The Core or The Coach?

theend

The Core or the Coach  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who Goes?

There's been many calls for Lindy to go. And many calls for Connolly, Stafford, Roy, Pominville, etc. to go as well.

But let's say you can only choose one or the other (for argument's sake). Who's more at fault right now...and who's more likely to turn things around without the other?

No hedging, no 'both'...you have to choose one. And you're 'stuck' with the other.

Lindy and Darcy get the opportunity to build on this season.

The players that convinced them that they were going to step up and play big should be gone.

Roy, Connolly must be replaced at the top two center positions.

They are complementary players at best to real number one centers.

Not invaluable, just not the two players you want centering our top two lines.

Go big and sign Kovalchuk.

27 points in 27 games for the Devils after the trade.

41 goals and 85 points for the season.

6 points in 5 playoff games. (I did not see any of the games and I realize NJ lost)

Power play quarterback. Well seasoned. 27 years old.

It is also clearly obvious that Regier would not make a FA move like this. I know. I know.

It just seems that a marquee player like this does not come along on the open market too often.

Take what you want off this roster aside from Miller, Myers, and Vanek to make room.

Build the top six around him and Vanek.

Pominville's contract virtually prohibits him from being traded.

Stafford can walk.

Ennis and Kennedy have earned thier opportunity to center the top two lines.

Gerbe should be used for bait.

Matt Cullen???

Who else is out there?

What the Sabres consider the "core" other playoff teams consider marginal top 6 forwards with the exception of Thomas Vanek.

If Lindy Ruff were to hit the market, the other eastern conference teams would be in a winner take all backyard brawl to sign him first. Take the narrow-minded, self loathing Buffalo psyche out of the equation and the answer is right in front of you...

Lindy and Darcy get the opportunity to build on this season.

The players that convinced them that they were going to step up and play big should be gone.

Roy, Connolly must be replaced at the top two center positions.

They are complementary players at best to real number one centers.

Not invaluable, just not the two players you want centering our top two lines.

Go big and sign Kovalchuk.

27 points in 27 games for the Devils after the trade.

41 goals and 85 points for the season.

6 points in 5 playoff games. (I did not see any of the games and I realize NJ lost)

Power play quarterback. Well seasoned. 27 years old.

It is also clearly obvious that Regier would not make a FA move like this. I know. I know.

It just seems that a marquee player like this does not come along on the open market too often.

Take what you want off this roster aside from Miller, Myers, and Vanek to make room.

Build the top six around him and Vanek.

Stafford can walk.

Ennis and Kennedy have earned thier opportunity to center the top two lines.

Gerbe should be used for bait.

Matt Cullen???

Who else is out there?

I love the Kovalchuck idea, but as you say, I just don't think it'll happen. I don't mind Cullen, either. Veteran center that can win faceoffs.

Who else? I keep saying this...Marc-Andre Bergeron. He's got a howitzer shot and is also a power play QB. He's making $750K for Montreal right now. He can't be that expensive and he's only 30.

Build the top six around [Kovalchuk] and Vanek.

Any feelings about him as a player aside, I don't like the idea of having two high-priced wingers (not to mention Pominville at #3.) Centers are too important to the game and I'd prefer that at least one of my big-ticket players be a pivot. With Kovy's $9 million (give or take) hit and Vanek at $7 million, plus Miller and some unmovables like Pominville and Hecht, even if you trade away Roy and Connolly, you are looking at a lot of rookie defensemen and lower price options at center.

Who else? I keep saying this...Marc-Andre Bergeron. He's got a howitzer shot and is also a power play QB. He's making $750K for Montreal right now. He can't be that expensive and he's only 30.

Hey, anyone remember when i wanted this guy in the offseaon last year?

34 points in 60 games! Makes LESS than Sekera. Really though, maddening. What a waste of a roster spot. I have no doubt Bergeron's impact alone would've improved the PP 2 to 5 positions. Imagine Bergeron and Connolly on the points with Roy/Van/Staff down low? What i think would slay, Goose/Van/Staff down low?

What the Sabres consider the "core" other playoff teams consider marginal top 6 forwards with the exception of Thomas Vanek.

If Lindy Ruff were to hit the market, the other eastern conference teams would be in a winner take all backyard brawl to sign him first. Take the narrow-minded, self loathing Buffalo psyche out of the equation and the answer is right in front of you...

This is the most perceptive post I've seen here in some time.

Hey, anyone remember when i wanted this guy in the offseaon last year?

34 points in 60 games! Makes LESS than Sekera. Really though, maddening. What a waste of a roster spot. I have no doubt Bergeron's impact alone would've improved the PP 2 to 5 positions. Imagine Bergeron and Connolly on the points with Roy/Van/Staff down low? What i think would slay, Goose/Van/Staff down low?

At this point, I don't care if Gretzky himself was on the PP, I still wouldn't want Tiny Tim anywhere near the it, let alone the players bench.

When you look at bettering the top 6, and look at moving guys, who is the most movable?

Roy?

Roys, skill, age, contract, and potential, make him attractive to many team. But heres the problem. Who do you bring in to replace Derek? Not many players out there are as good as Roy, who make, or will make, the same figure.

It sickens me to know how much these guys make in relation to their league value.

Vanek didn't call the Oilers GM in 07 and tell them to match the offer. And after losing Dru and Danny a month earlier, Vanek had to be retained.

There might not be a limit to this guys potential. And his hands, and shoot, are just dynamic. But the lack of mental focus might hinder him more than anything. Still, its the purest offensive player we have. And he's also our biggest weapon up front.

