Bad night for Sabres prospects

Two or less

Wanted to add my opinion on a different post so it doesn't ruin the videos for people. I actually don't mind Ennis throwing his stick at Kyle Beach. The dude had a breakaway and stopped to show boat before he scored. That's not called for. It's like when Whitner tackled that douchbag in the endzone vs. the Raiders.

And Tropp.... the view is pretty bad. Tropps was hit, then his teammates nails out the UM player, but then Tropp appears to hit him while he's down.

And the announcers in the first video were maybe the worst i've ever heard in my life.

Wanted to add my opinion on a different post so it doesn't ruin the videos for people. I actually don't mind Ennis throwing his stick at Kyle Beach. The dude had a breakaway and stopped to show boat before he scored. That's not called for. It's like when Whitner tackled that douchbag in the endzone vs. the Raiders.

And Tropp.... the view is pretty bad. Tropps was hit, then his teammates nails out the UM player, but then Tropp appears to hit him while he's down.

And the announcers in the first video were maybe the worst i've ever heard in my life.

It's looks like he swung his stick at him. That is very disturbing.

Looks like the commentator lost his job: http://neatesager.blogspot.com/2009/01/no-...ons-finest.html

He was talking about Tropp, not Ennis.

I did see that right? He did take a slap shot at his head while the kid was on the ice? Did something else happen prior to that play. It seemed like a simple check and a gross overreaction. Didn't he also shove the linesman? There has to be a major suspension. Watching that play I have to wonder if the kid has the mental make-up for the intensity of professional hockey. If he is going react like that after a simple check what will he do when he takes a more serious hit.

I did see that right? He did take a slap shot at his head while the kid was on the ice? Did something else happen prior to that play. It seemed like a simple check and a gross overreaction. Didn't he also shove the linesman? There has to be a major suspension. Watching that play I have to wonder if the kid has the mental make-up for the intensity of professional hockey. If he is going react like that after a simple check what will he do when he takes a more serious hit.

Very true. Although truth be told, i have been wildly disappointed in Tropp this season. I know he was sick earlier in the season, but he had a decent freshman year (6g, 11a, 17pt) while playing on the 4th line. Played with little talent, played some on the penalty kill and scored nicly. This season he played a few times on the first line and a lot on the 2nd line, and in 21 games, has 3 goals and 8 assists to show for it. He's exactly on pace for another 6 goal season. Not exactly the development you expect from freshman to sophomore season. And this play right here, you just really have to wonder if this kid can even compete in the AHL.

It did look like he gave the kid a little love tap with his stick. As for pushing the linesman, I believe (hope) that he thought it was a Michigan player since the linesman came in behind him and he just turned quickly to give a shove.

I think you're right. Not good at all.

If one moment in time as an 18 or 19 year old defines the rest of our life, we would all be in a lot of trouble.

Tropp slashed the kids throat and hit him again in the head with his stick after the first Spartan punched him from behind. The Michigan player had just come back from a skull fracture that he got in an off ice altercation. I have seen reports of an older man breaking into the locker room after Tropp was tossed and starting a fight with him. Tropp will be suspened 3 games just from the league before the play is reviewed.

If one moment in time as an 18 or 19 year old defines the rest of our life, we would all be in a lot of trouble.

This is a little more than your average teenage high jinks. Assaulting a player while they lay on the ice is pretty serious. Even at 18 or 19 you would hope to see a little more respect and self control.

This is a little more than your average teenage high jinks. Assaulting a player while they lay on the ice is pretty serious. Even at 18 or 19 you would hope to see a little more respect and self control.

I don't think this incident will define his hockey career, but it certainly isn't going to help his reputation as a hockey player going forward. Teenager or not, you make bad decisions, you pay for them. Sometimes, you pay a little longer than you thought. This could stay with him for quite some time. I hope he has a good support team around him to help him realize the severity of what he did, and hopefully, he'll learn from it and move forward.

