Florida - Buffalo trade proposal

static70

Reasonable Trade Proposal?

I don't know, but Florida is looking for a shake up, let's investigate to see what we can do between these 2 teams.

Here is my trade proposal, I would like feed back, editing, thoughts, any input that might enhance the deal, say its a no deal with reasons why or some alternatives to this deal. I based my proposal on Buf's needs in combination with possible players Florida may be looking to move due to various reasons.

To Buffalo

Stephen Weiss

Nathan Horton

3rd rd 2010

To Florida

Drew Stafford

Tim Connolly

Butler/Sekera/1st rd 2010 (any 1 of the 3)

Edits, Adjustments or just a whole new combination possibility?

Well, looking at it from Florida's standpoint, Weiss and Horton are signed for 3 more seasons ... even if they LOVE Connolly and Stafford, both are signed only for this coming season ... that has to be a factor. I believe Stafford will still be restricted but Connolly will be a UFA. I dont know that Butler or Sekera or even a relatively late 1st rounder is enough juice.

From the Sabres standpoint, those are two top-5 picks who in a combined 13 seasons have never scored more than 62 points. I would argue they are underachieving almost as much as Stafford and Connolly ... Weiss is 5-11, 191, so they would not be getting any bigger up the middle, which is a huge need.

Just seems like trading for the sake of trading. In the case of Connolly, I understand that, he probably needs to go, the guy just seems miserable in addition to his ugly finish to the season. But Stafford may still have some value around the league with his RFA status and while they struggled Butler and/or Sekera are still very young ... think Brian Campbell 2 years before the lockout. I am cool with trading them, but I'd want to feel like we got better ... this deal feels like we just got different ... but not that much different ....

Reasonable Trade Proposal?

I don't know, but Florida is looking for a shake up, let's investigate to see what we can do between these 2 teams.

Here is my trade proposal, I would like feed back, editing, thoughts, any input that might enhance the deal, say its a no deal with reasons why or some alternatives to this deal. I based my proposal on Buf's needs in combination with possible players Florida may be looking to move due to various reasons.

To Buffalo

Stephen Weiss

Nathan Horton

3rd rd 2010

To Florida

Drew Stafford

Tim Connolly

Butler/Sekera/1st rd 2010 (any 1 of the 3)

Edits, Adjustments or just a whole new combination possibility?

If this is the starting offer I would think the Florida GM would immediately discontinue talks. It's a pretty insulting trade offer. I like the idea of trading for Horton. I like is $4 mill price tag with for three more years. One of the down sides to this kid is that he isn't as physical as you like for a player that size. Taking that into consideration any offer probably needs to start with Ennis and a 1st rounder. I could see Florida wanting to add one of the young defenseman as well. Overall I would doubt a trade for Horton could be worked out with Derrick Roy being involved. Same price tag and Florida could sell his offensive numbers as a upgrade. If Roy is involved then the only player I want from Florida is Booth.

After all of that, here is my trade offer.

To Florida

Roy, Stafford and Butler

To Buffalo

Booth, Gregory Campbell and a pick (conditional 3rd or 4th)

Any forward we get should have to go through the Lindy test. Put them in front of the net, even with the faceoff dots, and let Myers shoot between 75 to 100 slapshots at them from the blue line. If they are uninjured after that they can join the team.

If this is the starting offer I would think the Florida GM would immediately discontinue talks. It's a pretty insulting trade offer. I like the idea of trading for Horton. I like is $4 mill price tag with for three more years. One of the down sides to this kid is that he isn't as physical as you like for a player that size. Taking that into consideration any offer probably needs to start with Ennis and a 1st rounder. I could see Florida wanting to add one of the young defenseman as well. Overall I would doubt a trade for Horton could be worked out with Derrick Roy being involved. Same price tag and Florida could sell his offensive numbers as a upgrade. If Roy is involved then the only player I want from Florida is Booth.

To Florida

Roy, Stafford and Butler

To Buffalo

My top 3 "get off my team" list this off-season is, Stafford, Connolly and Roy.

Getting rid of two out of three ain't bad.

