Kovalchuk traded

Two or less

sportsnet.ca has it up.

so i'm a believer.

Bergfors, Oduya, Prospect, and Pick sounds like a pretty light price, of course he is just a rental at this point.

What a weak, futile package. The Thrashers could have gotten alot more out of us if Regier had the balls. Vanek, Butler, Gerbe(or whoever), and a pick? The chances of Kovy wanting to resign with us must be alot higher than resigning with NJ.

How do we know he doesn't fit into a NJ system? All he's ever played for is Atlanta and they've never been good. Kovy plays an offense first game because there's no point to play defensively in Atlanta. I'm interested to see how this works out.

That's an interesting point. Just look at Marc Savard. He never crossed the red line in Atlanta and actually plays defense now in Boston. Then again, that took a couple years to develop while Kovalchuk will only spend a couple months in Jersey.

What a weak, futile package. The Thrashers could have gotten alot more out of us if Regier had the balls. Vanek, Butler, Gerbe(or whoever), and a pick? The chances of Kovy wanting to resign with us must be alot higher than resigning with NJ.

:blink:

That's an interesting point. Just look at Marc Savard. He never crossed the red line in Atlanta and actually plays defense now in Boston. Then again, that took a couple years to develop while Kovalchuk will only spend a couple months in Jersey.

But if Kovalchuk decides he thinks he can do it, and the NJ management agrees, maybe he signs for a lot less than he was asking in Atlanta, purely on the ground that NJ is consistently a contender.

Couldn't we have gotten him for a price like that?????

By a price like that you mean...

-A rookie winger that was in the RoY discussion until a couple weeks ago, still sitting only 10 points off the rookie scoring lead.

-An olympic defenseman for the reigning gold medal Swedes.

-Canada's WJC team captain.

-A first round pick

All for nothing more than 30 guaranteed games.

I don't think it is a bad package, to be honest ... Once they announced they were dealing him, every day closer to the deadline they lose leverage. And it is obviously a rental, once word got out that he turned down $101 million, no one was going to sweeten the deal with the idea of signing him. I am not saying Atlanta hit a home run, but they got good young players and a first rounder. I suspect that is what everyone was offering and they picked the young guys they liked best.

I railed against the idea, but what is that in terms of the Sabres? Stafford, Butler, Kassian and a No. 1? I think if I was Waddell I like NJ's package a little better, but ... I could have lived with it, but I would rather they take a run at Sharp, even if it is after the season.

I am betting Darcy doesn't feel as though we are close enough yet to make a big trade that would get rid of youth...

The difference between Lou and Darcy is Lou knows when to get rid of youth, which ones to keep and which ones are replaceable. Darcy uses up all that they have to offer and then gets little to nothing for them when they leave.

This is hillairious.

NJ just got a whole lot better. And they really only sacrificed a 1st and sound d man. The other two are crap shoots.

Man, got to love the Devils management, puts them immediately in contention with Wash. and Pitt for the right to represent the EC in the finals.

Oh well, I too hope Darcy is looking at Sharp.

The difference between Lou and Darcy is Lou knows when to get rid of youth, which ones to keep and which ones are replaceable. Darcy uses up all that they have to offer and then gets little to nothing for them when they leave.

Another difference is that Devils goal is to win the Stanley Cup. This was a move so they don't waste a great year from Brodeur. I'm sure Darcy is on the phone right now trying to reach Bob Corkum's agent.

This was a move so they don't waste a great year from Brodeur.

Not to nitpick, but it wasn't just about not wasting a great year for Brodeur; it was about not wasting what could be one of Brodeur's last great years. He's 37 and while he is still playing well, you never know when he's going to hit the wall. Not saying that I like Darcy's completely passive style - I don't - but in this particular case, you can't compare Miller's situation with Marty's. At 29, I'm sure that they feel that Miller is just entering his prime and none of their other players are getting particularly old.

Archived