I don't think this incident will define his hockey career, but it certainly isn't going to help his reputation as a hockey player going forward. Teenager or not, you make bad decisions, you pay for them. Sometimes, you pay a little longer than you thought. This could stay with him for quite some time. I hope he has a good support team around him to help him realize the severity of what he did, and hopefully, he'll learn from it and move forward.

Is it possible that he loses his scholarship? From the outside looking in this appears to be a serious situation. Within the world of college hockey how serious is this?

Is it possible that he loses his scholarship? From the outside looking in this appears to be a serious situation. Within the world of college hockey how serious is this?

I'm no expert on this, but typically scholarships are lost for "off-field" incidents. The exceptions I can think of off hand are repeat offenders of continued unsportsmanlike conduct type situations. I'm not sure what his standing was with the team prior to this, but if he was clean, I wouldn't think he'd be tossed. What's the room the NCAA has in handing down decisions? Can they strip his scholarship, or does the school make that decision? I would think the NCAA is going to have something to say about this......

Tropp, what were you thinking?

Sure there is a rivalry here, sure the fans are looking for blood. I wouldn't be surprised if someone went into the locker room after him.

Guys, this is the same fan base that yells "First down bitch" at the football games. Players need to keep themselves in check. It's not like Tropp got an elbow or something. It was a good check. Using your stick as a club just ain't good.

I'm no expert on this, but typically scholarships are lost for "off-field" incidents. The exceptions I can think of off hand are repeat offenders of continued unsportsmanlike conduct type situations. I'm not sure what his standing was with the team prior to this, but if he was clean, I wouldn't think he'd be tossed. What's the room the NCAA has in handing down decisions? Can they strip his scholarship, or does the school make that decision? I would think the NCAA is going to have something to say about this......

I truly hope for his sake this is a one time occurrence and it doesn't cost him everything. That is a disturbing clip that will haunt him. I can imagine that the Sabres will be paying close attention to his future actions. He may end up with some extensive evaluations beyond what other players will endure when it comes time for a professional contract.

Basically, they can take away a scholarship without having any major reason. They're renewed on a yearly basis (not sure if Tropp has anything more than a partial anyway). They won't do anything here though.

I wish I could see the whole game because I've read enough to suggest that it wasn't exactly the cleanest of matchups. It sounds like the classic case where the refs let too much go, leading to things getting out of hand. They need to be held accountable as well.

edit: Also, I think Conboy will be the one that sees a far more serious punishment.

It looks to me like Tropp was trying to antagonize him, not purposely hit him in the head, but Conboy realized that the guy on the ice was seriously hurt. If you notice, he pushes Tropp away.

I agree with shrader that this seems like the result of a game that the refs let get out of control. Not to say that excuses Conboy's hit or Tropp trying to be a goon - but we all know that a tense hockey not managed well can crescendo into fights and other ugliness.

Conboy and Tropp are done for the year. I'm a bit surprised, but then again, it's already a lost season for Michigan State. I hate the fact that this may have influenced the decision, but I can't ignore the possibility.

I would like to some type of punishment go to the coach and Michigan State's hockey program as well. It's time that organizations take a bigger responsibility for the players they put on the field or ice. Not just in the NCAA but in professional sports in general. Disgusting displays like this are becoming far too common.

I would like to some type of punishment go to the coach and Michigan State's hockey program as well. It's time that organizations take a bigger responsibility for the players they put on the field or ice. Not just in the NCAA but in professional sports in general. Disgusting displays like this are becoming far too common.

The team issued the suspensions, so that is the only form of accountability you will see from them. It happens all the time. Players are suspended for theft, getting invovled in fights in public, drinking when they're not supposed to, and all of this on ice stuff. It never falls back on the coaches. Sure, sometimes it will eventually fall on the coach, but a guy like Comley who is very highly regarded will never have to pay for something like this. Right or wrong, it's a lot easier to replace a couple players than it is to replace on the of winningest coaches of all time who also has 2 national championships under his belt.

Then again, if there isn't any history of this kind of thing with his teams, it's hard to place a majority of the blame on him. A guy who has coached for 30+ years is going to get the benefit of doubt when something like this happens.

Archived