Mbossy

Sabres #13  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What will it be?

• Defenseman
    • Forward
    • Gritty
    • same ol' same ol'

Seeing as threads are all over the place (yeah I'm relatively new, but) I figured like most things around here one long thread on subject is an easier read.

We could post the picks here too?

Will the Sabres take a "Kassian" if able? or the big d-man if able? or go for the Roy type player?

Will Burke be able to trade up like he wants? (IMO, nope)

Will Tavares go first? (IMHO, yup)

It's going to be a best available pick. They really need to start rebuilding the offensive depth, but if they see what they think is a can't miss d-man on the board, I have no problem with making that pick. Any of the D currently in the system could be used as trade bait at any point, so get what you think is the best value.

Why talk about the need for offensive depth and toughness, current needs, when none of the players drafted will help now? Look into your crystal balls and see where the need will be in four or five years. :)

I think that's why best available talent is the way to go.

Why talk about the need for offensive depth and toughness, current needs, when none of the players drafted will help now? Look into your crystal balls and see where the need will be in four or five years. :)

I feel the Sabres need an identity. Part of which is drafting players who fit what you want your team to become. Is Brian Burke going to draft the most skilled player or is he going to draft players who fit his idea of what being a Toronto Maple Leaf will be about under his watch? Does Detroit draft the most talented available or do they find players that fit their system. You can't change a direction of a team and still draft using the same old failed theories. The proof is in the results. 5 out of 7 years without playoffs. Teams that draft well shouldn't go through such stretches.

TSN's got a story up now, speculating what Tampa Bay will do. I love how that three ring circus put on by their ownership actually makes this a legitimate question. Let's see, a team with absolutely no defense picking second overall. It's a no-brainer, but I could see them screwing that up.

I feel the Sabres need an identity. Part of which is drafting players who fit what you want your team to become. Is Brian Burke going to draft the most skilled player or is he going to draft players who fit his idea of what being a Toronto Maple Leaf will be about under his watch? Does Detroit draft the most talented available or do they find players that fit their system. You can't change a direction of a team and still draft using the same old failed theories. The proof is in the results. 5 out of 7 years without playoffs. Teams that draft well shouldn't go through such stretches.

I think best available talent (that fits your system) is implied.

TSN's got a story up now, speculating what Tampa Bay will do. I love how that three ring circus put on by their ownership actually makes this a legitimate question. Let's see, a team with absolutely no defense picking second overall. It's a no-brainer, but I could see them screwing that up.

The Sabres have a lot of young defensemen. Maybe the Sabres could shock the world and pull off a trade to move up. :thumbsup:

The Sabres have a lot of young defensemen. Maybe the Sabres could shock the world and pull off a trade to move up. :thumbsup:

I can't see us having the value it would take to make that move. But then again, I'm also not so sure that Tampa has any idea what they're doing.

I'm just excited about the Sabres draft party at the Albright Knox. Inflatables AND crafts, two of things I keep busy with here at Darlingwood.

But how often do you hear "free parking" and Sabres in the same sentence?

The Darren Drager chat over at tsn.ca has mention of Zack Kassian.

Chris Martel in Montreal: Hi Darren, do you think Phil Kessel will be back in Beantown next season, or will Boston use him to move up in the draft? I hear that they're looking at Zack Kassian!

Darren Dreger: Chris, Kassian's name has been brought up a lot in Montreal. Boston has options and I believe in the right scenario Peter Chiarelli would consider trading Phil Kessel. As you know, in a salary cap system, you can?t keep everyone. The recent signing of David Krecji provided an indication that Kessel may be the odd man out. Kessel will fetch good return and I?m sure Chiarelli will get some offers in Montreal.

Other interesting items over at tsn.ca:

The Florida Panthers are closing in on dealing star defenceman Jay Bouwmeester's negotiating rights.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have received what the team considers to be a significant offer for defenceman Tomas Kaberle.

In theory, yes. But, hey. We're talking about the Sabres Front Office as opposed to teams that are less than 400 miles away who have actually done something to bring home the Cup.

But how often do you hear "free parking" and Sabres in the same sentence?

Kidding aside, and I know you were responding to PA, I really think it's a brilliant move to have the draft party at the Albright-Knox. It's cross-selling; let the arty folks experience something about hockey, and let the hockey folks see the world-class modern art gallery (the gallery isn't modern; the art is). I'm not able to go, but that's going to be a fun event in a great atmosphere.

My dream pick remains Zach Kassian. I really hope we can land this kid somehow with the 13th. If he's gone before, i really want Dimitri Kulikov. Strong d-men, can hit, great skater. Maybe the best skater in this draft. High hockey IQ.

If Kulikov is still available at 13 I think it would be mad not to take him.

He'll be playing in the NHL 2 years before Kassian.

I say that take the best forward available. I can see them making a trade to get back in the second round as well. DR might not want to make any big FA splashes but he is no stranger to Draft day shenanagans.

Agree with the 2 above on best available. The teams that win SC's and current FO has made it clear that the draft is the way to go to build your team so is there really any other choice.

Question is as posed in Draft History thread by That Aud smell are we able to pick the best early ?

The Darren Drager chat over at tsn.ca has mention of Zack Kassian.

Chris Martel in Montreal: Hi Darren, do you think Phil Kessel will be back in Beantown next season, or will Boston use him to move up in the draft? I hear that they're looking at Zack Kassian!

Darren Dreger: Chris, Kassian's name has been brought up a lot in Montreal. Boston has options and I believe in the right scenario Peter Chiarelli would consider trading Phil Kessel. As you know, in a salary cap system, you can?t keep everyone. The recent signing of David Krecji provided an indication that Kessel may be the odd man out. Kessel will fetch good return and I?m sure Chiarelli will get some offers in Montreal.

So to continue with this idea:

BRUINS OFFER KESSEL TO LEAFS FOR KABERLE AND NO. 7 PICK

Then do the Bruins use that 7th pick to pick Kassian or do they use that 7th and their 25th to move up further in the draft. Or do they actually have to include their 25th pick in the trade to Toronto?

What would the Sabres have to give up to get Kessel?

Archived