Outlook on 09-10 season

Cereal

Things have been a bit dull here the past couple weeks. I mean, I am a strong recycling advocate, but..

I feel like I'm going to be even less excited for the start of the season than last year. Don't get me wrong... It's always exciting for hockey to start back up again, but the 'hopeful' factor was pretty low last year, and as of now that factor is significantly lower (than last year). Maybe we'll be surprised and we'll get a deal like we've been waiting for; but, camp opens up in in what - 2, 3 weeks? And nothing's happened in awhile here. I guess I went into the summer hoping they'd shake things up more in the first two lines (I was particularly hoping to see Roy traded while his value is relatively high)... you know send a message, do something different. What's going to be different this season?

I start with the same optimism I start every season with. The first few weeks are essential. Playing well begets winning. Winning begets a winning culture. Winning begets more winning... The Sabres have enough talent to be competitive. The only question is how competitive. Win early and this could be an interesting season.

I'm not getting my hopes up for a playoff appearance this year unless DR pull off a trade involving Tallinder, Hecht or one of the top 6 forwards(actually only 5 as I don't think there is another forward who should be on the top 2 lines besides Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Stafford and Connolly).

Some of the depth moves for Portland are what they are and Mike Grier is a nice plus, but what changed on the team that is going to get them out of a playoff hiatus that is 2 years and running?

I'm not getting my hopes up for a playoff appearance this year unless DR pull off a trade involving Tallinder, Hecht or one of the top 6 forwards(actually only 5 as I don't think there is another forward who should be on the top 2 lines besides Roy, Vanek, Pominville, Stafford and Connolly).

Some of the depth moves for Portland are what they are and Mike Grier is a nice plus, but what changed on the team that is going to get them out of a playoff hiatus that is 2 years and running?

Maybe the Jack Adams winner who is adored in Buffalo, for whom, according to many fans, there is no better replacement in all of hockey, should coach the m-effin team into the playoffs!

I'd say I'd love for the Sabres to make the playoffs, but it'll be a hard battle.

What I'd like to see this year

Vanek to score 50 goals

Pominville to hit someone. Hard.

Connolly to last the whole season and average a point per game (just to piss off Deluca :w00t: )

Hecht to be gone before the deadline.

Gerbe to come up and play like he's done in the minors.

Butler, Sekera, Myers and Weber to get ice time and keep progressing.

Lindy to play the back up goalie more often.

Grier to give some leadership to this team.

Paille to step up or step out.

Lydman and Tallinder to play for 10-11 contracts, just not here.

Now if all this were to happen we just might make the playoffs, but we know this world ain't perfect.

I think we're definitely going to see a more physical team this year. Montador and Grier are good additions in my opinion, and Rivet will be nice and healed up. I think we're going to see Gaustad play better, with the influence of the other hard nosed guys on the bench. Hopefully Mair will do the same. I think we'll see Vanek, Miller and Connolly dazzle us, especially if they stay healthy. I think Chris Butler will emerge as a very important part of our defense, as well as Sekera. This year's team is better than last year. I'm not going to miss Spacek even though I like him, we have better replacements. I'm not getting overly excited about this year, but I think the Sabres will at least make the playoffs.

Maybe the Jack Adams winner who is adored in Buffalo, for whom, according to many fans, there is no better replacement in all of hockey, should coach the m-effin team into the playoffs!

Maybe he would if his GM would stop flooding his roster with 4th liners and sub-AHL talent. :thumbsup:

I think we're definitely going to see a more physical team this year. Montador and Grier are good additions in my opinion, and Rivet will be nice and healed up. I think we're going to see Gaustad play better, with the influence of the other hard nosed guys on the bench. Hopefully Mair will do the same. I think we'll see Vanek, Miller and Connolly dazzle us, especially if they stay healthy. I think Chris Butler will emerge as a very important part of our defense, as well as Sekera. This year's team is better than last year. I'm not going to miss Spacek even though I like him, we have better replacements. I'm not getting overly excited about this year, but I think the Sabres will at least make the playoffs.

I think everyone has got to be looking forward to being a playoff team - and more importantly - a much more physical team. I, too, think booth Goose and Mair will only be more aggresive since they will not be the only ones expected to hit. And for all of the overhaul up in Montreal - and lots of not much here - the Hockey News puts Buffalo ahead of the Habs. Baseball to me is a yawner, so I can't wait for the start of the NHL.

I think everyone has got to be looking forward to being a playoff team - and more importantly - a much more physical team. I, too, think booth Goose and Mair will only be more aggresive since they will not be the only ones expected to hit. And for all of the overhaul up in Montreal - and lots of not much here - the Hockey News puts Buffalo ahead of the Habs. Baseball to me is a yawner, so I can't wait for the start of the NHL.

Archived