Does Darcy ever really listen to what Lindy is saying?

LabattBlue

From todays Buffalo News...

Connolly, who has scored in just one of the last 17 games, and Roy seemed to draw the bulk of Ruff's ire for their lack of production from the center slot. The Sabres had just 12 shots on goal in the first two periods Monday before the offense showed some life in the final 20 minutes after New Jersey had opened its three-goal lead.

"I think Tim is hoping for a little bit more ice at times and there is no ice," Ruff said. "You have to take what's given to you. His responsibility is to get pucks to the net on the power play and he wasn't very good at that last night.

"We need our top guys to be our top guys. He's one of our top guys. He can't run and hide from that. Derek Roy is one of our top guys, [Pominville] is in that category. Those guys have to push through and make a difference."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/887892.html

Do the Sabres always have to be dictated to? Is there no coaching response to what the Devils were coaching? None whatsoever?

It just feels like Ruff throws up his hands before selected games, and the players follow suit.

This probably goes back to the lack of innovation comment the other day.

Now, if it's true that New Jersey and other teams utilize a defensive scheme that cannot be answered (I doubt it), maybe the league should step in and make such schemes illegal. The NFL and NBA have done it for years to keep scoring up and the games interesting.

Connolly, who has scored in just one of the last 17 games, and Roy seemed to draw the bulk of Ruff's ire for their lack of production from the center slot. The Sabres had just 12 shots on goal in the first two periods Monday before the offense showed some life in the final 20 minutes after New Jersey had opened its three-goal lead.

"I think Tim is hoping for a little bit more ice at times and there is no ice," Ruff said. "You have to take what's given to you. His responsibility is to get pucks to the net on the power play and he wasn't very good at that last night.

"We need our top guys to be our top guys. He's one of our top guys. He can't run and hide from that. Derek Roy is one of our top guys, [Pominville] is in that category. Those guys have to push through and make a difference."

I don't intend to shoot the messenger so please don't take this personal in any way Labatt, but GOD I'm sick of hearing that speech.

Geez Lindy, if that's how you REALLY feel, how about scratching some of these golden boys instead of just talking about it?

If anyone's curious as to where this team learned to talk such a good game, they need look no further than the coach.

Geez Lindy, if that's how you REALLY feel, how about scratching some of these golden boys instead of just talking about it?

Unless Lindy's hands are tied? Who knows what is going on behind the scenes. Personally, as we head towards a 3rd season of "maybe we will make the playoffs/maybe we won't", I am ready to blow it up. It's clear Regier won't get fired in-season, so the choices are player moves or coaching moves.

While I am VERY disappointed in Regier's approach or lack thereof after two seasons of watching the playoffs sans Sabres, by no means am I letting Lindy off the hook completely. This badge of honor aka continuity by keeping the same coach, is clearly not getting it done.

As I stated earlier this season, except for Miller, there is no improvement in the key players from year to year. In some cases, they have regressed significantly. Have these guys really all hit their plateau by their mid 20's?

I had to laugh when my daughter came home from the Kissmas Bash Concert on Sunday and told me that Derek Roy was part of the program. Hey Lindy? Tell me again how much Roy has matured. There is something rotten in the core and it starts with the SGM.

The only untouchables this team has are Miller and Myers. Everybody else SHOULD be fair game if the Sabres had a GM who was not in love with the team he built. If they are going to miss the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row, I don't want to do it with the same rotten core. :angry:

I don't intend to shoot the messenger so please don't take this personal in any way Labatt, but GOD I'm sick of hearing that speech.

If anyone's curious as to where this team learned to talk such a good game, they need look no further than the coach.

YEAH!!!

I just read that Lindy loved Adam Mair's "work ethic" so much the other night (in a game where we didn't score) that he's promoting him to the Vanek line, while again bashing the scorers. Classic Lindy! Make everyone a Lindy!

YEAH!!!

I just read that Lindy loved Adam Mair's "work ethic" so much the other night (in a game where we didn't score) that he's promoting him to the Vanek line, while again bashing the scorers. Classic Lindy! Make everyone a Lindy!

I have no problem with Lindy's praise of Mair, and subsequent "promotion". I wonder if Mair is happy that he has to play with our lazy stars or would rather be down on an energy line?

I've said it before around here, that it isn't just coaching that motivates players, it's the players themselves. They have to be motivated by their inner work ethic and other players. Obviously Lindy has run out of ideas on how to make his scorers play with a work ethic so he figures, hell put them with a less talented ethic guy and see if he can have a positive influence. What else is there to try?

This is why I have such a hard time picking a side in the "it's Lindy's Fault" vs. "It's the Players faults" argument.

It's both.

YEAH!!!

