[OT] No Reservations show in Buffalo

Barnabov

Anyone catch that "No Reservations" show Rust Belt episode featuring Buffalo. They visited Ulrichs for beer & wings, Schwabl's for beef on weck and I think some other place I can't remember.

Any other places people on the board recommended to try on future visits to Buffalo?

Anyone catch that "No Reservations" show Rust Belt episode featuring Buffalo. They visited Ulrichs for beer & wings, Schwabl's for beef on weck and I think some other place I can't remember.

Any other places people on the board recommended to try on future visits to Buffalo?

Nietzsche's was the other place--if you're not familiar with it, it's live music seven nights a week, usually a modest cover, good bar, no food, and no plastic (cash only). It's in Allen Street, roughly across the street from the place where many of us lost our alcoholic virginity, Mulligan's Brick Bar.

No Reservations, generally, is a show I like to watch. The host, Anthony Bourdain, really loved Buffalo, which comes out in at least one other episode: Buffalo was the runner up in Bourdain's contest to see which viewer could most inspire him to come to his/her community. Jedda, Saudi Arabia, is the city that won. So this global traveler was so freaking fascinated with our community that we barely--read on--got beat out by an city that is the financial capital of an exotic kingdom halfway around the globe. Anyway, in the beginning of that episode, he looks at his hostess, and says, "Hey, I was THIS CLOSE [hand gesture] to being in Buffalo right now...what do you have that's so special?" or something like that.

REALLY cool that he decided to come here anyway, and in February, to boot. Several newspapers covered his favorable look at our kickass city, and I've seen at least one show about his show where he discussed Buffalo for quite a bit. We've got a new fan.

Oh, and ON EDIT: Happy to recommend places for your next trip, but what do you like to eat, and what types of restaurants do you like to go to?

On double-dare EDIT: Travel Channel is repeating the show with Buffalo in it quite frequently; if you live(d) here, you'll definitely enjoy it. Buffalo is featured in the first minute and last 15-20 minutes of the show, if you're recording it.

The atmosphere at Schwabl's (servers all wearing white uniforms, birch beer on tap, 40's vibe) is very cool and their beef on weck is good. However, I've always preferred Eckl's for beef on weck - the beef is better and the place is bigger than Schwabl's so it's easier to get a table during busy times. I've been going there since 1974 - they decorate the place for every possible holiday. (You should see the place around Halloween or Christmas). Eckl's is in Orchard Park, NY just a stone's throw from the Orchard Park Country Club.

Downtown, there are old stand-bys like Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street. Decent food, great wings and sort of an eclectic crowd. Coulter Bay is close to Gabriels Gate, also has decent food and has a pretty strong selection of draft microbrews.

Well, there are dozens more places but as Eleven points out, it depends on what you like to eat and what kind of places you prefer.

Oh, and ON EDIT: Happy to recommend places for your next trip, but what do you like to eat, and what types of restaurants do you like to go to?

Eleven- thanks for the reply and further details. The Saudi show was the first episode I ever watched and his interest in Buffalo is probably why I watched another.

Unfortunately being a late comer to getting to know Buffalo (a 20 mile trip to Ithaca was considered a major journey growing up so no way did we travel 120 to Buffalo), I'm pretty clueless about what it has to offer beyond EB Greens & HSBC so would be cool to hear what the must try places and Buffalo traditions are (any type of food or restaurant is good). We did go eat at the Anchor Bar once but I know there has to be dozens of other even better options for wings, beer or even steak (EB Greens is the closest we can come to what we get in Kansas City).

So, thanks for any recommendations and will put those on our list for future visits to Buffalo.

The atmosphere at Schwabl's (servers all wearing white uniforms, birch beer on tap, 40's vibe) is very cool and their beef on weck is good. However, I've always preferred Eckl's for beef on weck - the beef is better and the place is bigger than Schwabl's so it's easier to get a table during busy times. I've been going there since 1974 - they decorate the place for every possible holiday. (You should see the place around Halloween or Christmas). Eckl's is in Orchard Park, NY just a stone's throw from the Orchard Park Country Club.

