A Move The Sabres Need To Make And Can

CallawaySabres

The Rangers grabbed Jokinen and their man advantage has taken a huge jump. This is exactly what the Sabres will need to take it to the next level. I am not sure of who will be available but there have got to be a few guys that would fill this role. Any ideas out there.....Sabres definitely have some guys who they could ship. I really think the power play is the key to these guys winning a round or two in the playoffs.

The Sabres do need to fix the power play. Which way they go about that is debatable. I've read numerous times hockey experts say Sabres are looking to help the PP by adding an offensive d-men. The other move i'd really want them to make is, if they plan on keeping Hecht with Connolly and Pommer that's fine with me but then they need to add a 3rd line center. They can't go with Kennedy for much longer. He's hit the rookie wall and not only is he struggling, but he's become a liability out there.

The Sabres do need to fix the power play. Which way they go about that is debatable. I've read numerous times hockey experts say Sabres are looking to help the PP by adding an offensive d-men. The other move i'd really want them to make is, if they plan on keeping Hecht with Connolly and Pommer that's fine with me but then they need to add a 3rd line center. They can't go with Kennedy for much longer. He's hit the rookie wall and not only is he struggling, but he's become a liability out there.

I really like Myers on the power play. He has a feel for when to slam the puck on net and when not to, which is something a lot of our PP pointers don't seem to understand (I'm looking at you Pominville).

Our power-play would be greatly assisted by a player who works well behind the net. Briere used to be that setup guy, and we've found no one to replace him. Kaleta actually did a decent job there a few times this year (whether or not it was the PP I don't remember, I just remember thinking "hey, someone trying to feed it from behind the net! I haven't seen that in a while!).

I think there's some coaching that needs to be addressed here too. There's no denying that our powerplay is far too slow. They move the puck so poorly that the opposing team has plenty of time to get in the shooting lanes. I really like the Umbrella power play and I think we need to go back to that too. We just have too much trouble with only two players up high. We need that third.

Another coaching issue, is that we don't press enough. Cycling the puck up high isn't going to get anywhere. You have to move it rapidly up high and then press inward so that your passes are shorter which makes them quicker which makes for quicker shots. Getting the goalie and the defense moving is crucial and we waste too much time fiddling around up high to do that.

I'll say it again, Joni Pitkanen. DR's model trade/pick up. 15 of his 33 points on the power play. Signed through next season. On Carolina Hurricanes which I would assume are selling. Allows you to let Lydman go or trade Rivet in the summer. Only 26 yrold compared to 31 & 34.

I'll say it again, Joni Pitkanen. DR's model trade/pick up. 15 of his 33 points on the power play. Signed through next season. On Carolina Hurricanes which I would assume are selling. Allows you to let Lydman go or trade Rivet in the summer. Only 26 yrold compared to 31 & 34.

I like it.

A D-man with Dumont-esque assist ability.

I love the sweet, tight delivery of this post. But in this rough and tumble world of presenting fantasy trades, nothing less is acceptable. One stumble, and you're done. It's like the young docs presenting to House.

and David Backes. Because of this:

Backes+ for Roy? The Blues get more scoring(75-85 point man). The Sabres sacrifice scoring(55-65 point man) for some size and toughness. Roy will turn 27 in May. Backes will turn 26 in May. Roy is signed for 3 more years with a 4 mil cap hit. Backes is signed for 1 more year(will be a UFA after that) with a 2.5 mil cap hit.

I'd go so far to say Backes for Roy straight up, if Backes was signed for more than 1 year.

Archived