I'm not saying he should do that, I'm just saying he should put his money where his mouth is, regardless what comes out of it.

Otherwise nobody's gonna pay attention after a while. Kinda like the current team.

I'm not saying he should do that, I'm just saying he should put his money where his mouth is, regardless what comes out of it.

Otherwise nobody's gonna pay attention after a while. Kinda like the current team.

They're dressing a defenseman up front because they're too cheap to fly in a forward from the minors. What leverage does Lindy have?

They're dressing a defenseman up front because they're too cheap to fly in a forward from the minors. What leverage does Lindy have?

Do we actually know this for a fact?

Not saying FO doesn't deserve a huge chunk of flak for the current travesty, I'm just saying I'm sick of hearing the same tired old broken record, over and over.

The single biggest problem with that dressing room is there is zero ramifications for dogging it other than Lindy calling you out. The established players are being paid well, will get their ice time, and don't have to worry about being shipped out of town because Darcy doesn't have the balls to trade a "top 6" ( :lol: ) forward.

The single biggest problem with that dressing room is there is zero ramifications for dogging it other than Lindy calling you out. The established players are being paid well, will get their ice time, and don't have to worry about being shipped out of town because Darcy doesn't have the balls to trade a "top 6" ( :lol: ) forward.

How is being traded from Ruff and Buffalo a "ramification"? Some of these guys might be trying to get shipped out. See Vanek.

Do we actually know this for a fact?

Not saying FO doesn't deserve a huge chunk of flak for the current travesty, I'm just saying I'm sick of hearing the same tired old broken record, over and over.

Eleven started it!

Look at video scouting. Was that about improving the scouting department or cutting costs? When the dads went on the trip recently, it was said the Sabres hadn't done it for many years because it costs a lot. Seriously? There's no air fare involved. The plane is already going. Eight hotel rooms for 16 dads and some meals. How much can that cost? And if it has a hockey benefit, as was implied in many stories, is there any cost at all?

The owner is a multi-BILLIONAIRE. What's a couple thou for a fathers trip?

Someone mentioned the ice the other day. Eleven, I do believe. How much would it cost to get the ice in tip top shape for a good skating team like the Sabres?

How much would it cost to put up some decent banners, a la Montreal or Toronto?

The reputation is well-deserved.

Eleven started it!

Look at video scouting. Was that about improving the scouting department or cutting costs? When the dads went on the trip recently, it was said the Sabres hadn't done it for many years because it costs a lot. Seriously? There's no air fare involved. The plane is already going. Eight hotel rooms for 16 dads and some meals. How much can that cost? And if it has a hockey benefit, as was implied in many stories, is there any cost at all?

The owner is a multi-BILLIONAIRE. What's a couple thou for a fathers trip?

Someone mentioned the ice the other day. Eleven, I do believe. How much would it cost to get the ice in tip top shape for a good skating team like the Sabres?

How much would it cost to put up some decent banners, a la Montreal or Toronto?

The reputation is well-deserved.

The team paid for the Dads to fly from where ever they live to meet up with the team, priceline negotiator.

First, I am as much anti TG and LQ as anyone, but the notion that its about the airfare is ridiculous.

However, there are contract and cap constraints to consider. This team is near the cap and you have to take that into account when deciding on roster replacements.

Secondly, is there anyone in Portland that would be a dramatic inprovement over playing a defenseman on the fourth line?

Finally, as to Kristian's question with regard to benching the stars. Again, there are roster limits and cap constraints. You can't just send guys to the press box or down to Portland.

Finally, as to Kristian's question with regard to benching the stars. Again, there are roster limits and cap constraints. You can't just send guys to the press box or down to Portland.

True, and I'm well aware of this, which just makes Lindy's rants on the top 6 guys seem all the more ridiculous. His hands are beyond tied, and everybody knows it.

My guess is Lindy and the team are equally sick of each other.

For Petes sake, they look like they've been playing to get him fired for the past 2½ seasons, and before the lockout, things looked eerily similar, with the team not showing up for games etc.

I'll also bet good money that Quinn's statement that the players had told him Lindy was the guy they wanted to coach them is nothing but LQ BS and spin. I mean, which front office in pro sports asks the players who they want coaching them anyways? I guess if there had to be one, it'd be The Sabres FO, though...

It all boils down to one thing - This organisation seems nowhere near on the same page.

1. Darcy still believes this is the "New NHL", if there ever was such a thing. For whatever reason, he likes this roster.

2. Lindy still can't get his scorers to produce consistently, nor get consistent efforts from his players.

3. The SGM's look as disinterested as any Sabres team in recent years.

The only thing that seems to have changed, is that the Sabres have become spenders again. I know they're not at the limit, but still they're spending a heckuva lot more than the Rigas scum ever did. It's just too bad they're spending it on the wrong players.

