FAQ: Sabres Television Broadcasts

wallybarthman

not on Time Warner... niether MSG, MSG HD, or the special SABRES HD channel had the game. only NHL Network

That, oddly enough, makes more sense.

So for that game MSG didn't produce their own broadcast - they just retransmitted the TSN/NHL Network feed. On DirecTV the same was available in SD on 638 and in HD on the NHL Network but it was the same audio and video feed. Rather than mess around with that - Time Warner must have just not blacked out the NHL Network feed. I'm guessing the replays of the game also were available on the NHL Network.

That, oddly enough, makes more sense.

So for that game MSG didn't produce their own broadcast - they just retransmitted the TSN/NHL Network feed. On DirecTV the same was available in SD on 638 and in HD on the NHL Network but it was the same audio and video feed. Rather than mess around with that - Time Warner must have just not blacked out the NHL Network feed. I'm guessing the replays of the game also were available on the NHL Network.

Well I don't think MSG has produced their own broadcast for ANY game so far.. hence why one hasn't been on TV, right? Why can't the Network just show the home team's feed (for away games)?

Well I don't think MSG has produced their own broadcast for ANY game so far.. hence why one hasn't been on TV, right? Why can't the Network just show the home team's feed (for away games)?

They can - they just have to buy the rights to do so. The Sabres have done this in the past on Western road trips - they've simply purchased the opponents feed rather than sending their own crew to do the broadcast. This year they're not doing that (which I'm grateful for). In the case of the Hockeyville game MSG/Sabres purchased the rights for an in-market telecast.

They can - they just have to buy the rights to do so. The Sabres have done this in the past on Western road trips - they've simply purchased the opponents feed rather than sending their own crew to do the broadcast. This year they're not doing that (which I'm grateful for). In the case of the Hockeyville game MSG/Sabres purchased the rights for an in-market telecast.

I see.. seems like a pretty shady move by MSG. Pretty sure just about every other team has had their games televised.

I see.. seems like a pretty shady move by MSG. Pretty sure just about every other team has had their games televised.

I'm not sure its shady - perhaps cheap, but not shady. Some teams had quite a few games televised - the Rangers, Devils, and Flyers had a few. I know the Penguins only had one game televised locally, similar to the Sabres and I think the Bruins only had one (and they own their own network!)

How much does Centre Ice usually run (on Time Warner if that matters)? I know they have special pricing before and midway through the season.

On iN DEMAND's website (the provider of NHL Center Ice for TWC) they say 4 payments of 42.95, so a pre-tax total of 171.80. After the all-star break they'll sometimes do a $99 special and usually a $49 special right at the end of the season, but the per-game price is always best at the beginning of the season.

On iN DEMAND's website (the provider of NHL Center Ice for TWC) they say 4 payments of 42.95, so a pre-tax total of 171.80. After the all-star break they'll sometimes do a $99 special and usually a $49 special right at the end of the season, but the per-game price is always best at the beginning of the season.

I know it sounds expensive but the way I look at it is...if I took my family of four to ONE game...that is what we would spend. If not more...and I have spent more for one game. This is the WHOLE season, I think it's a bargain.

And...Directv will always deal if you sweet talk them just right... :thumbsup:

I know it sounds expensive but the way I look at it is...if I took my family of four to ONE game...that is what we would spend. If not more...and I have spent more for one game. This is the WHOLE season, I think it's a bargain.

And...Directv will always deal if you sweet talk them just right... :thumbsup:

CI is definitely the best deal in town. About 180 bucks for six months of hockey? Can't beat it. And as I said above, hell all you got to do is mearly ASK DirecTV what they can do and they gave it to me at 150 bucks off....

The goal of this FAQ is to answer some commonly asked questions about Sabres broadcasts.

In-market questions (relating to those living in the Sabres home broadcast area – typically Western and Central New York).

Can I watch Sabres’ broadcasts in HD?

Maybe – it depends both on where you live and what provider you have. Here are some simple cases:

If you have DirecTV and live in the Sabres territory then you can watch every game that is available in HD in HD on channel 638-1.

