Demand for Toronto tickets dry up?

PromoTheRobot

Looking at StubHub today there are 1,200 tickets left, most selling at below face. Some selling at less than half face. A weekend Toronto game used to be the toughest ticket in town. That's why the Sabres created the "platinum" price level just for these games. What the heck happened? Is it because the Loafs suck? When has that stopped Canadians before?

PTR

They didn't sellout the Caps game featuring the most dynamic player in the NHL, they are selling 300 level tickets at almost half price for tonight's game against the homegrown superstar(and one of the best teams in the league) and Toronto games are not selling like hotcakes. Keep plugging away with tiered pricing if they must, but try not to let the greed be so ridiculous that you end up with empty seats to games that should otherwise be sold out and played before raucous crowds.

They didn't sellout the Caps game featuring the most dynamic player in the NHL, they are selling 300 level tickets at almost half price for tonight's game against the homegrown superstar(and one of the best teams in the league) and Toronto games are not selling like hotcakes. Keep plugging away with tiered pricing if they must, but try not to let the greed be so ridiculous that you end up with empty seats to games that should otherwise be sold out and played before raucous crowds.

It's not the pricing. This stuff is happening everywhere.

Looking at StubHub today there are 1,200 tickets left, most selling at below face. Some selling at less than half face. A weekend Toronto game used to be the toughest ticket in town. That's why the Sabres created the "platinum" price level just for these games. What the heck happened? Is it because the Loafs suck? When has that stopped Canadians before?

PTR

If I sell my seats to that game for 50% of face value, I'm still making over 50% ROI.

And this game's price is jacked up over 30% higher than the 1st TO game.

The economy's down, the Loafs are worse than normal, the game is the most expensive regular season game ever, it's December and the lake isn't frozen yet so there could realistically be anywhere from no snow to 2' falling that day, and the game is still a week away. I think that about covers the reasons there are still stubhub tix left.

It's not the pricing. This stuff is happening everywhere.

If it has nothing to do with pricing, how do you explain similar or better crowd numbers for mid-week games against teams that are nowhere near as attractive from a fan standpoint? It's all about pricing! If not, why would anyone choose to attend a game versus Florida on a Wednesday instead of Chicago on a Friday?

Change your title ASAP to Old Grumpy Senile Bastard! :D

I think I went through the five stages of pre-senility.

Denial -- I had to go back to the boxscore to make sure it didn't actually say 18,982.

Anger -- I "punched" my nfreeman "doll."

Bargaining -- If I offer LB sexual favors, will he say someone hacked into my account?

Depression -- I didn't post for 28 minutes.

Acceptance -- I'm there.

If it has nothing to do with pricing, how do you explain similar or better crowd numbers for mid-week games against teams that are nowhere near as attractive from a fan standpoint? It's all about pricing! If not, why would anyone choose to attend a game versus Florida on a Wednesday instead of Chicago on a Friday?

I should have said it has little to do with the pricing. But anyway, you can call it greed all you want, but they're in it to make money and that's exactly what they're doing under this system. As a fan, what would you rather see, a full house each night thanks to cheaper tickets or the occasional low attendance thanks to the team actually making some money? Keep in mind that those cheap tickets and sell outs probably leaves you with a salary floor team, while the other method might actually lead to a team willing to spend on some players. Is it ideal? No, but it is what it is.

The problem is the pricing. A 300-level seat for a regular season game never should be $79. The Sabres make it extremely cheap (in comparison) to buy season tickets; my 100-level seats cost $50 per seat per game (I share with a coworker). But the "face value" of some of the tickets is over $160. That's insane. Initially, they were making it easy for season ticket holders to sell some inventory, but I think most of Buffalo has caught on by now.

And now, the Sabres themselves are competing with their season ticket holders by offering the unsold seats at half of face value.

I love tiered pricing. But let's be a little reasonable about the spread between a "value" game and a "platinum" game.

The problem is the pricing. A 300-level seat for a regular season game never should be $79. The Sabres make it extremely cheap (in comparison) to buy season tickets; my 100-level seats cost $50 per seat per game (I share with a coworker). But the "face value" of some of the tickets is over $160. That's insane. Initially, they were making it easy for season ticket holders to sell some inventory, but I think most of Buffalo has caught on by now.

And now, the Sabres themselves are competing with their season ticket holders by offering the unsold seats at half of face value.

I love tiered pricing. But let's be a little reasonable about the spread between a "value" game and a "platinum" game.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Archived