[OT] "DOH!"

PromoTheRobot

Our rec league team went 13-1 and was the #1 seed going into tonight's playoff and we lost 6-5. The other guys sent everyone in to forecheck and when our guys did turn it over it was a jail break to the goal. Scored all 6 goals on rebounds. Meanwhile their guy stood on his head even though he gave up 5.

PTR

Our rec league team went 13-1 and was the #1 seed going into tonight's playoff and we lost 6-5. The other guys sent everyone in to forecheck and when our guys did turn it over it was a jail break to the goal. Scored all 6 goals on rebounds. Meanwhile their guy stood on his head even though he gave up 5.

PTR

Sounds like you play in the NHL! Sucks to lose after a great season, but let this be the greatest misery you face this year.

Been there done that. My league has so many different sub-divisions that they hold the playoffs within. They like to re-order these divisions all the time. A couple years back, my team breazed through the whole season, only to be bumped up a level just in time for the playoffs. Yeah, we were in first place based on record, but all those games were against the lower competition. The last place team that struggled against the higher level of competition then beat us. Yeah, it's not exactly the same as your deal, but it still sucked. Why not let us win our well deserved championship AND THEN bump us up the following season? Those soccer leagues with that relegation system don't re-organize before the playoffs.

Been there done that. My league has so many different sub-divisions that they hold the playoffs within. They like to re-order these divisions all the time. A couple years back, my team breazed through the whole season, only to be bumped up a level just in time for the playoffs. Yeah, we were in first place based on record, but all those games were against the lower competition. The last place team that struggled against the higher level of competition then beat us. Yeah, it's not exactly the same as your deal, but it still sucked. Why not let us win our well deserved championship AND THEN bump us up the following season? Those soccer leagues with that relegation system don't re-organize before the playoffs.

The soccer leagues in Europe with a relegation system don't have playoffs - that is a purely American invention.

I've always liked the European soccer systems, with their multiple competitions within a season. Most major leagues (England, Italy, Spain) have three national competitions in one season, which is not including the Champions League or the Europa League).

Try this one on for size, for a hockey season. (I'm on my lunchbreak, and have time on my hands!)

The Stanley Cup - Each team plays 82 games in a season, playing each of the 30 teams in the league at least once home and away. All thirty teams score points on one table, and the leader on points at the end of the season is the champion. (Some way of balancing the schedule is required so that Western conference teams aren't runaway winners here! Only two Eastern winners in the last fourteen years!)

The Presidents' Trophy - FA Cup/Wimbledon style knockout competition. One game only in each round, winners to advance, with each round spread out during the regular season. Start with 16 NHL teams seeded, and the remaining 14 NHL teams, 29 AHL teams and an assortment of 21 other minor league teams (to make up 64 teams), which get thinned down to 16 to play the 16 seeded teams, on a knockout basis going down to two teams to play for the trophy.

That should be fun, and lets the small fry get their chance in the limelight as well!

The soccer leagues in Europe with a relegation system don't have playoffs - that is a purely American invention.

Not true. Not sure who invented it, but the Euro soccer leagues certainly have playoffs. For example, take English FIrst Division (n/k/a "Coca-Cola Championship"): First and second are promoted, but third through sixth have a playoff to determine the last team to achieve promotion to the Premiership. Then there's the Euro League and Champions League, both of which not only use playoffs, but depend upon them for serious revenue.

The Premier League does not have a playoff for the championship; I'll give you that.

PTR

Sorry to hear it end this way for you, but sounds like a pretty good strategy by the other team at the rec league level... especially with a hot goalie to ride!

I play in the Over 40 League in ManchNH, and somewhat like the NHL, our regular season games don't mean much except to pad individual stats. The real season starts with the playoffs and nearly every team makes it. Two years ago we had a similar outcome to yours, with our "first place" team upset in OT by a team that barely squeaked in.

Regardless of the final score, it's great fun and the beer always tastes good after! Glad to hear you still play, and hope you continue to have fun with it for many years to come!

BTW, if you've had your playoffs, does that mean your season is over? That would suck to end in January, there's still a lot of winter ahead!

Cheers!

PM

Not true. Not sure who invented it, but the Euro soccer leagues certainly have playoffs. For example, take English FIrst Division (n/k/a "Coca-Cola Championship"): First and second are promoted, but third through sixth have a playoff to determine the last team to achieve promotion to the Premiership. Then there's the Euro League and Champions League, both of which not only use playoffs, but depend upon them for serious revenue.

The Premier League does not have a playoff for the championship; I'll give you that.

Damn, that's right - I clean forgot about the playoff system the English lower divisions adopted for the promotion. Sorry about that.

The whole playoff shindig for the Champions League as well as the Coca Cola Championship are all recent inventions, in imitation of the American system. Go back to what I said about playoffs being a purely American invention.

Of course, the money makes all the difference, as long as there are willing customers like us willing to watch the product. When the European Cup first got changed to the Champions League, there was a big hullabaloo about it, but the GMs weren't going to complain when their coffers were getting filled!

Damn, that's right - I clean forgot about the playoff system the English lower divisions adopted for the promotion. Sorry about that.

So there's playoffs in the lower levels, but not at the top? What is this, NCAA Football? :)

So there's playoffs in the lower levels, but not at the top? What is this, NCAA Football? :)

I flipped on English Premier League Football today, and heard an interesting tidbit: Portsmouth (Pompey, to the locals) have not won against Arsenal since 1958. How's that for parity. :)

I flipped on English Premier League Football today, and heard an interesting tidbit: Portsmouth (Pompey, to the locals) have not won against Arsenal since 1958. How's that for parity. :)

Pompey have much bigger issues right now, the team is basically in receivership and players have no idea when they're getting paid and a fire sale imminent in this transfer window

Archived