To Florida

Roy, Stafford and Butler

To Buffalo

I would love to get Booth or Horton. Roy has got to be our most marketable bait right now. After seeing Connolly's locker room cleanout interview, I'd really like to get rid of him.

Florida would love young guys like Butler or Sekera, or picks. I could see them jumping at Roy.

My top 3 "get off my team" list this off-season is, Stafford, Connolly and Roy.

Getting rid of two out of three ain't bad.

I agree. Since it is unrealistic to expect all three to be traded, I would be very happy if Stafford, and Connolly or Roy were sent packing. Two years of missing the playoffs followed by a disappointing short playoff season will hopefully be enough to finally convince Regier that the team he has built is just not working out.

I like it DeLuca,

Also, I was looking at Dustin Penner (Ht: 6' 4" Wt: 245 Age: 27) of the Oilers as a possible big bodied RWer for Vanek and (? at center). NHLNumbers has him at just over 4 mil a season.

Any thoughts on a possible deal there with Edmonton?

Horton is a lot tougher than you think. I'd love to get Horton, the Panthers seem pretty intent on shaking things up during the off-season. However, Booth is a BIG risk. He still hasn't had enough time to show he has recovered, and just like Connolly, is probably one major concussion away from ending his career. Now if there was some way they could also get Tarnasky..............

Well, looking at it from Florida's standpoint, Weiss and Horton are signed for 3 more seasons ... even if they LOVE Connolly and Stafford, both are signed only for this coming season ... that has to be a factor. I believe Stafford will still be restricted but Connolly will be a UFA. I dont know that Butler or Sekera or even a relatively late 1st rounder is enough juice.

From the Sabres standpoint, those are two top-5 picks who in a combined 13 seasons have never scored more than 62 points. I would argue they are underachieving almost as much as Stafford and Connolly ... Weiss is 5-11, 191, so they would not be getting any bigger up the middle, which is a huge need.

Just seems like trading for the sake of trading. In the case of Connolly, I understand that, he probably needs to go, the guy just seems miserable in addition to his ugly finish to the season. But Stafford may still have some value around the league with his RFA status and while they struggled Butler and/or Sekera are still very young ... think Brian Campbell 2 years before the lockout. I am cool with trading them, but I'd want to feel like we got better ... this deal feels like we just got different ... but not that much different ....

Completely understand BTP.

I was attempting to address needs, give a decent return for those needs without making look like a homer trade situation.

Weiss is questionable, but Horton would be a gift for Vanek and Roy on the RW IMHO.

If not Horton, I am looking at Dustin Penner from the Oilers, he is big, can put the puck in the net, and the Oilers like Stafford.

Stafford is done here, he has 0 chemistry with any line on this team and is losing value each season he continues here IMO.

On Penner: if for no other reason than to save face, I don't see that trade happening. Edmonton signed Penner to an offer sheet in what many considered a knee-jerk reaction after the Sabres matched their offer sheet for Vanek. Penner was considered an overpaid bust (maybe a little harsh) until this season, where he actually outperformed Vanek. I know that Edmonton wants to rebuild, but I'd imagine that the price for a young, big-boddied winger, who is finally playing the way that they hoped, would be high. Who knows, maybe they feel his season was an anomaly and would be looking to move him while his value is high. He did start hot with 18G/18A/36P in his first 34 games (1.125PPG) and finish cold with just 14G/13A/27P in his last 48 (0.54PPG). Still, I doubt it.

I like it DeLuca,

Also, I was looking at Dustin Penner (Ht: 6' 4" Wt: 245 Age: 27) of the Oilers as a possible big bodied RWer for Vanek and (? at center). NHLNumbers has him at just over 4 mil a season.

Any thoughts on a possible deal there with Edmonton?

Penner? Looking at his stat line of 32 goals, 63 points and a plus 6 he looks like a steal at $4.25 mil for two years. From the outside in so would Tim Connolly. I haven't seen a ton of Penner so I would have to rely on others who have to determine if he is on a upswing or if he piled up some good numbers on a bad team. I also want to be careful on saving cap space. There are a few UFA's out there I want to take a run at. Frolov from the Kings, Holmstrom from the Red Wings and Plekanec from Montreal.

