Season Recap

R_Dudley

Sitting here watching NJ and Phl beat on each other and seeing the Devils round into playoff form while Marty breaks SO record and now PGH playing well against Dal and FLA really well against WSH I started looking back on our Sabres record. And here is how it breaks down.

OCT :thumbsup: 6W-4L

NOV :thumbdown: 5W-8L

DEC :thumbdown: 6W-8L

JAN :thumbsup: 9W-4L

FEB :thumbdown: 5W-8L

MAR 12games :rolleyes: ?W-?L

APR 7games :rolleyes: ?W-?L

A couple other stats, we have played 12 Back to backs and a 3W - 9L w/those wins only after we lost the first game in the B to B.

The remaining 19 games have 17 against the East with most of those teams in the thick of the race or(toronto,Sens, etc.) playing better then us and also with 5 back to back games buried in those 19. (2 western conference games Det and Phx)...

Being the glass half full guy I have a hard time looking at these stats and hoping for the best with this current team. I can't help but wonder if the conclusion isn't that this team should be sellers this deadline and look to the future and start re-building around that core some others have already identified. If the deals aren't there then re-assign some veterans to AHL and bring up the kids your looking at for that future and let them learn how to play in the tight playoff like atmosphere the last 19 games should be but that some of the so called vets don't get.

I thought that I'd had this feeling before:

post-1053-1235942307_thumbjpg

(Net of a 93-point, roughly playoff, pace.)

Thanks, thats a great graph (forgot you had that) it says/shows all that is really needed, there are not enough difference makers on this team to change that trending....

Darcy you paying attention ???

Thanks, thats a great graph (forgot you had that) it says/shows all that is really needed, there are not enough difference makers on this team to change that trending....

I was happy with the 28 games (roughly a 1/3 of a season) prior to Vanek getting injured (the outcomes, anyway, if not the individual game performances), where they went 17-9-2 (64% of points) without an major dips. It was consistency like we hadn't seen in a long time; just a steady playoff-bound pace. Then, the wheels came off. I think that we all knew that they were playing a little too close to the edge and couldn't handle the loss of Vanek's offense.

Darcy you paying attention ???

"Change needs to come from within" - Darcy Regier.

I thought that I'd had this feeling before:

post-1053-1235942307_thumbjpg

(Net of a 93-point, roughly playoff, pace.)

Note: without Vanek, we are 3-5-2 (40% of points.)

I Love this graph. Not our place On it but love the graph.

Have U dun it for other teams?

I Love this graph. Not our place On it but love the graph.

Have U dun it for other teams?

Just the EC:

post-1053-1236009814_thumbjpg

I also like this table that shows the ranking for equal games played:

post-1053-1236010002_thumbjpg

(Note: it only starts assigning when 12 teams have played that number of games, so the lowest one shown is 63 games. Clearly, the Flyers will push us to 8th through 63 games, though with the tie-breaker, we're actually 9th. Also, both Pittsburgh and Carolina have played 64 games, so in the NHL rankings, they are higher, but we really have a game-in-hand.)

When I blur my eyes and stare at the final chart, I see Jesus eating a Filet O' Fish with Bea Arthur.

That's who it is. I kept thinking it was Angela Lansbury.

Definitely a down year in the East. With your set point of 93, at this time only 6 teams are on pace to be above it.

Definitely a down year in the East. With your set point of 93, at this time only 6 teams are on pace to be above it.

Actually, I have last year's numbers for all but the bottom four teams (if I get a sec, I'll add those and post the chart) and there were only five teams that were above the 93-point pace through 63/64 games, all of which made the playoffs (though, the Sens really tried hard not to.) There were three more that were within four points (there are four in that category this year), of which two made it (we, of course, were the third.) The worst team through 64 games to actually make it was the Capitals, who were 7.5 points off pace (so don't count out the Maple Leafs, yet.) Interestingly, the best teams last year were just 8 points above pace at this point in the season. There are three teams that are 12 or more above this year and the Bruins are 22 above. The top and bottom seem more separated this year, while the middle is tighter and actually up slightly from last year. It will be interesting to see who makes the strong pushes at the end, but I would expect 93-94 points to be the requirement again this year.

Archived