DARCY REGIER -- SIX (6) GREAT MOVES

Lethbridge Broncos

I don't care if Connolly leads them to a Cup and wins the Conn Smythe, they were bidding against no one and overpaid for him. Afinogenov had to TRY OUT ... you're telling me someone else was going to give injury-prone Connolly $4 million+? No way. That was not Darcy's finest hour no matter how it turns out.

Not to nitpick but the Sabres have not picked many impact players in the draft. Myers is the first player since Drew Stafford to contribute right away. 2004 was a solid draft but 2005 and 2006 were not good.

PTR

What are you talking about? :sick:

2006 Entry 24 1 Dennis Persson D Vasteras IK [swe-1] :sick: :sick:

2006 Entry 46 2 Jhonas Enroth G Sodertalje SK [sEL]

2006 Entry 57 2 Mike Weber D Windsor Spitfires [OHL] 16 0 3 3 14

2006 Entry 117 4 Felix Schutz C Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]

2006 Entry 147 5 Alex Biega D Salisbury School (Conn. H.S.)

2006 Entry 207 7 Benjamin Breault C Baie-Comeau Drakkar [QMJHL]

2005 Entry 13 1 Marek Zagrapan C Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL] :sick: :sick: :sick:

2005 Entry 48 2 Philipp Gogulla W Cologne Sharks [DEL]

2005 Entry 87 3 Marc-Andre Gragnani D Prince Edward Island Rocket [QMJHL] 2 0 0 0 4

2005 Entry 96 4 Chris Butler D Sioux City Musketeers [uSHL]

2005 Entry 142 5 Nathan Gerbe C U.S. Junior National Team [intl]

2005 Entry 182 6 Adam Dennis G London Knights [OHL]

2005 Entry 191 6 Vyacheslav Buravchikov D Krylia-2 (Russia)

2005 Entry 208 7 Matt Generous D New England Jr. Falcons (EJHL)

2005 Entry 227 7 Andrew Orpik D Thayer Academy (Mass.)

Your post is nothing more than pure speculation.

To the contrary to your post, the facts and proof is that Connolly has the NHL's best point scoring streak going right now -- and is playing at a level where his teammates are playing better b/k of his great play. Did you see the pass he gave Pominville last night? Connolly was incredible the entire game (end to end strong play).

The price for an elite scorer -- which Connoly is, is the salary he is currently receiving. Regier and Connolly go way, way back -- if anyone knows Connolly's potential and upside, it is Regier.

ALl these guys are an injury away from missing time (crosby was out for almost 20 games last season). Conollly's injureis were nasty: 1) a bruttal cheap shot by Scott Nichol; and 2) a wicked skating full speed across the ice elbow by Schaefer of the Sens (40 foot run). Before those two hits, this guy played FOUR 80+ game seasons.

I dont see how anyone could argue with his salary. If anything, he might be a bargain. And the threat of injury, given his background for injury, cannnot be quantified.

I don't care if Connolly leads them to a Cup and wins the Conn Smythe, they were bidding against no one and overpaid for him. Afinogenov had to TRY OUT ... you're telling me someone else was going to give injury-prone Connolly $4 million+? No way. That was not Darcy's finest hour no matter how it turns out.

From the 05 and 06 drafts, Butler's name stands out. he is a serviceable player -- clearly.

The others, especially the lot in the AHL, seem to have potential. IMO, the impact players are: Vyacheslav Buravchikov and Marc-Andre Gragnani.

What are you talking about? :sick:

2006 Entry 24 1 Dennis Persson D Vasteras IK [swe-1] :sick: :sick:

2006 Entry 46 2 Jhonas Enroth G Sodertalje SK [sEL]

2006 Entry 57 2 Mike Weber D Windsor Spitfires [OHL] 16 0 3 3 14

2006 Entry 117 4 Felix Schutz C Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL]

2006 Entry 147 5 Alex Biega D Salisbury School (Conn. H.S.)

2006 Entry 207 7 Benjamin Breault C Baie-Comeau Drakkar [QMJHL]

2005 Entry 13 1 Marek Zagrapan C Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL] :sick: :sick: :sick:

2005 Entry 48 2 Philipp Gogulla W Cologne Sharks [DEL]

2005 Entry 87 3 Marc-Andre Gragnani D Prince Edward Island Rocket [QMJHL] 2 0 0 0 4

2005 Entry 96 4 Chris Butler D Sioux City Musketeers [uSHL]

2005 Entry 142 5 Nathan Gerbe C U.S. Junior National Team [intl]

2005 Entry 182 6 Adam Dennis G London Knights [OHL]

2005 Entry 191 6 Vyacheslav Buravchikov D Krylia-2 (Russia)

2005 Entry 208 7 Matt Generous D New England Jr. Falcons (EJHL)

2005 Entry 227 7 Andrew Orpik D Thayer Academy (Mass.)

IMO, the impact players are: Vyacheslav Buravchikov and Marc-Andre Gragnani.