Penner? Looking at his stat line of 32 goals, 63 points and a plus 6 he looks like a steal at $4.25 mil two three years. From the outside in so would Tim Connolly. I haven't seen a ton of Penner so I would have to rely on others who have to determine if he is on a upswing or if he piled up some good numbers on a bad team. I also want to be careful on saving cap space. There are a few UFA's out there I want to take a run at. Frolov from the Kings, Holmstrom from the Red Wings and Plekanec from Montreal.

I second these two. Frolov would be a boost on the wing, and Plekanec would be a great center between Vanek and Ennis.

Penner? Looking at his stat line of 32 goals, 63 points and a plus 6 he looks like a steal at $4.25 mil for two years. From the outside in so would Tim Connolly. I haven't seen a ton of Penner so I would have to rely on others who have to determine if he is on a upswing or if he piled up some good numbers on a bad team. I also want to be careful on saving cap space. There are a few UFA's out there I want to take a run at. Frolov from the Kings, Holmstrom from the Red Wings and Plekanec from Montreal.

Just out of curiousity, why do you only look at one year's numbers, especially when you're talking about his performance over a two year period (the time left on the deal)?

With regards to these players:

Frolov - Most likely to test the FA market, however, he is a true talent LWer, Buffalo does not need LWers. He won't even be considered.

Holmstrom - Has already stated his desire to stay with Detroit and will work with them to make that happen.

Plekanec - Both his agent and the Habs organization have stated they will work out a deal in the off season. In other words, he is not going anywhere.

Just out of curiousity, why do you only look at one year's numbers, especially when you're talking about his performance over a two year period (the time left on the deal)?

He doubled his output from the year before. Career high in goals and assists. I need to know if it was a result of maturity or a Torres like spike in his career stats. If it is a case of things simply going right this year I would be inclined to back away from the idea. We are talking over $8.5 mil over those two years. I what to be reasonably confident I am spending that on a 30 goal scorer not 20 goal scorer.

Thanks for the input.

I have had a chance to see him play. He had subpar linemates. Can put up much better numbers with the right linemates.

He is a bruiser, not afraid of the corners, has good (not great) speed but uses his body to gain leverage in battles for the puck.

His wrist and snap shots are snipers, pure and simple. He would be an excellent linemate for Roy and Vanek in my opinion.

Thanks for the input.

I have had a chance to see him play. He had subpar linemates. Can put up much better numbers with the right linemates.

He is a bruiser, not afraid of the corners, has good (not great) speed but uses his body to gain leverage in battles for the puck.

His wrist and snap shots are snipers, pure and simple. He would be an excellent linemate for Roy and Vanek in my opinion.

How about a #1 line of Vanek, Booth and Penner?

With regards to these players:

Frolov - Most likely to test the FA market, however, he is a true talent LWer, Buffalo does not need LWers. He won't even be considered.

Holmstrom - Has already stated his desire to stay with Detroit and will work with them to make that happen.

Plekanec - Both his agent and the Habs organization have stated they will work out a deal in the off season. In other words, he is not going anywhere.

I have no doubt that Plekanec would like to stay in Montreal and Montreal would like him there, as well. But the postseason changes everything - he's young, and having a pretty good run, I'd say. His value is going to be high. If some other team that's not a cellar-dwellar comes knocking with a better offer, there's a good chance he'll take it. And I think Montreal is going to run into a money problem with Halak, b/c he's an RFA, and I'd be willing to bet that someone drops an Edmonton-style offer sheet at his doorstep after what he's done so far...and then the Habs are going to have some decisions to make over the future of their team.

I kind of like the original trade for Horton. I like Horton better than Weiss. Horton seems to be bigger, tougher, nastier, and a more consistent 20 goal scorer and can really help out on the right side as a wing on the top line with Roy and Vanek. I think he also has the ability to take the occasional faceoff and can win a few draws so long as he's not relied upon to play center. I think a deal of Stafford, Sekera/Butler and a 2nd/3rd round pick for Horton and a 4th round pick could actually work. Florida is looking to shake things up and I think they'd be willing to part with Horton. Given Booth's two recent concussions, he's just another Tim Connolly to me, so I'm not sure I'm interested in him even though he's a really good player.

