Rangers and Canadiens

NowDoYouBelieve

Wow oh wow, the two teams immediately ahead of us in the East standings are playing simply horrible hockey right now. The rangers got shut out by the Devils 3-0 earlier today and the Canadiens are currently trailing the Flames 4-2 after allowing 2 short handed goals in the second period. This is our chance to strike. Assuming the Canadiens do indeed lose, we can move into a true tie for 5th place with a win on Wednesday (as soon as the Canadiens game ends, all three teams will have played 54 games). Don't be too shocked if both the Rangers and Canadiens are on the outside looking in once the playoffs come around, they are just stinking up the joint.

Wow oh wow, the two teams immediately ahead of us in the East standings are playing simply horrible hockey right now. The rangers got shut out by the Devils 3-0 earlier today and the Canadiens are currently trailing the Flames 4-2 after allowing 2 short handed goals in the second period. This is our chance to strike. Assuming the Canadiens do indeed lose, we can move into a true tie for 5th place with a win on Wednesday (as soon as the Canadiens game ends, all three teams will have played 54 games). Don't be too shocked if both the Rangers and Canadiens are on the outside looking in once the playoffs come around, they are just stinking up the joint.

The Sabres need to make those games mean something with a solid two point effort on Wednesday.

The Sabres must absolutely capitalize on these losses Wednesday night with a win against Ottawa. I know Vanek's hurt, but this is a critical game to establish themselves in the standings and solidify a spot in the top 8. They need this win and the momentum from it to carry forward while hoping for losses from the teams around them until Vanek gets back. We just need to win and keep pace with everyone around us. Great news today, but the Sabres have to take advantage of it.

The Sabres must absolutely capitalize on these losses Wednesday night with a win against Ottawa.

Well, technically, those were games-in-hand for the Rangers and Canadiens, so they failed to capitalize on the Sabres getting just one point in their 54th game. However, point remains that the Sabres need to capitalize on the poor play of those teams (assuming that it continues) in order to move up in the standings.

Great time to have Vanek and Goose out. :thumbdown:

I have to say I am stunned by these two team's drop off(Vanek-man will let you know how stunned). Its just another reason why I don't understand the sentiment out there that Buffale is still a couple of years away from truly contending. Other then Detroit, which team would you give Buffalo zero chance against?

I have to say I am stunned by these two team's drop off(Vanek-man will let you know how stunned). Its just another reason why I don't understand the sentiment out there that Buffale is still a couple of years away from truly contending. Other then Detroit, which team would you give Buffalo zero chance against?

With the lines they may be going into Wednesday with?

Connolly-Hecht-Stafford

Roy-Pommer-MacArthur

Mair-Kotalik-Paille

Ellis-Peters-Paetsch

Zero chance? Maybe not. I wouldn't consider them a favorite no matter who they play with this lineup.

Other then Detroit, which team would you give Buffalo zero chance against?

I still think they may be a player or two away. I'd love to see another top six forward with playoff experience and grit, a third/fourth line type of grinding center to win faceoffs, and/or a rugged defenseman that the playoffs seem to warrant.

With the lines they may be going into Wednesday with?

Connolly-Hecht-Stafford

Roy-Pommer-MacArthur

Mair-Kotalik-Paille

Ellis-Peters-Paetsch

Zero chance? Maybe not. I wouldn't consider them a favorite no matter who they play with this lineup.

You are omitting from the analysis the 2 most important elements of playoff hockey -- goaltending and defense. The Sabres are looking pretty strong on both. And Vanek will be back well before the playoffs. And other teams (Montreal and Boston) have lost important players to injury too that may not be back for the playoffs. If you-know-who stays healthy, and if a few other things, we really could make a decent run in the playoffs.

I still think they may be a player or two away. I'd love to see another top six forward with playoff experience and grit, a third/fourth line type of grinding center to win faceoffs, and/or a rugged defenseman that the playoffs seem to warrant.

I like your wish list, but realistically I can see us only adding one guy for a playoff run. I think if we do, it would be a good forward.

And Vanek will be back well before the playoffs.

Don't forget Gaustad, too.

