Point Producing Top Forward

Sabretooth

The Sabres' top need to fill is a point producing top forward, specifically a center or right wing, both positions that lack scoring personnel.

After passing up unrestricted free agent goalscorers, pissing off Kennedy, and not drafting immediate help, the Sabres silently turn to the trade market.

Regardless which creampuffs we ship the hell out, our acquisition will likely be someone who plays on a line with Vanek, who desparately needs to score goals like Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin.

Darcy Dumbwinkle works off the radar, many expect us he has something in the works, if not immediately, early in the regular season. No doubt a trade will be made.

Who, excluding no one, do you honestly expect us to acquire?

The Sabres' top need to fill is a point producing top forward, specifically a center or right wing, both positions that lack scoring personnel.

After passing up unrestricted free agent goalscorers, pissing off Kennedy, and not drafting immediate help, the Sabres silently turn to the trade market.

Regardless which creampuffs we ship the hell out, our acquisition will likely be someone who plays on a line with Vanek, who desparately needs to score goals like Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin.

Darcy Dumbwinkle works off the radar, many expect us he has something in the works, if not immediately, early in the regular season. No doubt a trade will be made.

Dustin Penner - RW, Edmonton Oilers.

That would be my guess to fill out the Vanek-Roy line. Or, more appropriately, my target.

As for line 2 with Connolly-Pomminstein, Connoly isn't going anywhere this season as there are no Centers available to replace 65 points (if he can stay healthy, yet again). I see Ennis up on the LW in place of Hecht, this should increase the offensive production, but I must confess, a center is still needed here.

And exactly how do you know this? And yet without a doubt???

Dustin Penner - RW, Edmonton Oilers.

That would be my guess to fill out the Vanek-Roy line. Or, more appropriately, my target.

He has also won a Stanley Cup, with Rob Niedermayer as a member of the 2007 Anaheim Ducks.

And exactly how do you know this? And yet without a doubt???

Excellent question.

Darcy Dumbass has no other avenues left to pursue to improve the team. Doing nothing, aka status quo, is automatic failure, and I doubt he wants to take additional scrutiny. Doing something, such as making a trade, will only benefit the team. His recent silence is a strong indication he is busy doing something that will involve a trade for someone very good.

Can't we just put a bag over Stafford's head and pretend he's someone else?

Here is a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bEs3dxjPg

Tried that with the wife, didn't work with her either :blink:

Its the thought that counts though................... B-)

There are others that can be tried with.

He has also won a Stanley Cup, with Rob Niedermayer as a member of the 2007 Anaheim Ducks.

In a trade, a recruiting tool is useless unless there is an NTC/NMC to be waived.

Darcy Dumbass has no other avenues left to pursue to improve the team. Doing nothing, aka status quo, is automatic failure, and I doubt he wants to take additional scrutiny. Doing something, such as making a trade, will only benefit the team. His recent silence is a strong indication he is busy doing something that will involve a trade for someone very good.

How is his silence an indication of a trade? He may be taking knitting classes, he could have a new puppy he has in potty training classes. He could have taken up yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays, all night poker with the boys on Fridays and Trout fishing on the weekend. There are many things he may be doing.

Is a trade a possibility? Sure, and I happen to believe he is working not on 1, but 2 moves.

I believe he is working on bringing in Ryane Clowe from the Sharks (Rivet and Grier played there ya know)

I believe he is working on bringing in Dustin Penner for Roy and Vanek.

I guess the overall point to make on this is I don't know jack s**t about what he is doing, but I too, believe a trade is coming.

I think I puked in my mouth a little.

Perhaps you're referring to a different Darcy. I'm talking about Darcy Regier. If you look at his past record you will find that silence is his MO. All the time, regardless of what he is thinking or doing.

He has said that he's expecting the kids to develop and become better players. He has all but said that that is how he plans to improve the team this year. Plus he has met or exceeded their internal budget so no more money is going out that isn't coming in. And believe me, not many teams would be willing to increase their payroll for Connolly, Roy, or even Vanek.

Remember, the Sabres are one of the cheapest teams in the league. This fiasco with Kennedy just goes to cement that image. Ever wonder why players aren't dying to play here? It's not because of the fans, but in spite of them. Management stinks. Golisano only looks at the bottom line, not at a Cup contender. I've been saying that for months.

