Florida - Buffalo trade proposal

static70

Don't rule out the Panthers looking at moving Horton for something resonable, he has been on shaky terms with Florida and comes up alot in Trade talk. He did just get into a big fight with oe of the assisstant coaches near the end of the season.......

I hope the Sabres could make a move including Roy, Stafford and/or Connolly to get him. Make a deal to swap "problem players".

The Sabres could bring in anotehr "local" boy to the lineup (from Welland Ontario, only a 30 minute drive from the arena and same place as Ellis, and Paille). But I have less than 0 faith that Darcy would ever make a move to get him cause it would "cost too much" and "Roy, Connolly, Stafford, etc. had an injury that hampered them, and they are still young with alot of upside, and there just wasn't any offers that were economical/to his liking, and <insert Darcy excuse here>"

I wouldn't mind seeing another Welland Boy in the Sabres lineup, but I doubt the Wild would be willing to trade Clutterbuck away, both him and Kaleta could be the "Bash brothers".

Couple of things to keep in mind about Horton and Weiss. While I like Horton, if you look at his game log over the last couple of years he is just as inconsistent if not more than the Sabres all of you are talking about trading. His lack of consistency has gotten him quite a bit of criticism over the years. Many will tell you he hasn't played up to his potential based on his rookie year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/stats?playerId=2362

As far as Weiss, until this year he has only scored 20 goals ONCE. And it was exactly 20 goals, not 20+. This year was his 7th full year and the only reason he scored 28 was because he became the go-to guy since Booth was out. As bad as Stafford is, he has still averaged more GPG over his career than Weiss. If he came to BFLO and had to play with 5-6 guys who have the ability to score 20+ goals he wouldn't get the opportunities he did this year with FL and would probably be back to a 15 goal scorer. Unlike Horton, he doesn't have much left to offer since he can't hit.

In theory it all sounds good to go get different players to replace what we've got, but in reality you're just getting the same thing. IMO we need a couple of players with size who aren't here to score. We have enough potential, we need players to stick up for the guys who are getting pushed around. We need more than just a Kaleta, we need somebody who is willing to fight anybody at any time AND do a good job of doing it. Not saying we need to be a goon team, just one or two players who can push the other players around without getting hurt every other game (ie Kaleta).

Outside of Weiss, they have no real playmaking Center. Connolly would be a nice addition for them.

As for Dallas, I believe they absolutely would consider Pomminstein.

Of Course, this will leave Buffalo exposed at RW.

I really see Buffalo only moving Connolly, Stafford, and Butler/Sekera as far as active roster goes. But, I wouldn't put it past them to put Hecht into a trade deal if necessary.

I kept trying to tell people over and over again, Buffalo is not going after a PPQB in the off season.

In case no one had a chance to watch any or alot of Pirates games, I think fans will be more than pleasantly surprised by Gragnani. Although Many people figure Weber is more NHL ready and Gragnani is not, they are sadly mistaken. I had the opportunity to catch almost 50 games this season of the Pirates, Gragnani by far will push the roster, Weber will be battling with Sekera/Butler.

So, in all reality, Buffalo is only looking at a RWer (and I believe they give Stafford another run at it this upcoming season), Center (Connolly is gone, Roy's contract is just to good for Buffalo to move) and an additional Depth Center for the 3rd line (Matt Cullin is my choice but the Sabres are going to address this in the off season).

Ennis is a natural at LW, Lindy even stated as such in one of the regular season post game interviews when asked why they moved him from Center to LW. So, you have Vanek, Hecht, Ennis and Kennedy as LWers, something has to give here, alot of skill, with no size.

Center is a real issue.

Roy, ?, ?, Gaustad. The way I see it, if Connolly goes we are missing 2 real centers. Matt Cullen is my choice for line 3 centerin Kennedy and Grier (Gerbe if he is still here)

Line 2 is the hole I am attempting to fill if I'm Buffalo.

With this being said, If a deal for Richards could be done, Roy may very well have to be the one moved.

Right Wing is a bloody mess at this point for line 1. Stafford is not the answer, that is obvious, Gerbe is small but skilled. I see Grier back with Kennedy on LW on line 3. Line 4 may have Gerbe with Goose. Pomminstein is line 2. That still leaves that line 1 big question mark. If Stafford is to be moved, the team currently most interested is Edmonton. Penner is a natural choice for the swap.

I would still prefer Horton though.

Not only is Gragnani not NHL ready, he never will be and Penner is a stiff. There is no way anyone wants to pay him the remainder of his contract. Vanek needs a winger with speed and the ability to create, not get in his way in front of the net.

No one is taking Hecht and his contract.

Horton would be a nice pick up but Florida will want Roy not Connolly.

Not only is Gragnani not NHL ready, he never will be and Penner is a stiff. There is no way anyone wants to pay him the remainder of his contract. Vanek needs a winger with speed and the ability to create, not get in his way in front of the net.

No one is taking Hecht and his contract.

Horton would be a nice pick up but Florida will want Roy not Connolly.

I respectfully disagree on a few points here.

Gragnani will be on the blue line next season, take it to the bank. He has a nose for the net and the coaching staff both in Portland and Buffalo know it.

Hecht is very movable. More so then you are aware in any event. He is considered in the top tier of penalty killers just behind Grier but also has much more upside on Offensive contributions. He!!, Hockey Night in Canada's assesment one night this season were praising him as a top tier 3rd line LW, his contract is borderline, you have to give to get, Hecht is very fair value for the roles he is asked to play.