I'd like to add a LW, who can play center. A guy like Weight or even Prospal (used to play center where he was an assist machine and is 51% for his career on faceoffs.) I could see going forward with these lines:

Vanek-Connolly-Stafford

(New Guy)-Roy-Pommer

Hecht-Gaustad-Kaleta

Peatsch/Paille-Ellis-Mair

Trade away Kotalik and possibly MacArthur.

Actually, while I didn't say it well, that is my point. They are a couple of pieces away, so why not go for it now instead of still planning for a year or two.

Actually, while I didn't say it well, that is my point. They are a couple of pieces away, so why not go for it now instead of still planning for a year or two.

IIRC, doesn't the Sabres FO have a self-imposed salary cap that is well-below the league's? Not sure if they're trying to keep it to that limit in order to be a buyer at the trade deadline, but, IMO, they appear to be much shrewder than that.

I just don't see them making a big splash at the trade deadline. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Sabres history ever since Darcy arrived on the scence has proven this.

I just don't see them making a big splash at the trade deadline. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Sabres history ever since Darcy arrived on the scence has proven this.

March 11,1999 Matt Barnaby to Pittsburgh for Stu Barnes

March 23,1999 Alexei Tezikov to Washington for Joe Juneau and a 2000 4th round draft pick (Tim Preston) (Sabres 4th round pick sent later as compensation)

March 23,1999 Mike Wilson to Florida for Rhett Warrener and a 1999 5th round draft pick (Ryan Miller)

March 23,1999 Derek Plante to Dallas for 1999 2nd round draft pick (Michael Zigomanis)

January 24,2000 A 2000 8th round pick, and a 6th round pick in 2001 to Los Angeles for Vladimir Tsyplakov, 8th round pick in 2001 (Marek Dubec)

March 10,2000 Cory Sarich, Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger and a 2000 3rd round draft pick to Tampa Bay for Chris Gratton and a 2001 2nd round draft pick (Derek Roy).

March 10,2000 Michal Grosek to Chicago for Doug Gilmour and Jean-Pierre Dumont

March 13,2001 3rd round pick in 2001 to Columbus for Steve Heinze

March 13,2001 Kamil Piros, 4th round pick in 2001 to Atlanta for Donald Audette

March 19,2002 5th round pick in 2002 draft to Atlanta for Bob Corkum

February 25,2003 Vaclav Varada and a 5ht round pick in 2003 entry draft to Ottawa Senators for Jakub Klepis

March 10,2003 Stu Barnes to Dallas Stars for Mike Ryan and a 2nd round pick in 2003 entry draft

March 10,2003 Chris Gratton and a 4th round pick in 2004 entry draft to Phoenix Coyotes for Daniel Briere and a 3rd round pick in 2004

March 10,2003 Rob Ray to Ottawa Senators for future considerations

March 08,2004 4th round pick in 2005 to Minnesota for defenseman Brad Brown and a 6th round pick in 2005.

March 09,2004 Curtis Brown to San Jose for Jeff Jillson

March 09,2004 Jakub Klepis to Washington for Mike Grier

March 09,2004 Andy Delmore to San Jose for 9th round pick in 2004 entry draft.

March 09,2006 Mika Noronen to Vancouver for the Canucks' 2nd round pick in the 2006 draft.

February 27,2007 Traded Jiri Novotny and a 2007 1st round pick to the Washington Capitals for Dainius Zubrus and Timo Helbling.

February 27,2007 Martin Biron to the Philadelphia Flyers for Flyers' 2007 2nd round pick.

February 27,2007 5th round pick in 2007 to Columbus Blue Jackets for goalie Ty Conklin.

February 27,2007 4th round pick in 2007 to Nashville Predators for Mikko Lehtonen.

I bolded the significant pick ups. I suppose it depends on your definition of "a big splash", but I'd say they have been players more often than not at the trading deadline.

I bolded the significant pick ups. I suppose it depends on your definition of "a big splash", but I'd say they have been players more often than not at the trading deadline.

Ok, thanks for the info.

I guess when I'm thinking "big splash", it would have been for someone like Chris Pronger, Jamie Langenbrunner, or Teemu Selanne back in their younger days.

Sometimes it's not the big names that get a team a Stanley Cup. In fact, I hadn't heard of Butch Goring until the Islanders got their first Cup.

Then again, some "big names" have been duds in the past, i.e. Philly and Daniel Briere (thus far).

Archived