Last year, Directv broadcast home games in HD (ch 638), but the away games were all SD (ch 637). There were even a few times that the away game would be announced by MSG and the Sabres as being broadcast in HD. This was always a last minute announcement, and it didn't work on Directv!! You could check the Directv guide, and it wouldn't show the game om 638, but it was on 637.

This year, MSG announced that all the games they broadcast would be available in HD.

http://sabers.NHL.com/club/news.htm?id=538182

However, when I look at my Directv guide, I see the first game only in SD. The second game (first home game) the next night is in HD. This seems like a contradiction to the announcement. I called Directv, and they say MSG isn't offering it to them in HD!!!

What's going on??

Last year, Directv broadcast home games in HD (ch 638), but the away games were all SD (ch 637). There were even a few times that the away game would be announced by MSG and the Sabres as being broadcast in HD. This was always a last minute announcement, and it didn't work on Directv!! You could check the Directv guide, and it wouldn't show the game om 638, but it was on 637.

This year, MSG announced that all the games they broadcast would be available in HD.

http://sabres.NHL.com/club/news.htm?id=538182

However, when I look at my Directv guide, I see the first game only in SD. The second game (first home game) the next night is in HD. This seems like a contradiction to the announcement. I called Directv, and they say MSG isn't offering it to them in HD!!!

What's going on??

Your spellcheck sure ruined the link...

http://sabres.NHL.com/club/news.htm?id=538182

This is incorrect. The Sabres never appeared on 637 - that's the MSG+2 Channel that is used when MSG has three games to show (forr example, the Knicks, Devils, and Islanders). The few away games were MSG Road broadcasts which weren't last minute - they were announced at the beginning of the season and the last three of them did show on DirecTV (the first three did not).

http://sabers.NHL.com/club/news.htm?id=538182

What's going on??

Someone at DirecTV hasn't gotten the memo that the Sabres road games will be in HD this year. But the NHL Center Ice schedule shows the Sabres/Sens game in HD on channel 774-1. The Sabres broadcasts are always weird on DirecTV when it comes to the guide - sometimes they've shown up at the last minute (like, minutes before the game comes on). My hunch is that before Friday @ 7:30 it'll work out.

This is incorrect. The Sabres never appeared on 637 - that's the MSG+2 Channel that is used when MSG has three games to show (forr example, the Knicks, Devils, and Islanders). The few away games were MSG Road broadcasts which weren't last minute - they were announced at the beginning of the season and the last three of them did show on DirecTV (the first three did not).

Someone at DirecTV hasn't gotten the memo that the Sabres road games will be in HD this year. But the NHL Center Ice schedule shows the Sabres/Sens game in HD on channel 774-1. The Sabres broadcasts are always weird on DirecTV when it comes to the guide - sometimes they've shown up at the last minute (like, minutes before the game comes on). My hunch is that before Friday @ 7:30 it'll work out.

Yes, I was remembering incorrectly. It was 638 for SD and 638-1 for HD. I actually called MSGNetworks today and informed them of the oversight. As of tonight, I now see the away game listed on 638-1, that wasn't the case a few hours ago. Maybe it was my call to MSGNetworks that got it corrected. But the important thing is that it seems corrected now, and I'm hopeful they'll get it right all season long now!! Go Sabres!! Take away our Buffalo Bills misery!!!

Ok so maybe someone on this can help me? I am in Iraq and will be here til about november we only get AFN here and i have tried the afn site trying to search for only hockey games but it wont work on the crappy internet they give us can anyone tell me when and what games are being shown?

Ok so maybe someone on this can help me? I am in Iraq and will be here til about november we only get AFN here and i have tried the afn site trying to search for only hockey games but it wont work on the crappy internet they give us can anyone tell me when and what games are being shown?

Check your PM.

iN DEMAND Center Ice Schedule isn't listing the Sabres for any MSG-B HD games. There is only one MSG HD game the whole month and it's the Islanders. Doesn't look like a lot has changed since last year. Probably going to be the same for me across the river. :thumbdown:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived