Vanek Not On The Ice At End???

bob_sauve28

As I said in the GDT:

Wooo....what just happened there with Lindy putting Paille and Mair out there at the end??? :o

Did you watch the first 58 minutes? The Paille-Gaustad-Mair line was the only one that did anything in the offensive zone. Sad state of affairs, though, that those guys played themselves into the play where the season is on the line and Vanek played himself out of it.

As I said in the GDT:

Did you watch the first 58 minutes? The Paille-Gaustad-Mair line was the only one that did anything in the offensive zone. Sad state of affairs, though, that those guys played themselves into the play where the season is on the line and Vanek played himself out of it.

I'm sorry, if this guy cost so much and is gobbling up a huge chunck of the salary cap he better be out there. Paille??? Give me a break, he can't score to save his ass. Mair is not in the line up to score a ton of goals. This is crazy!

I'm sorry, if this guy cost so much and is gobbling up a huge chunk of the salary cap he better be out there. Paille??? Give me a break, he can't score to save his ass. Mair is not in the line up to score a ton of goals. This is crazy!

I'm not saying that this was the best time for Lindy to be true to his words ("if guys like Matt Ellis and Adam Mair are the only ones that want to put in the effort, then they will play" or something like that), but the bolded part is a completely false statement. Contract decision are macro; who to put out there is micro. You play the guys that are playing the best, regardless of contracts. The time to worry about if he or anyone else is making the right amount of money is in the offseason.

Honestly, I think Vanek needs the offseason to fully recover from his jaw injury. Drinking your food for a couple of weeks messes with a pro-athlete and he hasn't been right.

Maybe Lindy was thinking if I bench TV now, he will come out pissed and on fire for the start of the playoffs, just like a few years ago. Well guess what Lindy, you don't have to worry because you're team folded like cheap lawn furniture when they needed to man up and show some passion.

I'm not saying that this was the best time for Lindy to be true to his words ("if guys like Matt Ellis and Adam Mair are the only ones that want to put in the effort, then they will play" or something like that), but the bolded part is a completely false statement. Contract decision are macro; who to put out there is micro. You play the guys that are playing the best, regardless of contracts. The time to worry about if he or anyone else is making the right amount of money is in the offseason.

Honestly, I think Vanek needs the offseason to fully recover from his jaw injury. Drinking your food for a couple of weeks messes with a pro-athlete and he hasn't been right.

In a perfect world, maybe. Vanek is a go to guy and is paid well for it. He should have been out there. Wasn't Paille sitting on his ass a few days ago, not even in the lineup, and now all of a sudden he's out there to save the season? :thumbdown:

In a perfect world, maybe. Vanek is a go to guy and is paid well for it. He should have been out there. Wasn't Paille sitting on his ass a few days ago, not even in the lineup, and now all of a sudden he's out there to save the season? :thumbdown:

Yeah, the only reason Paille was playing tonight was because Kaleta was injured. And then he's on the ice for the most crucial part of the game? Lindy is losing his mind too.

On a side note to this, maybe we get to see Peters play his last few games as a Sabre this week.

Well said. Sitting your franchise offensive player at crunch time is an indictment of either Vanek or Ruff. One or the other has to go at this point. (Lindy just said Vanek was tired, under the weather. Maybe he has the Ruff Flu.)

Well said. Sitting your franchise offensive player at crunch time is an indictment of either Vanek or Ruff. One or the other has to go at this point. (Lindy just said Vanek was tired, under the weather. Maybe he has the Ruff Flu.)

Did he mention that this flu just came on during the waning minutes of the third period? I thought I saw Vanek taking pretty much a regular shift up until then. Nice try Lindy.

I've had this feeling for awhile that Ruff wants to get fired. Too proud to quit, but too tired and exhausted to go on. And then this! This was really strange.

A little shocking but this team quit during Miller's absence. I think you get rid of Stafford, he has no heart and Roy tries to do too much and has made too many mistakes. The Tin man is locked up for too long, but the Sabres need a tough but creative center in return. Maybe lose Spacek and Tallinder and bring up all the young D guys all at once. Hecht needed to come back better after his injury and Paille can't score, so you can lose at least one of them and Stafford. Bring up the might mites next year and look for another center. I would love to find another Mike Grier. Not sure what to do about Max or if anyone else would want him??? Other than that, another disappointing season. P.S. UMass has a talented unsigned Sophomore center James Marcou who led Hockey East points. 15G-32A for 47 points in 39 games. Not bad and the Sabres could someone like that, p.s. the kid can skate and has wide shoulders.

None of the Sabres "big guns" on offense show up at clutch times. They never look desperate...they're just going through the motions. This is my main problem with Vanek, and why he will never be up there with the true star players of the league...he simply disappears when we need a goal the most, in clutch situations. He doesn't show enough fight and many times looks like he's skating in tar out there.

Pominville doesn't fight for the puck, go into the corners, or drive to the net. He shoots from 30 feet out everytime. Roy tries but often makes one too many moves and really doesn't get much help out there when he's in the corner battling...the others just stand and watch as he is outnumbered and give up the puck. For a team that is supposedly such a tight-knit group of pals, you wouldn't know it by the way they don't support each other on the ice. I'm not talking about fighting or getting in scrums, I'm talking about fighting for the puck.

Why is Lindy always trying to teach lessons. That's what school is for. It's time for him to start caring about winning games. Vanek should have been out there. I don't care how sick he was.

"Seriously, you don't feel good?? You has a tummy ache?? WTF?? Guess what, after the game, you can go buy more drugs than you could ever know what to do with, but until then, how about growing a pair and skating your highly paid, not so highly motivated arse onto the ice and earn your M.F. paycheck!!!!!" - We need this guy as our coach

Guest Sloth

Vanek is slowly becoming the Sabres next Miro Satan. The guy cannot score goals when they are needed. People keep on saying it was the injury that hurt his point production, and it has to certain extent. The point I'm trying to make is Vanek's numbers were beginning to hurt before the injury. He started out red hot, but Vanek was getting cold before he got smoked in the face.

As for the Vanek not being on the ice naysayers, get over it. Vanek would not have been a good choice. Through out the season players like Mair and Gaustad scored goals to wake the Sabres up. I was not disappointed w/ Ruff's choice. Lindy did not bench Vanek to send a message. He benched him to increase the Sabres chances of scoring a goal. The only player on the ice that should not have been out there was Paille. That was a dumbass decision.

it didn't matter who we stuck up there against the Wings. They're the real deal. If you have TV alongside

Zetterberg or Datsyuk, he'd be right up there. This year's Sabres just have too many holes.

The funny thing is that the Sabres can still make it!

it didn't matter who we stuck up there against the Wings. They're the real deal. If you have TV alongside

Zetterberg or Datsyuk, he'd be right up there. This year's Sabres just have too many holes.

The funny thing is that the Sabres can still make it!

Sorry, but this is BS. You read a lot of similar things over on TSW. Schobel would be better, if we had better DT's. Whitner would be better, if they had a pass rush, blah, blah, blah...

For 7 mil a year your play should be great no matter who your linemates are. It's not like he is playing with Ellis and Mair. Vanek's effort has been sub par at both ends of the rink. We've all seen flashes of Vanek when he really skates hard and that guy doesn't show up nearly often enough.

Sorry, but this is BS. You read a lot of similar things over on TSW. Schobel would be better, if we had better DT's. Whitner would be better, if they had a pass rush, blah, blah, blah...

For 7 mil a year your play should be great no matter who your linemates are. It's not like he is playing with Ellis and Mair. Vanek's effort has been sub par at both ends of the rink. We've all seen flashes of Vanek when he really skates hard and that guy doesn't show up nearly often enough.

I don't think so. If you're a sniper, you need real skill alongside you. Like Alfredsson with Heatley. I'm not sure who Ruff is putting Vanek with this week but it's certainly not Zetterberg or Datsyuk. The 7 mil/year is not the Sabres choice, they were forced into it. There's no way TV or any other hockey player, is worth anywhere near that. Vanek is a star but it looks like, he's not a superstar. This year, maybe you can blame it on the jaw injury. But I have a sneaking suspicion that TV is part of the Sabres disease called Europussy-itis.

I don't think so. If you're a sniper, you need real skill alongside you. Like Alfredsson with Heatley. I'm not sure who Ruff is putting Vanek with this week but it's certainly not Zetterberg or Datsyuk. The 7 mil/year is not the Sabres choice, they were forced into it. There's no way TV or any other hockey player, is worth anywhere near that. Vanek is a star but it looks like, he's not a superstar. This year, maybe you can blame it on the jaw injury. But I have a sneaking suspicion that TV is part of the Sabres disease called Europussy-itis.

I think you might want to look at the country of origin of about 7/8ths of the Detroit team before you make statements like this.

It's always amazing how after they lose the whole injury/flu thing comes out. If you're sick injured and can't play then don't. Cripes, they barely even put an honest effort into it when they're healthy.

Your #1 forward who makes $7 MILLION per season should be leading in TOI, be out for the entire 2 minutes of a PP, and be clutch. Vanek does none of these things, nor does he earn them.

I think Lindy's a little too clever for his own good, i.e siitting Vanek in crunch time last night. Remember 2 years ago, in the EC finals, we were desperate for goals, as 4 of our top 6 D went down and we needed to outscore Carolina. Lindy didn't even DRESS Vanek for most of that series. Vanek is one of the only sabres w/ the guts to stand in front of the net and get pounded regularly. If the team around him is not skilled enough to help him out, it is not his fault. Vanek is the least of our problems. Our pathetic D, that cannot put a shot ON THE NET, is the basis of problems. Lydman giveaways led directly to to Wings goals #2 and 3 last night. We've got a slew of D who can carry the puck, but otherwise suck: Hank, Lydman, Spacek, Numminen, Rivet- all the same guy: Good skaters, can carry the puck, can't shoot into an open net, and hit almost never. I say bring back Teddy Nolan. At least his teams had some fire.

And Stafford was sitting, too. As Was McArthur, who has been playing well lately.

Just saying, it looked really strange when you season was on the line and the goal scorers were sitting. What does it say about their worth, or Ruff's decison making. Something was wrong here

Archived