1. 1. Pick your # 1

• Coaching
    • Top Line Producing
    • Goaltending
    • Special Teams
    • Defence
    • Roll Players
    • Veteran leadership

I think the most important factor in winning the Cup, is the roll players stepping up their game. I see a lot of quality teams lose because their top line is gripping their sticks a little too tight. Followed by Veteran leadership, with cup winning experience. Ala Mark Recchi.

I think the most important factor in winning the Cup, is the roll players stepping up their game. I see a lot of quality teams lose because their top line is gripping their sticks a little too tight. Followed by Veteran leadership, with cup winning experience. Ala Mark Recchi.

The Sabres roll players stepped up and the top 6 didn't. There is no right answer. Look at the teams likely to advance to the final 4. They are all different.

Didn't you hear? Darcy has it all figured out. You just have to finish in the league's top 8 in the regular season and that puts you in a pool of teams that can win the Cup. After that, I guess it's just how the hockey gods smile, because, ya know, anyone can win it and all the teams are the same. Parity.

Reminds me of my dad. His lifelong ambition was to break 100 in golf. He was a hacker. But he had a formula. Went something like "get a four on every par 3 and a six on every other hole." He came close a few times. He got to the 18th tee once and needed a birdie to break 100. He bemoaned the fact that his formula didn't account for birdies. You had to be there.

The formula wasn't the key to breaking 100 any more than finishing in the top 8 is the key to winning a Cup. Darcy is a tool. He and Lindy are not exactly aging like fine wine.

every single element you've listed needs to come together -- and when one falls off a bit, another needs to be ratcheted up without fail (e.g., if your rock of a goalie has a bad night, your skaters need to be able to pot 5 -- if your power play goes to sh*t, then your PK needs to be lights out).

and, as 2005-2006 showed us like nothing else, you need to be able to bottle lightning (no, not lecavelier and st. louis) and then keep it there securely until your captain is prompted to go over and hoist that shiny silver thing.

Where is the "yes" choice?

All of your players need to step up, not back. It won't be everyone, every game, but when your role players step up, your top line, goaltending, defense, etc., still need to be solid. Then, the next game it will be the goaltender who stands on his head, but everyone else still needs to be solid. Winning in the playoffs is about doing whatever it takes to keep the other team from getting good scoring chances, including fighting for the loose puck in your zone, going down to block shots, etc., and then cashing in when the opportunities present themselves. It's about revealing real weaknesses more than about one strength shining through. An offensive team may or may have players that can play defense when they tighten up. If they can, they win; if they can't, they lose. Defensive teams may or may not have forwards who go that extra mile to create chances and cash in when they do. If they can, they win; if they can't, they lose. Boston did a better job of having their forwards step it up. They worked harder at it, so they won.

There is no one right answer. You need the right mix of player skills, with the right attitude (which usually reflects leadership), and good coaching.

Maybe you have this guy in mind?

I really needed that. The farther away we get from this season, the more I realize just how disappointing it was, and the madder I get.

What's the key to winning a cup? Don't play for the Sabres.

Archived