D Chris Pronger

D Kevin Lowe

PP Bossy, Gretzky, Lemieux, Housley, MacInnis

PK Gainey, Francis, Stevens, Lowe

Coach: Glen Sather

Assistants: Scott Bowman

Subs: Mark Messier

Sergei Zubov

Hypothetically speaking, has that team being practicing and playing together for a while before the Sabres play them or is it just thrown together like an All-Star team? If it's the latter, it would be a lot better for the Sabres than the former. Not saying that they'd win, but chemistry can make up for a lot of talent.

Picture this scenario:

Coach Ditka vs. God, who would win?

Personally, I would have to go with God, but it would be in overtime.

Another scenario:

Coach Ditka vs. a hurricane, with the special stipulation that the hurricane's name is Hurricane Ditka. Who would win?

And another...

Mini Bears vs. Giants

Humor:

2008-09 Sabres Verse:

RW Dino Ciccarelli

C Eric Lindros

LW Glen Anderson

RW Mike Bossy

C Wayne Gretzky

LW Wendell Clark

RW Teemu Selanne

C Mario Lemieux

LW Gary Roberts

RW Theo Fleury

C Ron Francis

LW Bob Gainey

D Al MacInnis

D Ray Bourque

D Scott Stevens

D Phil Housley

D Chris Pronger

D Kevin Lowe

Sergei Zubov

What's the Chorus?

Humor:

2008-09 Sabres Verse:

RW Dino Ciccarelli

C Eric Lindros

LW Glen Anderson

RW Mike Bossy

C Wayne Gretzky

LW Wendell Clark

RW Teemu Selanne

C Mario Lemieux

LW Gary Roberts

RW Theo Fleury

C Ron Francis

LW Bob Gainey

D Al MacInnis

D Ray Bourque

D Scott Stevens

D Phil Housley

D Chris Pronger

D Kevin Lowe

Sergei Zubov

Sabres win 17-3.

Playing 6 skaters for 60 minutes is a bad idea, and I can only advise against it.

BTW,

The goalies for this club are:

Pat Roy

Mike Richter (backup)

The team has been together for one season.

Their play-by-play guy is Bob Cole; Harry Neil (color); and Dirk Irvin, Jr. is the 3rd guy in the booth.

Trainer: Bearcat Murray

Skates: Ripper

GM: Neil Smith

Organ Player: The guy from Slapshot who wears the Helmet.

Off Season Conditioning Coach: Randy Coutour of the UFC

National Anthem Singer: Rene Rancourt (old Bruins singer with mustach who would pump his arm in the air); and Andre Ouellet (bearded Habs singer).

They play in the Winnepeg Arena.

First Period (opening faceoff):

ON ICE (RW Dino Ciccarelli; C Eric Lindros; LW Glen Anderson; Pronger; Lowe)

ON ICE (LW Vanek; C Roy; RW Pominville; Spacek; Lydman)

Roy wins the draw, puck back to Spacek (behind the play Ciccarelli buttends Vanek in the neck (no call))

Spacek gains the redline and dumps it in. Pronger calmly collects and fires up to Anderson who blazes through the neutral zone and rips a shot from 43 feet out -- Miller save to the corner. Lydman collects and gets drilled by Lindros and Ciccarelli together -- shoulder limp/ most likely separated. Puck still in the zone as Vanek can't clear with Lowe pinching. Lowe wins battle and slips puck to the corner and behind the net. Lindros collects /cycles puck and finds Anderson and Ciccarelli in front for a goal. Pronger is also down low in the crease throwing players into the net and tossing guys around. On review, Miller, the puck, Spacek, Lydman, Roy are all in the net -- 1 -0. Lowe is barking at Vanek after the goal (shows Vanek his mouth with 10 missing teeth )and frightens him. Roy gets slew footed after the goal by Ciccarelli and goes to the dressing room for repairs. Lindros, after the goal gets in Millers face and informs him that he is going to run him over next shift. Noticing, Spacek puts his glove on #88's shoulder - Glen Anderson takes notice and comes over and gives Spacek a facewash and then attacks Pominville who is pinned up against the glass by his neck by Pronger. Ray Scapinello, Kerry Fraser and Kevin Collins break it up.

Picture this scenario:

Coach Ditka vs. God, who would win?

Personally, I would have to go with God, but it would be in overtime.

Another scenario:

Coach Ditka vs. a hurricane, with the special stipulation that the hurricane's name is Hurricane Ditka. Who would win?

And another...

Mini Bears vs. Giants

trick question.

Ditka IS God.

What is Versus station? And good point about verse being the wrong word. As a grammer school english teacher, it must be incredibly hard for you to see the word verse used incorrectly. BTW, any comments on the body of the thread? i.e., what about this team vERSUS the sabes?

In case the sports channel wasn't enough of a clue for you, it's "versus," not "verse".

/Random pet peeve

What is Versus station? And good point about verse being the wrong word. As a grammer school english teacher, it must be incredibly hard for you to see the word verse used incorrectly. BTW, any comments on the body of the thread? i.e., what about this team vERSUS the sabes?

It's not my fault you don't know what "verse" means. They're not even the same part of speech. It's like having a title that says, "This Roster Poodle the 2008-09 Sabres".

I still don't get it ... I mean, you put together a historically great super team and then want comments on how it would fare against a regular team? I mean, the greatest team of my lifetime I think is the 1976-77 Canadiens (60-8-12, 132 pts, 387 GF, 171 GA ... they scored 54 more goals than anyone else ... and I am not sure that team would look very good matched up with the one you put together.

Remember, back then 4th lines and 6th defensemen rarely played, but even if you just take the top 3 lines it looks like an average team compared you yours ... and this may have been the BEST TEAM EVER ... So I don't get how we are even supposed to compare the Sabres to that team when the Sabres can't hold this team's collective jock ...

RW Guy LaFleur

C Jacques Lemaire

LW Steve Shutt

RW Yvan Cournoyer

C Pete Mahovlich

LW Yvon Lambert

RW Mario Tremblay

C Doug Risebrough

LW Bob Gainey

RW Jimmy Roberts

C Doug Jarvis

LW Murray Wilson

D Larry Robinson

D Guy Lapointe

D Serge Savard

D Bill Nyrop

D Pierre Bouchard

D Rick Chartraw

G Ken Dryden

G Michel Larocque

I still don't get it ... I mean, you put together a historically great super team and then want comments on how it would fare against a regular team? I mean, the greatest team of my lifetime I think is the 1976-77 Canadiens (60-8-12, 132 pts, 387 GF, 171 GA ... they scored 54 more goals than anyone else ... and I am not sure that team would look very good matched up with the one you put together.

Remember, back then 4th lines and 6th defensemen rarely played, but even if you just take the top 3 lines it looks like an average team compared you yours ... and this may have been the BEST TEAM EVER ... So I don't get how we are even supposed to compare the Sabres to that team when the Sabres can't hold this team's collective jock ...

RW Guy LaFleur

C Jacques Lemaire

LW Steve Shutt

RW Yvan Cournoyer

C Pete Mahovlich

LW Yvon Lambert

RW Mario Tremblay

C Doug Risebrough

LW Bob Gainey

RW Jimmy Roberts

C Doug Jarvis

LW Murray Wilson

D Larry Robinson

D Guy Lapointe

D Serge Savard

D Bill Nyrop

D Pierre Bouchard

D Rick Chartraw

G Ken Dryden

G Michel Larocque

It was a different game then, but wow, WOW, what a roster.

Archived