Too early to predict the playoffs?

zow2

I know we have the luxury of seeing things a few weeks in. Let's revisit these in April

1) Washington

2) Boston

3) Philadelphia

4) Pitt

5) Tampa Bay

6) Montreal

7) Ottawa

8) NY Rangers (hold off Carolina and ATL on the last weekend)

2nd round – Wash vs. Tampa , Philly vs. Boston

ECF – Boston vs. Wash

SCF – Wash vs. LA Kings

1) Detroit

2) Vancouver

3) Dallas

4) LA

5) Chicago

6) San Jose

7) Colorado

8) St. Louis

Just for reference, the Sabres had a 12 game stretch last season where they went 2-7-3 and they still finished with over 100 points and won the division. I'm not predicting a big turnaround; just putting perspective on how much 12 games means.

When they're the first 12 games, don't they mean more?

Is that a chart or are you just happy to see me?

When they're the first 12 games, don't they mean more?

Is that a chart or are you just happy to see me?

Does it? Don't teams that finish strong (peak at the right time) do better in the playoffs? Again, I am definitely not expecting a turn around, but if it happens (due to a trade, new coach, attitude change, players gelling, or whatever), then there is ample time to not only make the playoffs, but finish high in the standing.

As for the charts, they are made, but I like to give teams a little time to spread out before posting them up.

Does it? Don't teams that finish strong (peak at the right time) do better in the playoffs? Again, I am definitely not expecting a turn around, but if it happens (due to a trade, new coach, attitude change, players gelling, or whatever), then there is ample time to not only make the playoffs, but finish high in the standing.

As for the charts, they are made, but I like to give teams a little time to spread out before posting them up.

Ample time might be stretching it a bit.

Since the lockout, the 8th place team in the conference has averaged 92 pts. The Sabres would have to collect 84 pts out of the remaining 69 games. That would be the points equivalent of winning 42 more games.

Even with a turnaround I don't think they have the horses to get to 92 points now.

Its doable but damn......

Ample time might be stretching it a bit.

Since the lockout, the 8th place team in the conference has averaged 92 pts. The Sabres would have to collect 84 pts out of the remaining 69 games. That would be the points equivalent of winning 42 more games.

Even with a turnaround I don't think they have the horses to get to 92 points now.

Its doable but damn......

Well that means they have to go 42-27. Break that done into 10 game increments and they have to go 6-4 for the 7 sets left. Going 6-4 doesn't seem out of the question if a little tinkering is done to the lineup and a few players start to pick up their games. See it's possible to still be optimistic! :blink: :unsure:

Well that means they have to go 42-27. Break that done into 10 game increments and they have to go 6-4 for the 7 sets left. Going 6-4 doesn't seem out of the question if a little tinkering is done to the lineup and a few players start to pick up their games. See it's possible to still be optimistic! :blink: :unsure:

If Miller hadn't checked out, I might agree this is possible.

Oh, well. Put it that way and it sounds so much easier. :doh:

It's been done. Ottawa in November 2006 was close to the same spot Buffalo is in now. Not exactly as low; they had 11 points through 14 games. But close. And that team finished fourth; it didn't exactly squeak into the last playoff spot. Of course, we all know what happened after that.

Not saying it's going to happen here, but it certainly can.

Archived