Agreed that Vanek needs a winger with speed, but if Roy stays and a big bodied Center is not brought in, they don't need speed, they need a big body that can score and contribute, Penner is by far the bigger of the 2 between him and Horton, but Horton shows more tenacity in the corners. Like I said, I prefer Horton and Florida isn't getting Roy for him, thats an over pay on Buffalo's part and they already know it.

Gragnani will be on the blue line next season, take it to the bank. He has a nose for the net and the coaching staff both in Portland and Buffalo know it.

Hecht is very movable. More so then you are aware in any event. He is considered in the top tier of penalty killers just behind Grier but also has much more upside on Offensive contributions. He!!, Hockey Night in Canada's assesment one night this season were praising him as a top tier 3rd line LW, his contract is borderline, you have to give to get, Hecht is very fair value for the roles he is asked to play.

Agreed that Vanek needs a winger with speed, but if Roy stays and a big bodied Center is not brought in, they don't need speed, they need a big body that can score and contribute, Penner is by far the bigger of the 2 between him and Horton, but Horton shows more tenacity in the corners. Like I said, I prefer Horton and Florida isn't getting Roy for him, thats an over pay on Buffalo's part and they already know it.

Time will prove me right on Gragnani. Believe me, the coaching staff in Buffalo knows what it doesn't have in Gragnani.

You are right, Hecht is a top tier 3rd line LW. Unfortunately he is paid like a top 6 forward. He isn't going anywhere.

Seems John Vogel agrees with you. I still hear different, but have been wrong before.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/04/1040429/is-price-right-for-lydman-tallinder.html

Seems John Vogel agrees with you. I still hear different, but have been wrong before.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/04/1040429/is-price-right-for-lydman-tallinder.html

Well Tom, the only reason I look at Gragnani the way I do is I've had the chance to go and see the Pirates play many games this season. My job takes me to Portland quite often and being a hockey fanatic, a Sabres fanatic, I always try to catch a game while I am there.

I made the Gragnani assessment based on what I actually witnessed, not on others determination. You should see him, he is that good. Will this transition to the NHL? I hope so, because its abundantly clear the organization has that kind of confidence in him.

Just to let you know, he is very responsible in his own end with the puck and his passes are on the tape atleast 97% of the time or better. I don't know the actual number, but every game I went too, this kid impressed me. He positions himself very well and likes to pick inside the post or up high on his shots. He rarely missed the net which was a huge plus for the puck goblers in front of the net at the games I witnessed.

Well Tom, the only reason I look at Gragnani the way I do is I've had the chance to go and see the Pirates play many games this season. My job takes me to Portland quite often and being a hockey fanatic, a Sabres fanatic, I always try to catch a game while I am there.

I made the Gragnani assessment based on what I actually witnessed, not on others determination. You should see him, he is that good. Will this transition to the NHL? I hope so, because its abundantly clear the organization has that kind of confidence in him.

Just to let you know, he is very responsible in his own end with the puck and his passes are on the tape atleast 97% of the time or better. I don't know the actual number, but every game I went too, this kid impressed me. He positions himself very well and likes to pick inside the post or up high on his shots. He rarely missed the net which was a huge plus for the puck goblers in front of the net at the games I witnessed.

Maybe I'm wrong on Gragnani. I guess only time will tell. With the struggles that Butler and Sekera had this past season and knowing that Weber is probably making the team this year, I can't believe that they will go with Butler, Sekera, Weber & Gragnani as part of their top 7 blueliners. I would think that if Gragnani is in their plans for next season, that either Butler or Sekera will be moved.

Maybe I'm wrong on Gragnani. I guess only time will tell. With the struggles that Butler and Sekera had this past season and knowing that Weber is probably making the team this year, I can't believe that they will go with Butler, Sekera, Weber & Gragnani as part of their top 7 blueliners. I would think that if Gragnani is in their plans for next season, that either Butler or Sekera will be moved.

That would be my guess as well.

I am looking at Sekera as the most likely suspect, only because teams will covet him for his speed as a D man. I could be wrong though, and I guess it depends on a teams needs.

I would hope Darcy has enough common sense to send one of them ("I'd prefer Butler, since Weber is in the pipeline) to be packaged in a deal for a Center or RWer worth a dang.

I'm with you though, only time will tell, if Darcy makes moves, should be an interesting off season and roster make up for next season.

That would be my guess as well.

I am looking at Sekera as the most likely suspect, only because teams will covet him for his speed as a D man. I could be wrong though, and I guess it depends on a teams needs.

I would hope Darcy has enough common sense to send one of them ("I'd prefer Butler, since Weber is in the pipeline) to be packaged in a deal for a Center or RWer worth a dang.

I'm with you though, only time will tell, if Darcy makes moves, should be an interesting off season and roster make up for next season.

With all due respect to you and Vogl, I'll stick tp my belief that Gragnani is way down the prospect list but time will tell. If he is any good on the power play maybe they would use him in the 7th defenseman/ 12th forward role.

With all due respect to you and Vogl, I'll stick tp my belief that Gragnani is way down the prospect list but time will tell. If he is any good on the power play maybe they would use him in the 7th defenseman/ 12th forward role.

I heard Darcy's interview with Schopp and the Bulldog before the trade deadline and he said that there were two defensemen in Portland making a case to move up: Weber being the defensive defenseman and Gragnani being the more offensive one.

I heard Darcy's interview with Schopp and the Bulldog before the trade deadline and he said that there were two defensemen in Portland making a case to move up: Weber being the defensive defenseman and Gragnani being the more offensive one.

That interview was all about his defending his unwillingness to make big moves.

And two RFA defensemen ready to make the step up doesn't necessarily mean they make that step here.

Archived