I think it's obvious everyone here wants Connolly gone. I still can't believe it was his 3 year deal for $2.9 million cap hit that prevented the Sabres from keeping J.P. Dumont. Remember Dumont was awarded $2.9 million by the arbitrator and the Sabres walked away from it rather spending the same $2.9 million on Tim Connolly who would play all of 2 games in the 2006-2007 season and play 1/3 of the games on his three year deal. Even though he had a decent season this year, that playoff was just horrible. I remember on July 1, 2007, many on this board were ecstatic to see Daniel Briere leave this franchise saying that Tim Connolly would be Briere's replacement and provide better defense than Briere. Is it finally fair to say that the Sabres were not better off letting Briere go and hoping that Tim Connolly would be his replacement?

Anyway, all that aside, I'd use Tim Connolly as trade bait to go after a PP QB defenseman type. I do not want a Sheldon Souray because he's expensive and almost always injured anyway. I think a Connolly for John Michael Liles deal might work as just a straight up change of scenery trade for both players. I could also see trading Connolly to Edmonton for Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Whitney seems easier to get than Gilbert as they really like him in Edmonton). An interesting deal might be a package sent to Colorado involving Stafford, Sekera/Butler, Connolly, and a draft pick for Milan Hejduk (a right wing) and John Michael Liles (PP QB who needs a change of scenery) since Colorado is really moving toward a major youth movement, this might actually make some sense for them.

Based on what I heard in the press conference, I feel like I can expect that the management will try to trade Stafford, Connolly, and one of Sekera and Butler to make this team better. They may not be successful in getting rid of all of them, but I think they will do their best to try and trade them. For what it's worth, I don't think Roy's going anywhere, but just my take.

I kind of like the original trade for Horton. I like Horton better than Weiss. Horton seems to be bigger, tougher, nastier, and a more consistent 20 goal scorer and can really help out on the right side as a wing on the top line with Roy and Vanek. I think he also has the ability to take the occasional faceoff and can win a few draws so long as he's not relied upon to play center. I think a deal of Stafford, Sekera/Butler and a 2nd/3rd round pick for Horton and a 4th round pick could actually work. Florida is looking to shake things up and I think they'd be willing to part with Horton. Given Booth's two recent concussions, he's just another Tim Connolly to me, so I'm not sure I'm interested in him even though he's a really good player.

I think it's obvious everyone here wants Connolly gone. I still can't believe it was his 3 year deal for $2.9 million cap hit that prevented the Sabres from keeping J.P. Dumont. Remember Dumont was awarded $2.9 million by the arbitrator and the Sabres walked away from it rather spending the same $2.9 million on Tim Connolly who would play all of 2 games in the 2006-2007 season and play 1/3 of the games on his three year deal. Even though he had a decent season this year, that playoff was just horrible. I remember on July 1, 2007, many on this board were ecstatic to see Daniel Briere leave this franchise saying that Tim Connolly would be Briere's replacement and provide better defense than Briere. Is it finally fair to say that the Sabres were not better off letting Briere go and hoping that Tim Connolly would be his replacement?

Anyway, all that aside, I'd use Tim Connolly as trade bait to go after a PP QB defenseman type. I do not want a Sheldon Souray because he's expensive and almost always injured anyway. I think a Connolly for John Michael Liles deal might work as just a straight up change of scenery trade for both players. I could also see trading Connolly to Edmonton for Ryan Whitney or Tom Gilbert (Whitney seems easier to get than Gilbert as they really like him in Edmonton). An interesting deal might be a package sent to Colorado involving Stafford, Sekera/Butler, Connolly, and a draft pick for Milan Hejduk (a right wing) and John Michael Liles (PP QB who needs a change of scenery) since Colorado is really moving toward a major youth movement, this might actually make some sense for them.

Based on what I heard in the press conference, I feel like I can expect that the management will try to trade Stafford, Connolly, and one of Sekera and Butler to make this team better. They may not be successful in getting rid of all of them, but I think they will do their best to try and trade them. For what it's worth, I don't think Roy's going anywhere, but just my take.

