Could this be RJ's last year?

bottlecap

I watched the Rangers feed on Center Ice on Saturday night...and today they had headlines about who they're trying out for RJ's three-week leave of absence presumably coming soon? (or is during the Olympics?) I didn't think too much of it except I don't remember RJ ever taking a break in the middle of the season before...

Anyway I caught the Sabres feed and was listening to RJ's call of the Sabre goals...his voice sounds shot. It sounded terrible, especially with that last Kaleta goal...it's like he tried to reach down and bellow out the goal but all that came out was this scratchy, awful sounding voice.

I know he's been hinting that he's closer to the end than to the beginning, and that he hates the travel...

Could this be RJ's last year?

I thought the second Kaleta goal was a great call. The voice is pretty typical of a lot of his calls the last several years. The man IS pushing 70. But what I've picked up on in recent weeks are a lot of weird mistakes. "Over the wing" instead of "over the line." Very uncharacteristic. I've thought several times this season that he has sounded sick. One of the game he could barely get the call out.

He took time off last season too.

Jeanneret at 90% is still amazing.

Maybe he's trying to get to October 2011 (or spring 2012) so he can say he put in 40 years...

I watched the Rangers feed on Center Ice on Saturday night...and today they had headlines about who they're trying out for RJ's three-week leave of absence presumably coming soon? (or is during the Olympics?) I didn't think too much of it except I don't remember RJ ever taking a break in the middle of the season before...]

The entire league is on break during the olympics, so the team will have officially lost their mind if they're looking for someone to fill in for RJ during that time.

I posted a couple weeks ago that he called Mair, "Ruff" twice during a game. I fear that the end is near. Could be his vision, could be something worse going on. Could just be the beer that he and Harry mentioned many times this evening!

That was funny last night RJ bitching and Moaning over paying 7.50 for a beer at the Garden.

I think that RJ has been having some problems at times identifying players correctly but I attribute that more to expected vision issues and it usually occurs between players with similar jersey numbers (i.e. he mixed up Kaleta and Vanek in the Rangers game).

The one who seems to have gotten worse - especially this season - is Harry Neale IMO. I always liked him more than the departed Jim Lorentz because he was more laid-back and had a better-sounding voice to complement RJ. However, his quest for the one-liners and cliches he tosses in seemingly every 10 minutes or so has become a tired routine. Worse yet, he has been making flagrant and obvious mistakes during the game as if he hasn't even been paying attention. During the Caps game, he said "the Sabres will have to make sure they protect this 2-0 lead" at the end of the second period, when RJ had to sternly point out to him "That's true but they have a 3-0 lead after two periods". I've lost count how many times RJ has had to correct something that Neale has said - and when it becomes that obvious to a viewer, it's definitely time for Neale to consider retiring or accepting some intermission / studio assignment. I believe that his 3 year contract is up after this season. I'd rather see Roby alongside RJ and Neale in the studio.

Who we can get to replace Rob Ray at the ice level remains a question....

...because RJ is so obviously even-handed in his play-by-play? Really?

It had to be said.

I think spndnchz notion of the two old Muppets is pretty close. They are said to be good friend, and I think Rick is comfortable enough to correct Harry. Harry must be equally comfortable with it.

I think that RJ has been having some problems at times identifying players correctly but I attribute that more to expected vision issues and it usually occurs between players with similar jersey numbers (i.e. he mixed up Kaleta and Vanek in the Rangers game).

Welcome to the board, Sabretip! Great to see you here. Don't let the natives scare you off.

possibly.... is it just me or does anyone else sense there is some friction between these two guys. Neale is very pro sabres and it rubs RJ the wrong way..... thoughts?

Not at all - if anything, I think it's the reverse. They're both similar in age, seem like drinking buddies (judging from their comments over the years) and different in styles so they don't interrupt the other. It was 3 years ago when Neale signed on to replace Lorentz - as I recall, RJ only signed up for 2 more years at that time with an option for a 3rd (which I didn't read any press clippings confirming such but obviously he's working now). If RJ didn't like Neale, I don't think he'd have renewed his deal. It also seems that, with the team making accomodations in letting RJ skip the long road trips each season, he seems to have dropped fewer hints of his eventual retirement.

It will be interesting this coming offseason what they do with the broadcast team. With the economic downturns around the country, I wonder really that the Sabres need 5 people to cover telecasts. I don't like Sylvester much but he's effective as the ringleader and spokesperson for the real experts. I'd let Neale join Sylvester, put Robie with RJ and dump Ray altogether.

There are several Sabres Alumni who frequent The Aud on Transit Road. They have mentioned that this is likely the last year for both RJ and Harry. Take it for what it's worth.

If there is a god; then neither of them will be allowed on the air to ever - ever sound as horrible as Van Miller did his last couple season as the Bills play by play man. That was beyond sad...... :(

There are several Sabres Alumni who frequent The Aud on Transit Road. They have mentioned that this is likely the last year for both RJ and Harry. Take it for what it's worth.

It would make sense since both of their contracts are up for renewal at the end of the year. We know that Quinn has no fears or reservations about dumping Buffalo favorites of the past (i.e. LaFontaine, McKee, Briere, etc.). The real question will be who he decides to replace them with if they are let go - heaven forbid if we're expected to watch telecasts with Sylvester doing PxP and Ray doing color commentary...

It would make sense since both of their contracts are up for renewal at the end of the year. We know that Quinn has no fears or reservations about dumping Buffalo favorites of the past (i.e. LaFontaine, McKee, Briere, etc.). The real question will be who he decides to replace them with if they are let go - heaven forbid if we're expected to watch telecasts with Sylvester doing PxP and Ray doing color commentary...

Paul Hamilton was excellent at it. So was Jim Lorentz for that matter. A fresh, unique young voice -- like Rick was in 1971 -- would be preferred over some veteran "Harry Hairspray." And, please, let the Jeanneret line in Buffalo die with Rick.

Listening again to RJ, he sounded normal. I think the man had a cold last week so his goal calling sounded really strained. RJ is a WNY and Southern Ontario treasure and hopefully the team can take it easy on him on the long road trips and prolong his career by just having him call part-time. But not at the expense of reversing scores and drooling.

Archived