One will never come over to the USA(if it was going to happen, he'd be here by now) and MAG's only chance at the NHL is if he is moved to forward.

Weber, Gogulla, Enroth & Grebe all have a better chance at making it.

Not to nitpick but the Sabres have not picked many impact players in the draft. Myers is the first player since Drew Stafford to contribute right away. 2004 was a solid draft but 2005 and 2006 were not good.

PTR

Myers is a freak. Very few players anywhere are going to step right up a year after being drafted and make that impact. Stafford does not deserve to be mentioned in that same sentence since he still spent two more seasons at North Dakota before turning pro. But since you mentioned him, a few other recent names have followed a similar path, seeing decent ice time and production during their 1st two seasons as a pro and beyond:

Butler (as has been mentioned already)

Kaleta- a different type of impact on the team, but still an impact

Kennedy (not officially a Sabre draft pick, but he might as well have been)

Obviously it's too early to tell for some others, but we'll see what the future holds for guys like Ennis, Tropp, and Adam.

In the WHl, the season lasts 72 games. In college, it lasts about 40 or so games. So, MYers had some good learning while in the WHL. And of course, the physical play is outstanding - and you learn to fight. THe college obys are usually weaklings b/k they wear full cages and never fight anyone. The WHL boys are full of piss and vinegar. Myers, after putting on 10 pounds of muscle this summer -- will be impossing. Last night, Doan took a 10 foot run at him and bounced off him like a peeble hitting an M1 Abrams tank. THe fear is that Myers will play too soft like Tallinder -- his pairing. While no one wants, expects, Myers to be a goon, mucker, cumbersome, hack (see Sutton for the Islanders) -- he might develope some soft habits playing with the docile /soft Swed. Right now, everything is lovely for their pairing -- but hopefully Myers will develope his own identity. Case and point, Butler is like Rivet's twin brother. I cant tell them apart sometimes.

Myers is a freak. Very few players anywhere are going to step right up a year after being drafted and make that impact. Stafford does not deserve to be mentioned in that same sentence since he still spent two more seasons at North Dakota before turning pro. But since you mentioned him, a few other recent names have followed a similar path, seeing decent ice time and production during their 1st two seasons as a pro and beyond:

Butler (as has been mentioned already)

Kaleta- a different type of impact on the team, but still an impact

Kennedy (not officially a Sabre draft pick, but he might as well have been)

Obviously it's too early to tell for some others, but we'll see what the future holds for guys like Ennis, Tropp, and Adam.

In the WHl, the season lasts 72 games. In college, it lasts about 40 or so games. So, MYers had some good learning while in the WHL. And of course, the physical play is outstanding - and you learn to fight. THe college obys are usually weaklings b/k they wear full cages and never fight anyone.

Such an idiotic comment that reaks of bias. I could go off on a long rant here, but you're not worth my time.

Your post is nothing more than pure speculation.

To the contrary to your post, the facts and proof is that Connolly has the NHL's best point scoring streak going right now -- and is playing at a level where his teammates are playing better b/k of his great play. Did you see the pass he gave Pominville last night? Connolly was incredible the entire game (end to end strong play).

The price for an elite scorer -- which Connoly is, is the salary he is currently receiving. Regier and Connolly go way, way back -- if anyone knows Connolly's potential and upside, it is Regier.

ALl these guys are an injury away from missing time (crosby was out for almost 20 games last season). Conollly's injureis were nasty: 1) a bruttal cheap shot by Scott Nichol; and 2) a wicked skating full speed across the ice elbow by Schaefer of the Sens (40 foot run). Before those two hits, this guy played FOUR 80+ game seasons.

I dont see how anyone could argue with his salary. If anything, he might be a bargain. And the threat of injury, given his background for injury, cannnot be quantified.

Come on, are you really trying to justify the deal based on a 3 week stretch? So, if he is a bargain based on this 12-game streak, what was he when he had two whole points in the 13 games before that?