...It's just too bad they're spending it on the wrong players.

I have brought this up numerous times over the last couple of years. If they swing and miss on these big contracts it will come back to haunt them. Miller and Roy are the only guys playing close to the money they are being paid(and even with that being said, Roy can be maddening). The rest of the 3+ mil fun bunch(Hecht, Rivet, Pominville, Vanek & Connolly) are stealing money at this point and the sad part is that it doesn't appear to bother them at all.

I have brought this up numerous times over the last couple of years. If they swing and miss on these big contracts it will come back to haunt them. Miller and Roy are the only guys playing close to the money they are being paid(and even with that being said, Roy can be maddening). The rest of the 3+ mil fun bunch(Hecht, Rivet, Pominville, Vanek & Connolly) are stealing money at this point and the sad part is that it doesn't appear to bother them at all.

I'd have to disagree with most of that. I don't have time now to write it out, but players want to win.

How is being traded from Ruff and Buffalo a "ramification"? Some of these guys might be trying to get shipped out. See Vanek.

A lot of these guys love Buffalo and have become too comfortable. How is Hecht still a #%^$#!ing Sabre? Pomminstein hasn't made a big play in 3 years. The only guy playing what his is worth is Miller.

A lot of these guys love Buffalo and have become too comfortable. How is Hecht still a #%^$#!ing Sabre? Pomminstein hasn't made a big play in 3 years. The only guy playing what his is worth is Miller.

Hecht is signed to a nearly untradeable contract. Get used to him. He is not going anywhere.

True, and I'm well aware of this, which just makes Lindy's rants on the top 6 guys seem all the more ridiculous. His hands are beyond tied, and everybody knows it.

My guess is Lindy and the team are equally sick of each other.

For Petes sake, they look like they've been playing to get him fired for the past 2½ seasons, and before the lockout, things looked eerily similar, with the team not showing up for games etc.

I'll also bet good money that Quinn's statement that the players had told him Lindy was the guy they wanted to coach them is nothing but LQ BS and spin. I mean, which front office in pro sports asks the players who they want coaching them anyways? I guess if there had to be one, it'd be The Sabres FO, though...

It all boils down to one thing - This organisation seems nowhere near on the same page.

1. Darcy still believes this is the "New NHL", if there ever was such a thing. For whatever reason, he likes this roster.

2. Lindy still can't get his scorers to produce consistently, nor get consistent efforts from his players.

3. The SGM's look as disinterested as any Sabres team in recent years.

The only thing that seems to have changed, is that the Sabres have become spenders again. I know they're not at the limit, but still they're spending a heckuva lot more than the Rigas scum ever did. It's just too bad they're spending it on the wrong players.

The Rigas scum were pretty big spenders a few of those years. In fact, it might be a long time before the Sabres see another 9 million a year player, and Hasek was that. Not to pick at this scab again, but Rigas was a decent owner. If the Sabres had won a Cup in 99, I guess some of you would have wanted it returned after the fact, 'cause of the dirty money and all. I always had the feeling Rigas was keenly interested in the Sabres and perhaps even loved them. Anyone want to say that about OSP? Before the scam was revealed, the reviews of the Rigas ownership were pretty positive. I have historical revisionism.

The Rigas scum were pretty big spenders a few of those years. In fact, it might be a long time before the Sabres see another 9 million a year player, and Hasek was that. Not to pick at this scab again, but Rigas was a decent owner. If the Sabres had won a Cup in 99, I guess some of you would have wanted it returned after the fact, 'cause of the dirty money and all. I always had the feeling Rigas was keenly interested in the Sabres and perhaps even loved them. Anyone want to say that about OSP? Before the scam was revealed, the reviews of the Rigas ownership were pretty positive. I have historical revisionism.

Did Hasek's 9 mill. a year deal ever kick in? Wasn't it a 9 mill. option, that could've been excersised after the 00-01 season, which is why he threatened to retire if the Sabres didn't trade him? I'm not disputing facts, I'm asking.

Regardless what Hasek was being paid, they chose to penny-pinch with remainder of the roster, with Peca being the prime example.

I'll admit 3.5 for Peca seemed somewhat steep at the time, seeing what Jere Lehtinen was being paid with the Stars.

The big problem with that comparison though is that there are very few similarities between the two, except a few Selke trophies.

So I would agree, the Rigases did spend. On Hasek, and nobody else.

If I recall correctly, the reviews started to turn for the worse when the "tools needed to get the job done" were lost in delivery.

As Kristian states, they paid Hasek and no one else, much lie when Ralph gave Simpson the loot and screwed the rest of the team.

Archived