Cap Concerns in Philadelphia

OTTOnME

The trade between Nashville and Philadelphia could be good news for Sabres fans.

If the Flyers are able to sign Dan Hamhuis, they will have serious cap concerns. A significant player or two will have to be moved. Here are the questions pertinent to the folks on this site:

Which Flyers are most likely to be moved?

What would Darcy Regier have to give up to pick up one of the Flyers most likely to be moved?

May we see Scott Hartnell in a Sabres jersey?

As I said in the other thread, Carter would be most likely, IMO. Hartnell is only a 4.2 cap player signed through 2012-2013 and we've seen what he can do in the playoffs.

As for what we have to give up for Carter? I won't even reply to that. What SGM would Philly want from us? Connolly Stafford and a prospect maybe.

As for what we have to give up for Carter? I won't even reply to that. What SGM would Philly want from us? Connolly Stafford and a prospect maybe.

I know I undervalue our guys, but that package sucks. First of all, is Philly actually losing any salary by picking up said players? Secondly, I have a sneaking suspicion a goalie might have to be in the deal. I'm guessing Ennis, Enroth + might do it.

I know I undervalue our guys, but that package sucks. First of all, is Philly actually losing any salary by picking up said players? Secondly, I have a sneaking suspicion a goalie might have to be in the deal. I'm guessing Ennis, Enroth + might do it.

You're right, kinda my point, 2 SGM's = 1 Carter.

I'm thinking Philly picks up Turco.

I think they sign Hammy, let Coburn go and continue going cheap at #5 & #6 defensemen and goalie. That way I think they don't have to unload Carter -- which I highly doubt they will.

Yeah, Philly, NYR, Chicago, Montreal and few others seem much more adept at paying players and managing their cap while the Sabres overpay mediocrity and crapping themselves when they get within 2 mil of th cap.

Time to unload the dead weight, pay some real players and compete with the big boys.

Yeah, Philly, NYR, Chicago, Montreal and few others seem much more adept at paying players and managing their cap while the Sabres overpay mediocrity and crapping themselves when they get within 2 mil of th cap.

Time to unload the dead weight, pay some real players and compete with the big boys.

That 1st round washout has embittered you. DR might yet surprise us -- give him another 2-3 weeks before you despair of this team.

Also, I can't agree with including the Rangers on the list of teams that are adept at cap management.

For that matter, Chicago won their Cup not through shrewd cap management but despite cap mismanagement. They overpaid Huet and Soupy and they screwed up their offer sheet deliveries last summer. These blunders are likely to result in unnecessarily having to unload 2 good players this summer.

Montreal caught lightning in a bottle this spring (after, like Philly, coming very close to missing the playoffs) and could easily prove out to be a flash in the pan -- especially after potentially unloading the wrong goalie.

Let's see how the next few weeks play out, especially this week.

Also, I can't agree with including the Rangers on the list of teams that are adept at cap management.

For that matter, Chicago won their Cup not through shrewd cap management but despite cap mismanagement. They overpaid Huet and Soupy and they screwed up their offer sheet deliveries last summer. These blunders are likely to result in unnecessarily having to unload 2 good players this summer.

I wanted to include the Rangers, they way overpaid for nearly every big name. They gave it a shot. I don't care about financial responsibility if you can win a cup like Chicago. So what they might lose a piece or two, they will aquire assets in place of those players and restock for the future.

I think you invest heavily in players you believe in, myers may be the only guy on the roster that qualifies as such, and find inexpensive pieces to fill out your 3rd & 4th lines.

I wanted to include the Rangers, they way overpaid for nearly every big name. They gave it a shot. I don't care about financial responsibility if you can win a cup like Chicago. So what they might lose a piece or two, they will aquire assets in place of those players and restock for the future.

I think you invest heavily in players you believe in, myers may be the only guy on the roster that qualifies as such, and find inexpensive pieces to fill out your 3rd & 4th lines.

I'll take a Kane, a Toews and a Sharp for 9 million Alex.

These four teams are the exact opposite of what you say they are. None of them have a good handle on the cap, which is why Philly is going to have to unload players in order to afford Hamhuis, the Rangers have no cap space left to pick up a decent player, Chicago is going to have to unload Byfugien, Sharp, and/or Versteeg, and Montreal is up against the wall.

These teams are terrible at working with the cap. But I will say this: At least in the case of Philly and Chicago, they know how to pick themselves up from the conference cellar and make themselves into a contender in a matter of three years. Something Golisano needs to learn how to do - if he truly cares about this team.

These four teams are the exact opposite of what you say they are. None of them have a good handle on the cap, which is why Philly is going to have to unload players in order to afford Hamhuis, the Rangers have no cap space left to pick up a decent player, Chicago is going to have to unload Byfugien, Sharp, and/or Versteeg, and Montreal is up against the wall.

These teams are terrible at working with the cap. But I will say this: At least in the case of Philly and Chicago, they know how to pick themselves up from the conference cellar and make themselves into a contender in a matter of three years. Something Golisano needs to learn how to do - if he truly cares about this team.

True, but lets look at how they did it

Philly, hit lightening in a Bottle this year and got hot (and lucky) at the right time and did something no one thought was possible. This is after they went cheap on the goalie position again, signed some more veterans, and blew big money on some FA's. They were lucky to make the playoffs, fortunatly for them, the luck kept running.

Chicago had to spend many years in the basement, collecting a bunch of top 5-10 picks (just like Pittsburgh) over the decade to get the players they currently have. Then, just like philly, they blew huge amounts on some FA's that underperformed.

There is no right or wrong way to build a team. it can be done many ways, but the main key is that you either have to be willing to make some deals and sign some players, OR, suck really bad for a few years to collect some top 5 draft picks to build around

Philly is a team that has a G.M. that is'nt afraid to make moves to improve his team. If you have a G.M. who is a bit of a gambler and goes after it instead of sitting on his hands things will happen. I guess when you have an owner who stays involved like they do in philly you can't be content with the status quo like Regier. It's pretty obvious how Tallon did it in Chicago, I don't think the fans of Buffalo want to go that route. At or near the bottom 4 or 5 years in a row to stock pile picks. Then again Tallon was'nt afraid to make some moves too.

If the Flyers are able to sign Dan Hamhuis, they will have serious cap concerns.

Really? Maybe I'm missing something, but according to NHL numbers.com, the Flyers have 10 million to sign hamhuis, coburn, 2 fourth liners and a backup goalie. Sounds plausible.

Really? Maybe I'm missing something, but according to NHL numbers.com, the Flyers have 10 million to sign hamhuis, coburn, 2 fourth liners and a backup goalie. Sounds plausible.

Their only goalie under contract is Boucher, so they need a starter, not a backup. Also add a 7th defenseman to that list. Hamhuis and Coburn combined will be AT LEAST 6 million, and that's a very conservative figure. Those numbers start to point towards going cheap in net again unless they unload someone else, with the prime candidates being up front.

Their only goalie under contract is Boucher, so they need a starter, not a backup. Also add a 7th defenseman to that list. Hamhuis and Coburn combined will be AT LEAST 6 million, and that's a very conservative figure. Those numbers start to point towards going cheap in net again unless they unload someone else, with the prime candidates being up front.

What about Timmonen? Contract prevent him from being moved? With Pronger, Hamhuis and Coburn, do they really need Kimo?

Archived