Miller called out by Cherry

Rabbit151

Miller is a very good goalie. He's not, however, going to carry a team on his back to the Cup....at least not this Sabres team. Look at Halak. He is flat out stealing some games for Montreal. We needed that out of Miller and he could not sustain that in a 6-7 game series. I love Miller but he has still not proven to me that he can be that Hasak/Broudeur type goalie in his prime...

I'd ammend this by saying "this or any other Sabres team." If I had a dollar for every time Miller lost a shut-out with five minutes left, I'd be a millionaire. I just think ultimately Miller is just "very good" but not elite...he can't seal the deal. So close and yet so far. Over and over.

Even the great Hasek couldn't carry Buffalo to a Cup. In fact, I don't remember a goalie ever carrying a team to a Stanley Cup. Halak or any goalie that gets hot can maybe steal a series or two but not four series, unless the cards fall just right. When push comes to shove, great teams win cups, not just great goalies.

I think B-lo's best chance to win a cup was the year we played Carolina in the Conference Finals. That's a year that the cards almost fell just right, and we would have walked all over Edmonton in the finals. But four d-men getting hurt is just plain unlucky.

The Sabres as they are, are built like a cheap suit and until Buffalo gets a savvy owner with deep pockets and a committment to Buffalo who has an insatiable thirst for a cup, we're going to go through this over and over.

I'd ammend this by saying "this or any other Sabres team." If I had a dollar for every time Miller lost a shut-out with five minutes left, I'd be a millionaire. I just think ultimately Miller is just "very good" but not elite...he can't seal the deal. So close and yet so far. Over and over.

Even the great Hasek couldn't carry Buffalo to a Cup. In fact, I don't remember a goalie ever carrying a team to a Stanley Cup. Halak or any goalie that gets hot can maybe steal a series or two but not four series, unless the cards fall just right. When push comes to shove, great teams win cups, not just great goalies.

I think B-lo's best chance to win a cup was the year we played Carolina in the Conference Finals. That's a year that the cards almost fell just right, and we would have walked all over Edmonton in the finals. But four d-men getting hurt is just plain unlucky.

The Sabres as they are, are built like a cheap suit and until Buffalo gets a savvy owner with deep pockets and a committment to Buffalo who has an insatiable thirst for a cup, we're going to go through this over and over.

Good comment about the shutouts. I don't think Miller is nearly mentally strong enough to be the goalie we all want him and the franchise needs him to be.

Good comment about the shutouts. I don't think Miller is nearly mentally strong enough to be the goalie we all want him and the franchise needs him to be.

All good points, and the fact that Crosby appears to have his number. Once the tables are turned, then I think we might have a better shot at the SC. After all, there were a few times when Hasek robbed Mario Lemieux cold.

Miller may only be the third best goalie in our division

Halak is even less consistent than Miller. Yeah, when he's been on, he's been rock solid, but he's also been pulled twice these playoffs. Not just let in a softy, but pulled out of the game for letting in 5 or 6 goals. Besides, if you're using these playoffs (and Rask's regular season) to say that those two are the best in the division, then it's not a leap to say that they are the best in the league. Rask may prove to be the better goalie, but I'm not convinced with Halak.

Halak is even less consistent than Miller. Yeah, when he's been on, he's been rock solid, but he's also been pulled twice these playoffs. Not just let in a softy, but pulled out of the game for letting in 5 or 6 goals. Besides, if you're using these playoffs (and Rask's regular season) to say that those two are the best in the division, then it's not a leap to say that they are the best in the league. Rask may prove to be the better goalie, but I'm not convinced with Halak.

more than anything, the success of halak and rask suggest that the model of playoff success that is predicated on having a franchise/stud/elite goalie isn't all it's cracked up to be. (another poster made this point elsewhere recently.) point being, miller is good enough to backstop us to victory in the SCF. problem being, the rest of the team isn't.

Seriously, like I've already said numerous times - A defensive system that requires your goalie to make that many saves on quality chances isn't a good one.

Be it the players or the coaches fault, I couldn't care less - The system sucks!

:worthy:

Archived