How many guys while playing for the Sabres, would you call "superstars"

LabattBlue

Which players that wore the Blue and Gold would have been considered NHL "Superstars"(I'm talking elite!) during their time here...

IMO, no brainers...

Perreault

LaFontaine

Hasek

Housley(despite how bad he sucked in his own end)

Hawerchuk

Debatable...

Mogilny

Martin

Gare

Robert

Andreychuk

Current Sabres...

No one even close(This is what got me thinking about this thread)

PS While I was looking at stats on Robert on hockeydb.com, I noticed that he is listed at 5'9". Is that right? I watched him thoughout his career here and I would have bet money that he was more like 5'11" or 6'0".

Like a lot of things, it seems like the word "superstar" has been watered down. A superstar is a household name, someone opposing fans would pay to see. Orr. Gretzky. Lemieux. Ovechkin. And so on. Only Dom would be on my list -- and he'd be a superstar of a lesser order, IMHO.

Like a lot of things, it seems like the word "superstar" has been watered down. A superstar is a household name, someone opposing fans would pay to see. Orr. Gretzky. Lemieux. Ovechkin. And so on. Only Dom would be on my list -- and he'd be a superstar of a lesser order, IMHO.

I'd agree with that definition. Using that, I'd put Gilbert, Dom, and Patty in the category. I'd add Ducks because he was a guaranteed HoF'er and wasn't far removed from his prime. And I'd expect Martin snuck into that category of being someone opposing fans would pay to see because he was teamed w/ #11.

I'd expect Mogilny just missed that category because he only had the 1 killer season. But I could see where he'd be included on some lists.

I can't put Housley in that category because although Moe-ray-all fans paid good money to watch him set up Richer at least once per game, I don't think that's exactly what you and Labatt's meant when talking about "someone opposing fans would pay to see."

I don't think anyone else meets the criteria, although Fuhr still had the big name that might get him snuck into the list.

Was Turgeon ever a superstar even in the hockey sense?

No.

I would say none of the players are superstars currently(vanek,miller are the closest). The idea itself is kind of funny though. We think of people we would want to see play as superstars but I also see superstars in the way of attention.

People like Neil and Avery, who we all have talked about at one point or another, have the attention of the rest of the league not because of their offensive prowess but because of their ability to throw off everyone else. They aren't players that I want to go watch play, but they are always players that have a lot of attention.

Just my useless 2 cents.

Edited to make it right...

Which players that wore the Blue and Gold would have been considered NHL "Superstars"(I'm talking elite!) during their time here...

IMO, no brainers...

Perreault

LaFontaine

Hasek

Housley(despite how bad he sucked in his own end)

Hawerchuk

Martin

Mogilny (76 goals in a season is NOT debatable!)

Debatable...

Mogilny

Martin

Gare

Robert

Andreychuk

Housley

Current Sabres...

In the "Debatable" category:

Vanek

Current Sabres...

How many true superstars are in the league? Ovechkin, Crosby, ...

Depending on where you draw the line, there are a lot of teams without one. Pittsburgh may have two.

I think it is a tough question because "household name" is a relative term in hockey ... in most of the U.S., there might be 5 hockey superstars EVER ... Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux .... MAYBE ... in Canada, most every guy on your list is a "household name" .... in the mid-70s, Perreault was the highest-paid player in the game and definitely worth the price of admission.

I remember when realized how respected Perreault was in Canada ... it was like 1998 or 1999 and I was watching the hockey hall of fame induction ceremony in Toronto and they showed this video montage type deal of all the greats ... and just random in the middle they showed Perreault going end-to-end for like 3 seconds ... and the place went CRAZY .... and then quieted down again for the rest. He got the biggest cheer in the whole thing, you would have thought it was in Buffalo. Granted, I'm not claiming Bert was on a level with Gretzky, Howe, Orr, Lemieux or even guys like Messier, Clarke, etc. who led their teams to championships ... but in terms of the "someone opposing fans would pay to see" definition, he compares to anyone.

I agree with the changes Eleven made to the list. Mogilny for a couple years was awesome. The French Connection was worth paying to see, but Perrault was the main draw. I would move Hawerchuk and Housley off the list too.

Although he scores a lot, none of Vanek's goals make the top ten plays of the week (let alone of the day) so I don't think he is even close.

I think there are only three in the game today: Broduer, Crosby, and Ovechkin.

As for the Sabres, I agree with bottlecap; Hasek and Perreault are the only ones.

Archived