I agree with you, Roy isn't going anywhere, his contract is just to good for Buffalo.

A RWer is needed for Roy and Vanek. Here is my list and what I'd give. Its short.

Nathan Horton = Connolly, Sekera/Butler/2nd rd pick

Dustin Penner = Stafford, 2nd rd pick/Butler

Those are only opinion though. I would prefer Horton over Penner but I believe both would fit with Roy and Vanek.

As for that stud center we need. That was my Weiss move, not exactly sizable, but in a combo trade, possible.

Off Topic from Florida but my center hands down is Brad Richards.

Brad Richards = Pomminstein, 3rd rd pick (Remember, Richards only has a year left on his contract)

I agree with you, Roy isn't going anywhere, his contract is just to good for Buffalo.

A RWer is needed for Roy and Vanek. Here is my list and what I'd give. Its short.

Nathan Horton = Connolly, Sekera/Butler/2nd rd pick

Dustin Penner = Stafford, 2nd rd pick/Butler

Those are only opinion though. I would prefer Horton over Penner but I believe both would fit with Roy and Vanek.

As for that stud center we need. That was my Weiss move, not exactly sizable, but in a combo trade, possible.

Off Topic from Florida but my center hands down is Brad Richards.

Brad Richards = Pomminstein, 3rd rd pick (Remember, Richards only has a year left on his contract)

I have to ask. Why would Florida take on Tim Connolly? And, if you were Dallas would you take on Pominville for $21.2 Million?

I have to ask. Why would Florida take on Tim Connolly? And, if you were Dallas would you take on Pominville for $21.2 Million?

Outside of Weiss, they have no real playmaking Center. Connolly would be a nice addition for them.

As for Dallas, I believe they absolutely would consider Pomminstein.

Of Course, this will leave Buffalo exposed at RW.

I really see Buffalo only moving Connolly, Stafford, and Butler/Sekera as far as active roster goes. But, I wouldn't put it past them to put Hecht into a trade deal if necessary.

I kept trying to tell people over and over again, Buffalo is not going after a PPQB in the off season.

In case no one had a chance to watch any or alot of Pirates games, I think fans will be more than pleasantly surprised by Gragnani. Although Many people figure Weber is more NHL ready and Gragnani is not, they are sadly mistaken. I had the opportunity to catch almost 50 games this season of the Pirates, Gragnani by far will push the roster, Weber will be battling with Sekera/Butler.

So, in all reality, Buffalo is only looking at a RWer (and I believe they give Stafford another run at it this upcoming season), Center (Connolly is gone, Roy's contract is just to good for Buffalo to move) and an additional Depth Center for the 3rd line (Matt Cullin is my choice but the Sabres are going to address this in the off season).

Ennis is a natural at LW, Lindy even stated as such in one of the regular season post game interviews when asked why they moved him from Center to LW. So, you have Vanek, Hecht, Ennis and Kennedy as LWers, something has to give here, alot of skill, with no size.

Center is a real issue.

Roy, ?, ?, Gaustad. The way I see it, if Connolly goes we are missing 2 real centers. Matt Cullen is my choice for line 3 centerin Kennedy and Grier (Gerbe if he is still here)

Line 2 is the hole I am attempting to fill if I'm Buffalo.

With this being said, If a deal for Richards could be done, Roy may very well have to be the one moved.

Right Wing is a bloody mess at this point for line 1. Stafford is not the answer, that is obvious, Gerbe is small but skilled. I see Grier back with Kennedy on LW on line 3. Line 4 may have Gerbe with Goose. Pomminstein is line 2. That still leaves that line 1 big question mark. If Stafford is to be moved, the team currently most interested is Edmonton. Penner is a natural choice for the swap.

I would still prefer Horton though.

Why would Florida take on Tim Connolly?

When was the last time that the Panthers made the post-season? Give you a hint: they're only a few seasons shy of Bills territory. They would consider it a success if he just got them there, whether or not he performed well in them. ;)

Archived