Lindy named Coach of the World

Hawk

good to see they didn't hold this team of players that could care less about winning against him, and that they recognize just how good of a coach he really is. IMHO, if Ruff is fired it would be one of the biggest mistakes this team has ever made---right up there with letting Drury walk. You can only show horses to water, you can't make them drink. This team night in and night out is prepared very well, and at the end of the day it is up to them to execute properly. This team is in desperate, desperate need of about 2 or 3 more guys who will come in and just pin guys to their locker and demand an explanation when they start doing their own thing instead of what Ruff wants them to do.

Congrats to him on this honor.

However, I'm going back and forth currently with how I view him.

These last two games may have really shown that perhaps Lindy wasn't structuring the team the correct way for much of the season. For many of our bad stretches, Lindy kept spreading out offensive talent across the 4 lines, seemingly in hope of getting some sort of offensive spark. But as the last two games have demonstrated (5-1 over Carolina, 6-1 over Boston), perhaps it would have been more wise to divide the team into 2 scoring lines, 2 grind lines.

I commented after the Carolina game how much I enjoyed watching the Ellis Paille Paetsch, and Goose Moore Mair lines play. They played with vigor and intensity, and weren't afraid to skate hard and engage in battles close to the net. Rob Ray had the same sentiment yesterday at the Boston game, claiming he "loved" how hard the 3rd and 4th lines worked. They played honest, hard working two way games. And what do you know; each line contributed on the scoreboard in each game.

Lindy had a habit all season of demoting some underachieving top 6 forwards to the bottom two lines. I assume he meant to use this to "wake them up", and get them back on tract to return them to a top two line position. However, all this practice did was take away from the bottom two lines' identity; they weren't grind lines anymore, they were some sort of pseudo lazy scoring/checking line that wouldn't accomplish much at all.

I think it may have been better if Lindy just scratched one of the underachieving forwards for a game. If they're not hungry to play, don't play them at all. Organize the bottom two lines so they can properly do their jobs. Don't send Hecht, MacArthur or Maxi down to the 3rd or 4th lines. They're not grind line types of players; why put them down there? I'd much rather see hungry Ellis or Paetsch up, then a lazy underachieving Hecht(for example).

Moral of the story: if you're skill set is that of a top six forward, you better play like one. If you aren't performing your role, you should sit a game out. Let the hungry players stay up.

good to see they didn't hold this team of players that could care less about winning against him, and that they recognize just how good of a coach he really is. IMHO, if Ruff is fired it would be one of the biggest mistakes this team has ever made---right up there with letting Drury walk. You can only show horses to water, you can't make them drink. This team night in and night out is prepared very well, and at the end of the day it is up to them to execute properly. This team is in desperate, desperate need of about 2 or 3 more guys who will come in and just pin guys to their locker and demand an explanation when they start doing their own thing instead of what Ruff wants them to do.

So why are coaches ever fired?

not saying he won't get fired, saying it would be a massive miscalculation of where the real problem lies to fire him...

Just a general question related to this comment. Does anyone else think that this could be a great opportunity for the Sabres to see if it is the coach that is really the problem? A successful campaign in this tournament would make it extremely difficult to fire him IMO.

It's going to be tough for me to be patriotic with Ruff behind the Canadian bench and Wilson behind ours.

Good call. I didn't even think of it till I read your post for some reason.

If Lindy does get fired (and don't think it'll happen) how long does it take for someone to pick him up?

Also, who else would have been in the running for the US job? Just wondering..

I am happy to see him and Trotz get the honor but I'm also happy that just maybe it's a case of 'what the Dr ordered' for Lindy to brush up his game for next year.

I am in that camp that Lindy didn't manage this years team as well as I think he could have. He didn't seem to have a good pulse on this team this year as evidenced by his own remarks and allot of his game in game out roster adjustments didn't work out like he was able to make them in the past.

So here's to hoping he uses this experience to get his edge and attitude back.

Archived