I actually like Connolly a lot and think his TALENT is worth every penny of his salary. But it's about what your team gets out of that talent, and to say the injury thing is not a factor at all is just ridiculous. If they were going to give him a contract based on his talent, why was he signed only for two years? And why for less money than Pominville? Because there was risk involved, and even Connolly and his agent knew it ... otherwise, why sign only a 2-year "bargain" deal when you can hit the market in a couple months?

Again, I love the way he is playing and I am rooting hard for him because he has had bad luck, but I still don't like that deal.

Thanks for spairing us the "rant" and your time.

The comment is not offensive. It is a trueism. College players are usually not as physical (this semi-generalization is alomst empiracly established as a fact, yet it is not b/k it is too hard to quantify). College hockey is highly regulated/ watched/ ref'd much more carefully and watchfully by college hockey officials and by the schools who make lots of money off their NCAA hockey teams (so college players can't take as many liberties (i.e., look at Sabre prospect Corey Tropp, last season, who was suspended for the season for a nasty slash)). The WHL is still considered the 'wild west.' Just ask anyone in Medicine Hat or Kamloops who watches it. Also, college wears full shields. WHL does not.

And there is no bias -- college hockey is a good breeding ground for players. But in the context of my post and the post I was replying too -- i think the WHL is a fine place to train and learn how to be a pro player the FIRST season out (just as good of a place to be readied as college). It is really the player -- not the league. But make not mistake about it, the WHL breeds harder and more physical players (fighers and aggitators) than college does.

Such an idiotic comment that reaks of bias. I could go off on a long rant here, but you're not worth my time.

Connolly was taking a lot of flack from everyone after those injuries. He was the poster boy for the failing and weak club. His K was signed under duress -- IMO (it was done at tne NHL TRADE DEADLINE -- when his name was up as a possible trade target). THe going rate, if you look at Ks around the league for guys with his pedigree, skill set, size, position and standing (almost a 10 yr vet) -- it is the norm. His is a premier center in the national league by any standard. Imagine if he played with Alexander Semin or Jerome Iginla -- wow.

I agree that the injuries lead to a shorter K. The Sabre could not get any insurance for him -- adn they lost money on him before. But at $4.5 for 2 yrs --it was a good deal. He will be about 30 when the next deal comes -- and will play hard and be motivated until then. Play for the money. Besides, Regier had to pay Miller huge cash and he is already on the hook for Roy, Pomminstein and Vanek.

It will take lots to keep Myers. Ruff should cut his ice time down and his PP time -- to lower his stats for his agent to negotiate with.

Ruff got burned on this when he had Drury who was AN absolute puck hog his last season in Buffalo -- as he wanted a 5 yr deal from the Rangers adn needed lots of points to do it. Ruff should have decreased his ice time -- instead he gave him more time. YOU need to think like this IMO...

Come on, are you really trying to justify the deal based on a 3 week stretch? So, if he is a bargain based on this 12-game streak, what was he when he had two whole points in the 13 games before that?

I actually like Connolly a lot and think his TALENT is worth every penny of his salary. But it's about what your team gets out of that talent, and to say the injury thing is not a factor at all is just ridiculous. If they were going to give him a contract based on his talent, why was he signed only for two years? And why for less money than Pominville? Because there was risk involved, and even Connolly and his agent knew it ... otherwise, why sign only a 2-year "bargain" deal when you can hit the market in a couple months?

Again, I love the way he is playing and I am rooting hard for him because he has had bad luck, but I still don't like that deal.

Everything in life is about balance, LabattBlue. Like the beer you use as your screen name -- which is a terrific balance of hops and good canadian water, which is then boiled over a hot steal candanian drum machined and forged in Hamilton, players contracts have to be watched and followed. As much as scoring is GREAT and wins games -- on the flip side, it creats a problem for contracts at the end of the season. Guys used to play for the sweater -- and glory. Now they play for the money (i.e., see Mike Peca and agent / handler/ lawyer/ power of attorney Don Meehan). So, the balance (and this is kind of a joke) would be to win games yet not let Myers show up the bargaining table with his agent with all star type stats. since the inception of Free agency, this has been a consideration in pro sport. A coach usually hates the management and motivates the players with the division. In Blfo, the coach and GM are as thick as thieves -- and Ruff could manipulate the stats for conracts talks. Ruff knew Drury was leaving -- everyone knew. Anyother talk is Bull$hit. And Ruff needed/ wanted to win -- so he played Drury who needed the stats to go to the "table" with. It was win -win. Myers still has two years -- he can be played/ manipulted until he cant skate anymroe. He is used a 72 game schedule in junior. But if Myers flirts with the NOrris some day -- they better sit himon the bench if they are up in the standings or up in game more than 2 goaols next season. All too prospective and dream like to imagine.