I think it's remarkable that we've even gotten this far. The goal of this franchise is to put fannies in the seats period. Of course playoff games = more fannies so it's good to have a playoff team. But to go that extra mile and seriously contend for the Cup you have to passionately go after key players with $. That's a line the Sabres will never cross - at least not with this management team. As I have also said before, if they were serious they would trade Miller to SJ for Boyle and Pavelski - or a major move in that mold. Then they should have signed Turco for short term until their AHL backup was ready (I forget his name). That would have shocked and excited the fans all at once and everyone would be anticipating the start of the season.

So I don't blame Darcy as much as Quinn/Golisano. But to have "No Doubt" about an upcoming trade is pure fantasy.

Remember, the Sabres are one of the cheapest teams in the league. This fiasco with Kennedy just goes to cement that image. Ever wonder why players aren't dying to play here? It's not because of the fans, but in spite of them. Management stinks. Golisano only looks at the bottom line, not at a Cup contender. I've been saying that for months.

I think it's remarkable that we've even gotten this far. The goal of this franchise is to put fannies in the seats period. Of course playoff games = more fannies so it's good to have a playoff team. But to go that extra mile and seriously contend for the Cup you have to passionately go after key players with $. That's a line the Sabres will never cross - at least not with this management team. As I have also said before, if they were serious they would trade Miller to SJ for Boyle and Pavelski - or a major move in that mold. Then they should have signed Turco for short term until their AHL backup was ready (I forget his name). That would have shocked and excited the fans all at once and everyone would be anticipating the start of the season.

So I don't blame Darcy as much as Quinn/Golisano. But to have "No Doubt" about an upcoming trade is pure fantasy.

The first bolded part is not true. The Sabres have been at or near the cap since the lockout, and there are plenty of teams with much lower payrolls.

The 2nd bolded part is nonsense.

The first bolded part is not true. The Sabres have been at or near the cap since the lockout, and there are plenty of teams with much lower payrolls.

I'm talking perception as much as dollars and cents. I've heard national pundits refer to the Sabres as cheap before the Kennedy fiasco - and teams that are serious about the Cup don't put internal limits on their finances.

As for Miller, don't be like Darcy and fall in love with your players. Miller is at his height right now, which is why we should move him for substantial help. If last year's playoffs proved anything, it was that you don't need an All-Star goalie to win the Cup.

I'm talking perception as much as dollars and cents. I've heard national pundits refer to the Sabres as cheap before the Kennedy fiasco - and teams that are serious about the Cup don't put internal limits on their finances.

As for Miller, don't be like Darcy and fall in love with your players. Miller is at his height right now, which is why we should move him for substantial help. If last year's playoffs proved anything, it was that you don't need an All-Star goalie to win the Cup.

Was NJ serious about winning the Cup last year? How about Washington? Both had lower payrolls than the Sabres.

I don't disagree that the Sabres have a lousy image with players around the league or that the Kennedy situation added to it.

Regarding the proposed trade of Miller -- a team doesn't get better by trading its best player. I also don't think SJ would make the trade you proposed either. Finally, while you may not need an all-star goalie to win the Cup, it surely helps (witness 3 of the prior 4 cup winners), and in any case it doesn't mean that the Sabres should unload theirs for a couple of good-but-not-great players.

Was NJ serious about winning the Cup last year? How about Washington? Both had lower payrolls than the Sabres.

I don't disagree that the Sabres have a lousy image with players around the league or that the Kennedy situation added to it.

Regarding the proposed trade of Miller -- a team doesn't get better by trading its best player. I also don't think SJ would make the trade you proposed either. Finally, while you may not need an all-star goalie to win the Cup, it surely helps (witness 3 of the prior 4 cup winners), and in any case it doesn't mean that the Sabres should unload theirs for a couple of good-but-not-great players.

I think it's funny that you used two teams that had first round exits as your example.

Define "near." If a cap is 100 million and you spend 90, is that near? I think somewhere between your rhetoric and Bull's is the truth.

Remember, the Sabres are one of the cheapest teams in the league.

The Sabres have been at or near the cap since the lockout

Neither is true.

They were very near the cap in 2006-07 and last year (not sure about 2005-06). They were $5-6 million short in 2007-08 and 2008-09 (though, they would have been nearly $2 million close in 2007-08 had Teppo not been replaced last minute by Pratt.)

there are plenty of teams with much lower payrolls.

Now, that is true! Teams like Columbus, Florida, Nashville and Phoenix have been considerably lower during many of those seasons. Even in their lowest years, the Sabres have had an $8 million higher cap hit than some teams in the league.

Archived