse. Yes....you DO an MRI if something is off. This isn't Medicaid we are talking about. You are paying Vanek $6,000 for every minute of ice time. Burn the freaking $300 on an ultrasound or $1,000 on a CT.

That's great that you work in rehab medicine. I am sure you are fine in what you do. But running a bunch of pro atheletes SHOULD be done much differently than a junior high girl who sprains an MCL at the Sahlen's soccer field. I don't care what the textbook says.....everyone is different, and a $40 million salary cap says this medical staff and coaching staff needs to be in better communication, or more skilled individuals need to be brought in to deal with the issues.

On the regular injury note, it isn't surprising the Sabres aren't loaded with them because injuries usually corrolate to Talent x Effort in an athlete. Some can play through them, but you are going to get many more nagging things when you give it your all every day.

Nice, junior high.

I've already shown that in the past two seasons the sabres were far far from most injury prone.

No one has been able to show anything different. Theres nothing objective to show the sabres are injury prone.

If thats how you think pro sports should be run you will never work with pro athletes. it doesnt work the way you want it to but that doesnt make it improper. You really think the players or the PA would allow daily medical checks? insane.

Quoted for truth. The medical staff can only treat so many things. A lot of injuries can be hidden. Hockey players are tough. Maybe even some of ours, a long shot I know. If the doc pokes at my knee and I suck it up and say it doesn't hurt when in fact it's killing me, there's nothing more they can do.

Archived