TBN Rumor- Connolly to Columbus?

Two or less

That brings us to the latest ?Tim Connolly is headed for [insert team]? chatter making the rounds in recent weeks. This one had the pending unrestricted free agent going to Columbus, where the Blue Jackets have been clamoring for a center of Connolly?s ilk.

And why not?

Connolly alongside Rick Nash would be frightening with the big winger manning the left side and the right-handed center wheeling and dealing the way he can when healthy. Nash potted 26 goals before their game Tuesday in Calgary, an output that would soar past 40 with a true playmaker to his right.

Coming back, supposedly, would be defenseman Rostislav Klesla. The 6- foot-3, 225-pounder has been sidelined since Feb. 10 with a shoulder injury, but should be back soon. Klesla, 26, taken fourth overall in 2000, is signed through next season at $2.25 million.

Link- http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/story/589641.html

Didn't see it posted anywhere. If it is discusses somewhere else then sorry.

I do like Klesla's game a lot but Connolly is just so good. I don't know if i'd do it. Out offense is struggling a lot.

I do like Klesla's game a lot but Connolly is just so good. I don't know if i'd do it. Out offense is struggling a lot.

I'd hate this deal we have a glut of D-men. Isn't last nights game evidence of our lack of scoring ability.

Unless Spacek or Tallinder are going to be traded at the deadline. I don't see a need to bring an another defenseman. I guess you could look at Klesla long term for next year(he is signed through next season) as a Spacek replacement(if he is not re-signed). The biggest problem though is replacing Connolly for the remainder of this season.

Scouting report from sportsnet.ca...

Assets

Has ideal NHL size, and he loves to hit people. Possesses hockey sense and untapped scoring upside from the blueline.

Flaws

Must start avoiding serious injuries in order to maximize potential. Isn't quite polished enough in any aspect of the game.

Career potential

Top four defenseman.

I'm calling NFW on this and all other Connolly trade rumors. We're trying to make the playoffs. Therefore we are not trading him.

If there was a guarantee that Connolly could stay healthy, I would agree, but Timmy is a ticking time bomb that couldend up on IR in a snap, and will be an UFA, so ifthey can get some help elsewhere for him, I say do it, but only if the price is right, don't give him away for nothing

As much as I want them to trade Connolly I would vote nay on this one. I would rather not trade one question mark for another. What is there a greater possibility of? Connolly getting hurt again or this defenseman not panning out? It's seems the greater reward comes with keeping Connolly in regards to this trade. I would rather the Sabres look elsewhere.

Based on what Darcy said in that interview with Kevin Sylvester, I just don't think the Sabres are going to trade Connolly away unless they are getting a #1 or #2 Center such as an Olli Jokinen as part of the package or in a separate deal altogether. Unless a team comes in with a humongous offer like a first rounder, a roster player, and a top prospect, I just can't see Connolly getting traded unless Darcy absolutely fleeces the other team. And given Connolly's injury history, you are not going to get that kind of a return in a trade for him and hence I just can't see him getting traded. He's more benefit to the Sabres than he is to any other team right now.

Sort of my expectations after the deadline are the following:

- Connolly, Kotalik, and Spacek will all remain with the Sabres

- Max, Tallinder, and MacArthur will all be traded. Max will get traded and some team desperate to make the playoffs such as one that has never made the playoffs or has not made it in so long will take a flyer on Max and risk giving up a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick to acquire him. Tallinder will be part of a package that lands the Sabres a scoring forward. MacArthur will be part of a package that helps the Sabres get a depth defenseman to compensate for the Tallinder trade. MacArthur is basically this year's Jiri Novotny.

- The Sabres will be giving up two of the following: a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, or 4th round pick in future drafts

- The Sabres will acquire a goalie either an NHL or AHL level goalie in order to send Enroth down at a minimum if nothing else as Portland has absolutely no goalies right now

- The Sabres might acquire a defenseman with size, especially true if they trade Tallinder away

- The Sabres will acquire a forward who can score

These are my predictions for the deadline. Let's see how accurate they are.

I think Buffalo would be getting ripped off here. Connolly is vital to the Sabres' playoff aspirations. Why would we trade him for an injury-prone defenseman that never reached his full potential? Doesn't make sense to me. I bet you if there's any truth to this, it was Columbus that picked Connolly as the player they would want in return for Klesla, not Buffalo calling Columbus offering Connolly. I just don't think Regier would call and offer him for Klesla.

