I give Connolly credit for one thing...

LabattBlue

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/27/1033062/glums-the-word-in-sabreland.html

For once, Connolly got in front of a mic and basically said "I SUCKED" instead of "We this..." and "We that..."(even though he did slip one "we" in there). That being said, I look forward to a Sabres team without Roy, Connolly and some of the other dead weight, whether it is 2010, 2011 or 2012.

"I'll take the full responsibility. Numbers don't lie," Connolly said. "We just didn't get it done on the special teams, and nowadays that's the difference in the game. The power play could have got us a few to win some games, and we could have done a better job penalty killing to win some games. That's the difference. It's my job to produce on the power play and to be one of the top penalty killers, and I didn't get the job done."

From the same article, here is Pominville...

"We talked about it quite a bit," right wing Jason Pominville said. "We tried to make adjustments. They did a good job, and we didn't do a good enough job."

For once, Connolly got in front of a mic and basically said "I SUCKED" instead of "We this..." and "We that..."(even though he did slip one "we" in there). That being said, I look forward to a Sabres team without Roy, Connolly and some of the other dead weight, whether it is 2010, 2011 or 2012.

"I'll take the full responsibility. Numbers don't lie," Connolly said. "We just didn't get it done on the special teams, and nowadays that's the difference in the game. The power play could have got us a few to win some games, and we could have done a better job penalty killing to win some games. That's the difference. It's my job to produce on the power play and to be one of the top penalty killers, and I didn't get the job done."

From the same article, here is Pominville...

"We talked about it quite a bit," right wing Jason Pominville said. "We tried to make adjustments. They did a good job, and we didn't do a good enough job."

Pominville is one of the worst media players on the team. Its always the same line with him. I commen TC for finnally steping up after a game and talking. But hes in the same catagory as Pommers. Vanek owns the media.

Pominville is one of the worst media players on the team. Its always the same line with him. I commen TC for finnally steping up after a game and talking. But hes in the same catagory as Pommers. Vanek owns the media.

Agree, the only broken record worse than Pominville in this organisation is Darcy.

I give Connolly credit for nothing. His 60+ points are predominatly assists, Ennis could have done the same and at a cheaper price.

He was touted as a goal scorer, a couple of game winners in the regular season doesn't impress me much while he dissappears for long and I mean long stretches of time, including the playoffs.

Agree, the only broken record worse than Pominville in this organisation is Darcy.

Pomminstein atleast puts the puck in the net more than 20 times or better a season. Give him a truly gifted center and his numbers go back up to 30+ a season and his 2 way play isn't bad.

His 5+ mil salary is a bit much to swallow, but all in all, I do not fault Pomminstein for the lack of offensive production all on his own.

I will say however, he needs to hit the net when he shoots, I mean really, how many missed shots has he had these past 3 seasons.

According to Paul Hamilton, he also wasn't in the locker room for questions after the game. They had to request that he come back and take some questions (which he did). Bolting ASAP after a game is supposedly pretty standard for him.

Hamilton also said that he was the most visibly upset of the Sabres after the game ("closest to crying") but I really don't care. He didn't seem to care very much on the ice when it mattered. Time to send him packing.

According to Paul Hamilton, he also wasn't in the locker room for questions after the game. They had to request that he come back and take some questions (which he did). Bolting ASAP after a game is supposedly pretty standard for him.

Hamilton also said that he was the most visibly upset of the Sabres after the game ("closest to crying") but I really don't care. He didn't seem to care very much on the ice when it mattered. Time to send him packing.

Too bad he wasn't upset enough to show up for the series then.

Couldn't agree more - TC's had his chances, and should be gone next season. He won't be, but he should.

I give Connolly credit for nothing. His 60+ points are predominatly assists, Ennis could have done the same and at a cheaper price.

He was touted as a goal scorer, a couple of game winners in the regular season doesn't impress me much while he dissappears for long and I mean long stretches of time, including the playoffs.

Not being a smartass, but who touted him as a goalscorer? I think he has always been seen as a playmaker, not a goalscorer.

Not being a smartass, but who touted him as a goalscorer? I think he has always been seen as a playmaker, not a goalscorer.

Understood, and I wasn't stating that the organization or hockey legions in general were touting him as such, merely the local or regional Sabres fan base. You are correct, he is known as a playmaker, but many fans expect him to show up and score goals.

This, to me in any event, shows the ineptness at Center for the Sabres. We need a sniper with size at center, Connolly just isn't it. He is worth something to some teams however, and should he and Stafford be packaged with picks/prospects or someone else, it should fetch a decent Center. Then again, as others have pointed out, it is Regier we are talking about here, hence my serious distaste for the current GM of the Sabres.

Hamilton also said that he was the most visibly upset of the Sabres after the game ("closest to crying") but I really don't care.

He was probably close to crying since he knows he'll have to relocate to LA or Calgary or wherever the new GM (hint, hint) banishes him to. The tears were likely due to the realization that a decent house in LA costs at least triple what it costs in Buffalo. And just think of all the frequent flyer miles he'll accrue out there on the left coast......:cry:

As a manager, I always use 'we' when I've done something good and 'I' when I have screwed up. The only time it's difficult is if you did well and your team sucked around you. Then you take the bullet and say 'we sucked', while trying to pick a positive out for those that did show up (like Grier in this case). The team is more important than the player.

This is not the first time that I've heard a member of the media criticize a player for lack of candor. For some reason, that irks me. I reject the notion that the players should feel obligated to interact with the media.

As a manager, I always use 'we' when I've done something good and 'I' when I have screwed up.

The world needs more managers like you. Another trait I've seen among good managers is to praise in public and criticize in private. I sure hope someone took Darcy aside and ripped him a new one.

Too bad he wasn't upset enough to show up for the series then.

Couldn't agree more - TC's had his chances, and should be gone next season. He won't be, but he should.

I really have no idea how they could sell next year's team to the fans if they don't make a significant trade or two involving our top two lines. Fans didn't embrace this year's team and that will only get worse this Fall now that they've been exposed in the playoffs. Does ANYONE want to pay to see another year where the Sabres have Connolly and Roy as their top two centers?

That said, I fully expect them to do nothing. Darcy's last bold move was in 2003 when he got Drury. The guy doesn't have the stomach for risky moves. And, lately, when he makes trades at all, they turn out horribly.

Not defending Pominville's 'party line' response, but at least he had 2G and 2A. I'd rather have that and have him give generic bites to the media. An honest TC who offers nothing on the ice and owns up to it later is worth exactly that - nothing.

As a manager, I always use 'we' when I've done something good and 'I' when I have screwed up. The only time it's difficult is if you did well and your team sucked around you. Then you take the bullet and say 'we sucked', while trying to pick a positive out for those that did show up (like Grier in this case). The team is more important than the player.

There's also the argument that "we" can be used in both cases, win or lose. My JV baseball coach (a guy I have respected from the day I met him) told us all once "We win as a team, we lose as a team, and we get punished as a team."

If I was Connolly, I might have said the same thing. "We did well" or "I take responsibility for the horrific power play" is just fine with me, but it doesn't change the fact that his time in Buffalo has come & gone.

Wasn't today supposed to be locker clean out day? Soon to be followed by LQ/DR end of year presser in the coming weeks?

Can't wait!

DR: "We made the playoffs and we will continue to build from within".

LQ: "Were working on Lindy's extenstion at this time, although dissappointed, the team made progress, Darcy? Anything to add"?

DR: "Yes, the fans should know the new jerseys will be on sale June 1st and the season tickets packages will be available the same day".

Archived