Why stop there. Send him up to the press box every few games. <_<

Of course they've created more physical players than the college system. More players come out of the canadian system than anywhere else. Next you're going to tell me that the NCAA provides the NBA with more 3 point shooters than any other program out there. But hey, I must be crazy for knowing that someone posting with that handle has a bit of a bias towards WHL and other CHL players (COUGH COUGH Mancari and Gragnani COUGH).

Everything in life is about balance, LabattBlue. Like the beer you use as your screen name -- which is a terrific balance of hops and good canadian water, which is then boiled over a hot steal candanian drum machined and forged in Hamilton, players contracts have to be watched and followed. As much as scoring is GREAT and wins games -- on the flip side, it creats a problem for contracts at the end of the season. Guys used to play for the sweater -- and glory. Now they play for the money (i.e., see Mike Peca and agent / handler/ lawyer/ power of attorney Don Meehan). So, the balance (and this is kind of a joke) would be to win games yet not let Myers show up the bargaining table with his agent with all star type stats. since the inception of Free agency, this has been a consideration in pro sport. A coach usually hates the management and motivates the players with the division. In Blfo, the coach and GM are as thick as thieves -- and Ruff could manipulate the stats for conracts talks. Ruff knew Drury was leaving -- everyone knew. Anyother talk is Bull$hit. And Ruff needed/ wanted to win -- so he played Drury who needed the stats to go to the "table" with. It was win -win. Myers still has two years -- he can be played/ manipulted until he cant skate anymroe. He is used a 72 game schedule in junior. But if Myers flirts with the NOrris some day -- they better sit himon the bench if they are up in the standings or up in game more than 2 goaols next season. All too prospective and dream like to imagine.

Nonsense.

It will take lots to keep Myers. Ruff should cut his ice time down and his PP time -- to lower his stats for his agent to negotiate with.

Ruff got burned on this when he had Drury who was AN absolute puck hog his last season in Buffalo -- as he wanted a 5 yr deal from the Rangers adn needed lots of points to do it. Ruff should have decreased his ice time -- instead he gave him more time. YOU need to think like this IMO...

Look, we can agree to disagree on Connolly's deal, but it is the coach's job to win a Stanley Cup, not worry about what players' agents are thinking. You don't make a Cup run by sitting your best players because you are afraid they will put up numbers and then cost too much. What is the point of keeping Myers if you are just going to cut his ice time in fear of his next contract?

Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do NOT need to think like that.

I hear you, fella.

And what I wrote is kind of whimsical -- this place could use a little salubriousness, as opposed to the normal lugubriousness.

I'll tell you, after Gretz got traded when Pete Pock was hurting for cash -- it made is very clear in my mind that owners and management will do anything for profit over winning. That Oil team could have won another 4 with #99 there with Moose, et al. But no, they picked money (LA gave them a breifcase of cash) for #99. So that will show you what the front office does behind closed doors. The reason this idea in this thread is even remotely furhter interesting is b/k it has been a LONG LONG time since a coach and GM have been together like this. The two think as one brain. THus, both are financially in the know about the player personell moves and on ice prodcut -- and what it will take to keep a prodcut in Buffalo. So, don be so confidant that coaches or management wont puppeteer a financial situation if it can be done. LAstly, you usually see the opposite. Coaches (who are "against management" -- as that bonds the team) often times will paly a guy late in the season to get him 40 or 50 goals -- for the pay raise. So, the oppositve can just as easily happen -- and it can happen when you have old buddies running the show. IF you dont do this, you will see Myers leave ala Campbell -- who the market overpaid for each of his assists and goals and ice time and blcoked shots and hits and +/-, etc. Take this all with a grain of sea salt...food for thought...

Look, we can agree to disagree on Connolly's deal, but it is the coach's job to win a Stanley Cup, not worry about what players' agents are thinking. You don't make a Cup run by sitting your best players because you are afraid they will put up numbers and then cost too much. What is the point of keeping Myers if you are just going to cut his ice time in fear of his next contract?

Thanks for the advice, but I definitely do NOT need to think like that.

Archived