My prediction for the deadline is that Darcy finally finds a way to rid us of Afinogenov--likely for a very late round pick like a 5th or 6th. Then he packages Paetsch and a draft pick for a forward that none of the so-called "experts" are saying is available. I think Darcy is good at that--getting players that might be under the radar a bit. I just can't wait to laugh at the teams that give up their whole future for rentals like Bill Guerin and Keith Tkachuk.

as we know TC's value is hard to quantify. if he walks as a FA -- so be it. they ought to jsut keep him of the playoff and see if he can help them in the serie(s) they might have.

remember, they got pyatt and him for peca -- and pecs is pretty much done as a pro. so, it is what it is. i mean, regier then got value for pyatt from vancouver -- so it connolly walks, the peca deal will not hurt the francise. and that is the way to look at a trade or a FA loss IMO.

just keep the guy as an assett for the last 20 games and then let him sign the deal we say to stay (low yrs low at low $ -- stressing that he has a glass jaw/egg shell syndrom problem) or let him test FA. BTW, he will play his heart out for the last 20 games -- as he is playing for a deal. so the sabres, if anything else, will get a passionate contract seeking player.

You call those guys D-men?

The team has a glut of guys that are called defencemen, but itsnot a glut of quality defencemen

At least send

out of Bflo. (Why the non sequitur link? I haven't forgotten the fact that Lydman loves death metal.)

What do you guys think about picking up Scott Clemmensen from NJ for Lalime or a pick, guy is pretty decent in net.

Interesting, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. I could be wrong, but Darcy is not likely to do a major crapshoot at the trade deadline.

I just couldn't believe it when he sent Brian Campbell packing to SJ last year. <_<

PREDICTION: Darcy will do something at the deadline....It may not be huge, but he will make a deal!

PREDICTION: Darcy will do something at the deadline....It may not be huge, but he will make a deal!

I certainly wouldn't count on any "Butch Goring" type of deals. That was one in a million right there.

as we know TC's value is hard to quantify. if he walks as a FA -- so be it. they ought to jsut keep him of the playoff and see if he can help them in the serie(s) they might have.

remember, they got pyatt and him for peca -- and pecs is pretty much done as a pro. so, it is what it is. i mean, regier then got value for pyatt from vancouver -- so it connolly walks, the peca deal will not hurt the francise. and that is the way to look at a trade or a FA loss IMO.

just keep the guy as an assett for the last 20 games and then let him sign the deal we say to stay (low yrs low at low $ -- stressing that he has a glass jaw/egg shell syndrom problem) or let him test FA. BTW, he will play his heart out for the last 20 games -- as he is playing for a deal. so the sabres, if anything else, will get a passionate contract seeking player.

That would be fine ifthe Sabres were Cup Contenders and looked like they could go deep in the playoffs, but that is not realistic with this team, they were just shut out by the worst team in the league who played without one of their top veterans. If Buffalo makes the playoffs, they won't be going far without some major changes. Timmy can be good, but theres always a chancethat one hit will end his season and then what? I think if theres value for him, you make a deal that will give you a fair return and then give him a call when he becomes a FA at the end of the year if you reallywant him back

Did I hear Darren Dreger on GR right today that he thinks that Connolly will get a multi-year extension at 4 mil a pop? Or, did he mean that we would get that on the market? But, he did say that (a) there is no extension offer as of yet (although he did agree that they could have informal discussion about the possibilities), (b) in NHL temporal space, Wed is a long way away and that many things can still happen. If the multi-year thing happens then someone will have abducted and replaced LQ and DR with pod people.

Did I hear Darren Dreger on GR right today that he thinks that Connolly will get a multi-year extension at 4 mil a pop? Or, did he mean that we would get that on the market? But, he did say that (a) there is no extension offer as of yet (although he did agree that they could have informal discussion about the possibilities), (b) in NHL temporal space, Wed is a long way away and that many things can still happen. If the multi-year thing happens then someone will have abducted and replaced LQ and DR with pod people.

The idea of us giving Timmy a multi-year deal at $4M per scares the living crap outta me.

I'll take Connolly at $4 million per year. Like 3 years.

Connolly ain't dumb. And his agent, is even smarter. Why would he ASK for 1 year? Come on, think outside the box, the guy has a family and bills too. One hit could send him into retirement. No doubt the thing that is holding up talks in number of years and not as much as salary.... if it's 3 years, i'll take it at $12 million for Connolly. He's our best player when healthy.

And our worst when not. Which has he been more over the last three seasons?

I'd take the risk. We won't replace him in the market and don't have a Connolly type in prospects. At $4 million, it's a big risk, but also could be a huge reward.

Archived