Jersey Second, Buffalo Third= Best Seeding

Dave Dryden

Thinking this through, of the top four teams in the East, you would rank Washington/Pittsburgh as the top pair, followed by NJ/Buffalo. At this point, more than Buffalo finishing second, it seems most advantageous to get Pittsburgh in the 4 seed.

First, 6-8 is so jumbled right now, even if you have a preferred first round opponent for the Sabres, who knows whether you need to be seed 1-3 to get that opponent. At bottom, I don't think there is much difference between Mon, Bos, Phi, or NYR--Sabres shoul beat any of them if they play their A game.

Second, Pittsburgh in fourth means an Ottawa matchup-- a pretty good bloodletting for either team. If the favorites win in the first round-- second round would be Pittsburgh/Washington, Buffalo/NJ. Let the two heavyweights fight it out--those teams hate each other. If Buffalo can beat NJ--and I like their chances with them much better than Pittsburgh or Washington--then we catch a hopefully spent team in the finals.

Third, if there is an upset in Round 1(other than Buffalo losing), it would seem most likely to be New Jersey. If that happens, Buffalo at least gets home ice for the second round, when taking on Pitt., or even Ottawa.

Bottom line, I think it is not very important for the Sabres to finish third or second. Pittsburgh in the 4 seed is a much more interesting issue. It may turn out that the Sabres losing on Sunday to NJ may actually improve their playoff situation. Just food for thought.

Spin it however you want, but it is always better to get the highest seed possible. You never know what teams above you will fall in a serieas and all of a sudden, the Sabres may find themselves with home ice advantage in the next round of games.

If the team worried about seeding #2 or #3 in the playoffs to play #7 or #6 respectively like we do, they've already lost. We won the division. I'm all for tanking these last two games, resting guys, trying some game situation things, and kicking ###### next week. There's a good reason why the vanilla sabres showed up last night... #6 or #7 may be the bruins. Expect more of the same saturday and sunday. I care about two things right now: getting healthy, and prepping my fridge and liver for game 1.

How many times have we seen the Sabres' "A" game in the second half of the season?

Depends what you consider to be an "A" game. Our record since the Olympic break has been pretty decent I would say. I realize that we have lost a few games we probably shouldn't have, however there were some games I thought we played well and still lost.

Depends what you consider to be an "A" game. Our record since the Olympic break has been pretty decent I would say. I realize that we have lost a few games we probably shouldn't have, however there were some games I thought we played well and still lost.

11-8-1, something like that.

It won't mean much come Game 1. The Sabres have established that they can be a dangerous team. But they did that so long ago, it has to make any sensible fan nervous. It's almost like after beating Phoenix, in the desert, 7-2, they collectively said... OK, see you in mid April.

Here we are.

11-8-1, something like that.

It won't mean much come Game 1. The Sabres have established that they can be a dangerous team. But they did that so long ago, it has to make any sensible fan nervous. It's almost like after beating Phoenix, in the desert, 7-2, they collectively said... OK, see you in mid April.

Here we are.

I agree with you to a certain extent. When we're playing well, we're a terrific team to watch. When we're playing well, the other team is just skating around hoping to get a touch of the puck. However, when we're playing uninspired hockey(like last Thursday in Toronto & last Saturday in Montreal) we are abysmal to watch. It all depends on which team shows up, and it does make me nervous.

If the team worried about seeding #2 or #3 in the playoffs to play #7 or #6 respectively like we do, they've already lost. We won the division. I'm all for tanking these last two games, resting guys, trying some game situation things, and kicking ###### next week. There's a good reason why the vanilla sabres showed up last night... #6 or #7 may be the bruins. Expect more of the same saturday and sunday. I care about two things right now: getting healthy, and prepping my fridge and liver for game 1.

:beer:

I'll add that once the playoffs start, winning the game is all that matters...no matter how ugly the win is or how bad the other team was or how the offense scored only 2 goals while Miller gave up 1. 16 wins is the goal. Get healthy and rested, because this is going to be a long ride.

I'd agree with that.

No reason to risk silly injuries at this point in the season.

3rd is a lock, 2nd a bonus that just might fall into their laps, but no reason breaking an arm for it.

No matter what, the Sabres couldn't face Ottawa (or Pittsburgh) until the conference finals - and that's set in stone. That means the Sens have to get through two tough series vs. non-Sabre opponents, and I don't like their chances. This bodes well for the Sabres, who I think could go toe to toe with anyone but the Sens at this point.

Anyway, I see no point in competing during these last two games. Determining the 1st-round opponent is out of the Sabres' hands now. Might as well just coast into the 3rd slot and take whoever lands in 6th.

No matter what, the Sabres couldn't face Ottawa (or Pittsburgh) until the conference finals - and that's set in stone. That means the Sens have to get through two tough series vs. non-Sabre opponents, and I don't like their chances. This bodes well for the Sabres, who I think could go toe to toe with anyone but the Sens at this point.

Anyway, I see no point in competing during these last two games. Determining the 1st-round opponent is out of the Sabres' hands now. Might as well just coast into the 3rd slot and take whoever lands in 6th.

Good point, at least we've beaten the Caps this season. It's so frustrating because Ottawa really are not that good, ugh do they ever annoy me. :bag:

Good point, at least we've beaten the Caps this season. It's so frustrating because Ottawa really are not that good, ugh do they ever annoy me. :bag:

Yeah i really HATE the sens but it would be fun to meet them in the east final cause that's the only time we gonna meet them and if the sabres can't beat a team that enjoy playing against them because they know they will win before the match even start well the sabres don't deserve to win $hit

Yeah i really HATE the sens but it would be fun to meet them in the east final cause that's the only time we gonna meet them and if the sabres can't beat a team that enjoy playing against them because they know they will win before the match even start well the sabres don't deserve to win $hit

You can be sure if Miller plays the final game against the Sens, that Neil and Ruuttu will be doing their utmost to take him out.

Cheapshotting pukes.

Second, Pittsburgh in fourth means an Ottawa matchup-- a pretty good bloodletting for either team. If the favorites win in the first round-- second round would be Pittsburgh/Washington, Buffalo/NJ. Let the two heavyweights fight it out--those teams hate each other. If Buffalo can beat NJ--and I like their chances with them much better than Pittsburgh or Washington--then we catch a hopefully spent team in the finals.

Third, if there is an upset in Round 1(other than Buffalo losing), it would seem most likely to be New Jersey. If that happens, Buffalo at least gets home ice for the second round, when taking on Pitt., or even Ottawa.

I would rest easier if they pull the 2nd seed. I dont think it would be to far fetched for the top 4 top advance in the first round. Its all about home-ice IMO right now.

And if the Capitals fall, guess what.

No matter what, the Sabres couldn't face Ottawa (or Pittsburgh) until the conference finals - and that's set in stone.

Uh, what? If the Sabres are the 3rd seed and the 2nd seed is upset, or if the Sabres are the 2nd seed and the Caps are upset, they will play the winner of 4th seed/Ottawa.

Breathe. Breathe. That's it. Now stick a period in there somewhere.

That's not correct. If NJ or Pitt is the second seed, and loses in round 1, and Washinton wins round one, then on reseeding for round 2 it would be Wash, Buffalo, 4/5 seed winner, seven seed(team that beat the second seed). To use an example, if NJ is the 2 seed, and Pitt 4, and NJ loses round 1, Buffalo would match up with either Ottawa or Pitt in round 2.

Archived