Pat Quinn is still a knucklehead

North Buffalo

After watching the play in slow motion, Mac had the puck and tried to cut around Reddox but hit it too far away. Reddox undercut Mac to try and get the puck out going towards the boards. Mac lowered his shoulder to try and stave him off but ended up hitting Reddox in the back and then they both went into the boards awkwardly. The moves happened very fast and there was no way that was intentional especially after Macs reaction.

Quinn was a bad coach in TO and obviously isn't doing much better in Edmonton.

For the best view go to .45 sec if of the UTube video:

After watching the play in slow motion, Mac had the puck and tried to cut around Reddox but hit it too far away. Reddox undercut Mac to try and get the puck out going towards the boards. Mac lowered his shoulder to try and stave him off but ended up hitting Reddox in the back and then they both went into the boards awkwardly. The moves happened very fast and there was no way that was intentional especially after Macs reaction.

Quinn was a bad coach in TO and obviously isn't doing much better in Edmonton.

For the best view go to .45 sec if of the UTube video:

Thanks for the link. I wanted to see a replay before commenting on the hit. No doubt, the hit was intentional. The result probably wasn't, especially given Mac's spotless reputation, but he needs to avoid making that hit. And that hit needs to be out of the game. I won't get upset over a 2 or 3 game suspension. Anything more than that, and I'm wondering if the league looks at everyone the same way.

Every time there is a puck along the boards and two guys are going for it, they bump to gain position before they get there. Every time. I think this is exactly what Mac thought was going to happen. For some reason, right when this would normally have happened, Reddox decided to duck down and turn his back to Mac. He was almost skating backwards when he got hit. It was absolutely a stupid move on his part. This is the NHL. You play the man, not the puck. IMO the penalty was served, there shouldn't be a suspension.

Thanks for the link. I wanted to see a replay before commenting on the hit. No doubt, the hit was intentional. The result probably wasn't, especially given Mac's spotless reputation, but he needs to avoid making that hit. And that hit needs to be out of the game. I won't get upset over a 2 or 3 game suspension. Anything more than that, and I'm wondering if the league looks at everyone the same way.

I would agree with you on the suspension, but for two things:

- Do we really think that players, in the heat of play, are thinking gotta get that puck, oh wait, the other guy is there, I better watch out lest I get suspended? (This gets down to the 'intent' discussion on the GDT and Roby's spiel in the 2nd intermission) If this were an accident, as MacArthur's reaction seemed to imply, how does one legislate/punish accidents out of the game? If you figure that out, keep it a secret and consult for every company I've ever worked for about getting rid of workplace accidents.

- If Richards doesn't get a suspension for (apparently) purposely taking the head a few weeks ago, how do you suspend for an accident?

A little common sense. Thank you. Intent to injure? Probably not. (But these guys are so good, intent to injure could easily be masked. Hi d4rk!) Intent to hit the guy -- of course. How else did it happen?

I would agree with you on the suspension, but for two things:

- Do we really think that players, in the heat of play, are thinking gotta get that puck, oh wait, the other guy is there, I better watch out lest I get suspended? (This gets down to the 'intent' discussion on the GDT and Roby's spiel in the 2nd intermission) If this were an accident, as MacArthur's reaction seemed to imply, how does one legislate/punish accidents out of the game? If you figure that out, keep it a secret and consult for every company I've ever worked for about getting rid of workplace accidents.

- If Richards doesn't get a suspension for (apparently) purposely taking the head a few weeks ago, how do you suspend for an accident?

1. I think players should be thinking that, and if they're not, suspensions are one way to get them to start thinking that.

2. Whether the league made a mistake by failing to suspend Richards a few weeks ago has nothing to do with whether it should take action now. Yeah, Richards should have been suspended. I guess that's why if Mac is suspended for anything longer than three games, I'm going to wonder whether the league looks at everyone the same way.

1. I think players should be thinking that, and if they're not, suspensions are one way to get them to start thinking that.

So if the DMV decrees that anyone sliding their car off the road in the winter loses their license, it won't happen any more?

"A player should have an ability to anticipate a hit, prepare for a hit or avoid a hit," Toronto GM Brian Burke said. "If he doesn't have those, then I think the onus has to shift to the hitter. He's got to deliver a safe hit."

This recently said by "the Man" at the GM's meeting. The Oiler had all three. The penalty and game misconduct I'd agree with but not a suspension in this case.

No one has called Lindy or Mac, so looks like it's all over with.

"A player should have an ability to anticipate a hit, prepare for a hit or avoid a hit," Toronto GM Brian Burke said. "If he doesn't have those, then I think the onus has to shift to the hitter. He's got to deliver a safe hit."

This recently said by "the Man" at the GM's meeting. The Oiler had all three. The penalty and game misconduct I'd agree with but not a suspension in this case.

No one has called Lindy or Mac, so looks like it's all over with.

Hey, it's horrible analogy day!

"A citizen should have an ability to anticipate a mugging, prepare for a mugging or avoid a mugging," police chief H. Bugsy Malone said. "If he doesn't have those, then I think the onus has to shift to the mugger."

Hey, it's horrible analogy day!

"A citizen should have an ability to anticipate a mugging, prepare for a mugging or avoid a mugging," police chief H. Bugsy Malone said. "If he doesn't have those, then I think the onus has to shift to the mugger."

You would need to add the last part "He's got to deliver a safe mugging." ;)

TSN announcer: "This is the second time in 3 games since his recall that he's been hit like this."

Dude, keep yourself straight along the boards.

This one is a fine line. The responsibility falls on the guy whos in position to finish the check. And of course, Reddox has every right to turn his body, knowing contact is coming, and lower his entire upper body pointed toward the boards while playing the puck. Really, players are taught at an early age how to position themselves along the boards to prevent this from happening. Its kind of akin to handling the puck with your head down.

As for suspensions????

What is Mac thinking at that point? If he's going to make contact there are 100 different possible outcomes. Reddox could turn harmlessly up ice, be strong on his skates and stop, extend his arms to brace himself, Just so happens Reddox did none of those things and it ended badly. It wasnt exactly the most malicious looking intent. Sekera got away with one with much more force earlier in the night, but nothing was called because the player on the boards wasn bending over.

All hits TO the head should be disciplined as well as obvious hits from behind. This is not so obvious IMO.

5 minute major at the tail end of a 1 goal game and a misconduct. SwampD is right, penalty served.

Every time there is a puck along the boards and two guys are going for it, they bump to gain position before they get there. Every time. I think this is exactly what Mac thought was going to happen. For some reason, right when this would normally have happened, Reddox decided to duck down and turn his back to Mac. He was almost skating backwards when he got hit. It was absolutely a stupid move on his part. This is the NHL. You play the man, not the puck. IMO the penalty was served, there shouldn't be a suspension.

Wow! What's next? He reached back and grabbed MacArthur's arm and pushed himself into the boards. WTF!

Bertuzzi crippled a guy intentionally and got what? 30 games? Sorry son, the least credible source on a hit being worthy of a suspension in the NHL.

You are absolutely right. In this case though, I still think that Reddox's brain wrote a check that his body couldn't cash, and that is why there was no suspension. Yes, I'm blaming the "victim".

You are absolutely right. In this case though, I still think that Reddox's brain wrote a check that his body couldn't cash, and that is why there was no suspension. Yes, I'm blaming the "victim".

And if Reddox was wearing a Sabre jersey and MacArthur was an Oiler your opinion would be completely different.

Archived