Downtown, there are old stand-bys like Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street. Decent food, great wings and sort of an eclectic crowd. Coulter Bay is close to Gabriels Gate, also has decent food and has a pretty strong selection of draft microbrews.

Well, there are dozens more places but as Eleven points out, it depends on what you like to eat and what kind of places you prefer.

Hey thanks too for these recommendations...

Hey thanks too for these recommendations...

If you're looking for a good steak, try the Buffalo Chop House. BUT, bring $$$$ - they are pricey. Beer? Pearl Street Grill (they brew their own and have lots of other choices). Wings? Almost every restaurant in Buffalo has at least decent wings. Try the aformentioned Gabriel's Gate or Duff's.

OK, I've just managed to make myself really hungry - I'm logging off to go get some lunch.... :thumbsup:

Eleven- thanks for the reply and further details. The Saudi show was the first episode I ever watched and his interest in Buffalo is probably why I watched another.

Unfortunately being a late comer to getting to know Buffalo (a 20 mile trip to Ithaca was considered a major journey growing up so no way did we travel 120 to Buffalo), I'm pretty clueless about what it has to offer beyond EB Greens & HSBC so would be cool to hear what the must try places and Buffalo traditions are (any type of food or restaurant is good). We did go eat at the Anchor Bar once but I know there has to be dozens of other even better options for wings, beer or even steak (EB Greens is the closest we can come to what we get in Kansas City).

So, thanks for any recommendations and will put those on our list for future visits to Buffalo.

I'll leave it to others to turn it into a chicken wing thread. IMO, EB Green's is the best steakhouse in Buffalo, and it probably is not as good as what you get in KC. I've heard great things about Fiamma Steakhouse on Hertel Avenue, but I've never eaten there.

It seems from your EB Green's remark that you're not averse to spending a bit on dinner, so if you're looking for non-steakhouse fine dining, I highly recommend Hutch's (modern American, on Delaware Ave.), Bacchus (modern American, Chippewa Street), Ristorante Lombardo (modern Italian, Hertel) or Rue Franklin (French, and just where a place by that name should be, on Franklin Street).

A little less expensive, but still fantastic: Left Bank on Rhode Island Street (modern Southern European), City Grill (modern American), just a few blocks away from the Arena on Main, and incredibly popular on game nights, and Curly's (Lackawanna, American-Caribbean).

I see this becoming another chiken wing thread pissing contest.

Not that I mind.

Queue the "Anchor Bar sucks post" in 1...2...3

What do you think this is; twobillsdrive? We're complaining about steak and beef on weck on this board, buster! ;)

I've been through that area more times than I can count but have never noticed a place with that name. Where exactly is it? I might have to make that drive when I'm back in December (stupid me for not reading this thread last week when I was in town).

I've been through that area more times than I can count but have never noticed a place with that name. Where exactly is it? I might have to make that drive when I'm back in December (stupid me for not reading this thread last week when I was in town).

http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/map/460631/restaurant/Buffalo/Eckls-Beef-Weck-Orchard-Park

Left Bank is truly a great place to dine - however, its popularity has made getting a reservation more difficult. The "normal" dinner hours (6:00- 8:00) are booked sometimes weeks in advance. Just plan ahead...and enjoy!

One more place that I haven't seen mentioned yet. It's in an odd location, but if you like Italian that tastes like home-cooked, Mulberry in Lackawanna is pretty darn good. It's on a side street off Route 5 (Jackson Ave.) in Bethlehem Park (so called because of the proximity to the former Bethlehem Steel plant, now Mittal).

Really, for a metro area of Buffalo's size, there are a lot of very good quality restaurants around. Everyone has their favorite(s), but there always seems to be one more that hasn't been tried yet.

:D

Archived