Build around him.

Roy's 4.5 isn't bad for 73 average points per year over the last 3 seasons. So i dont mind him.

How much untapped potential is inside this guy? Maybe a touch more, but not alot. His skills are good, not elite. He skates very well, and he's a good playmaker. Turnover catlyst, and mind altering passes wor against him. But again, this contract isn't horrible. Theres alot worse on this team, if you wanna complain about salaries, look elsewhere.

I would keep him, preferably as a number 2. But we dont have options. More than likly he's our number one again next year. Live with it.

Connolly's contract, well like his career and personal opinions on him, is subject to debate. Is is worth the 4.5? Maybe? Leaning more toward a yes here. I feel if Tims plays those 9 games, he puts up 70 points. Its the same situation as Roy's deal, in a way.

Tim has nothing left in his potential tank to bring out. This is Connolly. If he had the desire, he could improve his faceoff skill, and perhaps his shot. Its not going to happen. I feel he's still a great, to good setup guy. He's matured alot from the dangler days. His passing is still top notch. However his shot is still weak, his defensive ability has slipped significantly, and he isn't getting older.

Not much value,imo. Are we stuck with him? Perhaps. I would get rid of him if possible for a younger guy, with higher potential than he had. We need his salary, and the playoff's showed me that he has alot of holes in his game. He's gotta go. Sorry Tim.

Pominville however, is paid to score goals. That is his role. TC and Roy get the assists, by setting up plays and making the nice passes. I expect, and the organization must as well, 30 goals from him every year. Now based on his skills, i think he's capable of putting up 30 and 35 for 65 points every year. Well next season he's going to be paid to put up at least 80 points. I dont think he has it in him. 62 points, its a joke.

I'm sorry. You cannot convince me he's worth more than 4 a year. I'd take him at 3.5 if i was a GM, anymore and he wouldn't be on my team. And what leverage did he have to get a NTC i ask? Is god his agent? What gives?

More potential than TC, alot less than Roy. His potential isn't comparable to Vanek's. I love his shot, i like his defensive ability, as well as his durability. I cannot stand his offensive awareness, he seems lost at times. He's lost his ability to get to the scoring area's in my view. His skating has also been lackluster. He cannot do anything on the PP, then again the entire team is worthless with the extra man. He is such a boring player. He has no offensive vision.

I would trade him for almost anything. A prospect and a 3rd rounder? You betcha. A prospect and a 5th rounder? You betcha. Almost anything. I dont care, i strongly dislike him. I hate his game, and i hate that contract. Ennis can bring what he brings. And i firmly believe this. Especially if he can stay on the 2nd line.

Pomminstein isn't going to bring in much value in a trade. I think he would have great value, if he made 4 or less a year. Darcy botched the deal, and now he's not movable.

Basically you gotta give to get in this league.

Nobody will want, what we desire to get rid of, and we dont have much to give in the first place. What a great position to be in! One or 2 pieces away, and we cannot make signifcant moves because of these contracts.

Its almost immposible to sit her, look up info, scan stats, and make realistic predictions as to what Darcy might do in the offseason.

Much much cap room, and no desire in the FA market. Any can say they would sihn or that guy or that guy, but when you put it into perspective, look at it as Darcy, what can you do?

The only guarantee's are the RFA's.

At this point, I don't care if Gretzky himself was on the PP, I still wouldn't want Tiny Tim anywhere near the it, let alone the players bench.

Who else can play the point? I'm just stating that with Bergeron on across from him, the PKers have to cover both men. And onw will get open.

In no way am i saying TC is a PP saviour.

Read my 2nd post. Then you'll come to find, i'm not so high on him, and we might agree on his ability.

Nice post. I like this guy already!

Who else can play the point? I'm just stating that with Bergeron on across from him, the PKers have to cover both men. And onw will get open.

In no way am i saying TC is a PP saviour.

Read my 2nd post. Then you'll come to find, i'm not so high on him, and we might agree on his ability.

Never said you were, I'm just stating my personal opinion which is that Tim blows on the PP, just like the rest of the team.

The PK'ers wouldn't have to cover both, all they need to do is stress little Timmy after he's been stickhandling 2ft back and forth for 30+ seconds and threaten to get physcial on him, and he'll cough the puck right up.

Now, if you could also take the overvaluing of it's assets Buffalo psyche out of it as well, you'd really have the answer.

Now, if you could also take the overvaluing of it's assets Buffalo psyche out of it as well, you'd really have the answer.

The whole damn thing -- from ownership to front office to coaching to core to fan base -- is overvalued.

Blow the first four up, rebuild them in the right way and watch the fifth blossom again.

Problem is, you can't blow ownership. I pray to the only true and loving God (Miro) that OSP is thinking about selling this team soon.

The whole damn thing -- from ownership to front office to coaching to core to fan base -- is overvalued.

Blow the first four up, rebuild them in the right way and watch the fifth blossom again.

Problem is, you can't blow ownership. I pray to the only true and loving God (Miro) that OSP is thinking about selling this team soon.

You can blow ownership. Just ask Monica Seles.

If Darcy can get rid of Roy and Connolly, especially if he gets quality in return for them, say in a trade for Brad Richards from Dallas, then I think Lindy could resurrect my faith in him. Because while we are stuck with players KNOWN for being lackadaisacal and distracted, the coach simply can't be fairly criticized. It's ALWAYS been this choice. Our ownership group is taking too long to realize it.

Archived